“Best doughnuts ever”

Ranked #1 of 185 Dessert in Chicago
Price range: US$0 - US$3
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Neighbourhood: Near North Side
Description: We serve artisanal hand-crafted doughnuts in classic flavors, creating small batches to preserve quality. Each of our shops offers a unique menu and daily specials, available until we sell out.
Reviewed 3 September 2014

I HIGHLY recommend getting your butt out of bed and walking to The Doughnut Vault to wait in line for the BEST doughnuts of your life. It was about a mile from our hotel, about a 45 minute wait in line and then a mile back to the hotel, but it was so worth it. The sour cream doughnut definitely lived up to the hype and the vanilla glazed was delectable. I'm not a jelly doughnut fan, but the strawberry filled...I don't even have words. Amazing. Just go.

1  Thank heathers0612
There are newer reviews for Doughnut Vault

Reviewed 3 September 2014

My advice to you is to get here early because once he sells out the shop closes for the day. We undoubtedly indulged in the best doughnuts that we have ever tasted!

Reviewed 29 August 2014 via mobile

My friend and I stopped in late-morning, so there were only a few varieties left, all of which were delicious though! There's a super small patio outside so if you're looking to sit and enjoy you may have to wait or move on. I got the chocolate and chestnut glaze and my friend got the vanilla. They were fantastic and HUGE! If you're going with a small group I suggest all getting something different and sharing unless you want to be on a major sugar-high! :)

Reviewed 25 August 2014

We were in town and my foodie friend said, "you have to try the Donut Vault." Wow! This place is a gem. We came at 10:30 on a Tuesday. There was a few people outside the signature blue door. The line moved fast. When we got to the front of the clean but closet like space, we were greater by a nice young man. The rack of donuts was on his left and the register on his right. We asked for "one of each" and without moving he filled the box and rang us up. We made is as far as the table outside before launching in. The donuts are HUGE and so delicious. Although we did not get a filled donut (they were out) there seemed to be little variation in the dough of the ones that we did try. The variation came in the glaze. They were all amazing but the chestnut was out of this world. The only other variation was the stack of 3 ginger donuts. The texture was great and it was fun to get a stack. My friend kept saying "slow down, I don't feel like you are really tasting it". She was probably right, but it was that good."

Next time we are in town, we will be back. Maybe we will come earlier and hope for more variety.

1  Thank jsc813
Reviewed 24 August 2014

There is a reason for the line. These doughnuts are certainly better than what is offered by the chain stores. Interesting flavors and a good cake doughnut. But they are too sweet for me. And I won't wait in an hour line for anything. I caught a break later on a Monday morning. I walked by on Fri, Sat. and Sun. and the line stretched to the corner.

1  Thank 1Rahhalatun