“Quaint hotel in Lincoln Park”
Review of City Suites Hotel

City Suites Hotel
Ranked #113 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 27 September 2013

We initially had reservations at their sister hotel, The Willows, which is a few blocks away. When we arrived at the Willows, we were too early for check in. I just wanted them to hold our luggage until we were able to check in, but they were nice enough to get us a room at their sister hotel, City Suites and even gave us taxi fare to get there. City Suites is a 4 story, quaint hotel right next door to the Belmont train stop. It is an old hotel, but well maintained. The room was small, but perfect for our needs. The elevator is quite small--it says it can hold up to 3 people at a time, but even with 3, it was a little cramped. There is a free continental style breakfast in the morning and they leave out coffee and tea all day. It has a great proximity to a multitude of restaurants in the area as well. The only downside was we had a room facing the L train stop and you could hear the announcements from the train. However, with the air on in the room, it mostly drowned out that noise.

Room Tip: If you have the option, would not stay on the side closest to the L train stop, which is right next...
There are newer reviews for City Suites Hotel

Reviewed 26 September 2013

I don't normally write reviews. As a musician currently on tour of the States and Canada, I have experienced a range of hotels and service provided. I arrived in Chicago having played in California and Detroit the previous 2 days. I had not slept for 48 hours and needed a bed urgently.

I was greeted by the nicest person I'd met on reception on this trip so far, and I've played a show in a different city each day for the last 2 weeks. My travel agent hadn't booked us in early, and in previous places where this has happened we had to sit in reception for 4 or 5 hours waiting for a room.

Brian who worked on reception went out of his way to try and find us a room so we could get some rest. It was amazing to see someone taking customer service to a new level compared to what I've experienced previously. I was so impressed by his professional yet very friendly conduct that I had to write a review.

The hotel itself is in a great location, and in my opinion fantastic value for money. The suites are large, and arranged in a way that you do feel you're in your own apartment, rather than an open space filled with a bed, table, tv etc.

Everything was clean and tidy with all I'd need provided.

I now plan to catch up on some sleep, and it sounds quiet in the area with no noise from other rooms/corridors.

I would definitely stay here again when I pass through Chicago!

If the manager ever reads this, your staff are amazing and thanks to Brian, what could have been a disaster of a day has turned into the opposite!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Upon checking in, I informed the front desk agent about going to Wrigley field and he gave me some very helpful information about the weather inside the stadium (wind) and to plan accordingly. I did not remember his name, but all staff were helpful and appeared to enjoy their jobs and took pride in their hotel. The hotel was extremely convenient while travelling through the city. We went to a Cubs game, and the hotel was less than a mile away. The hotel is right next to the train, so you can literally walk out of the hotel and be at the train within 2 minutes. The room was small, but clean, comfortable and everything we needed for our stay. The robes in the room were a nice touch as well. The room had a ceiling fan, so if you do not want to hear the air conditioner at night, or just prefer a fan instead, you can utilize that. Some have commented on the train noise at night. For me, this was not an issue. There is some street noise with the train and traffic, but not to the point where it keeps you up. Upon checking out, Our flight was out of Midway, so we just got on the train and went straight to the airport. During our entire trip, we only used public transportation and the hotel was in a convenient place for doing that.

Reviewed 15 September 2013

Whenever I visit Chicago, I stay at City Suites. It reminds me of the small boutique hotels I've stayed at in NYC at a much more reasonable price.The rooms are clean and well appointed and the staff very friendly and knowledgeable about all things Chicago. I especially enjoy the complimentary continental breakfast served from 7 - 10 each morning. A wide variety of items are served and the daily newspaper is available. One of the main reasons I stay at City Suites is its half block location to the Red Line. With a three day CTA pass ($20), the cost to go anywhere in Chicago is extremely reasonable; even to Midway airport. (about 45 min to 1hr - same as a cab).
City Suites is my go-to choice in Chicago.
Note:I agree with the point made by Nancy M. in her recent review about the noise from the train platform and the air conditioner. I always ask for a room away from the platform and check out the air conditioner before I get settled in my room. If available, the staff is more than happy to change your room is anything is unacceptable.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the train platform. Check out the air conditioner. This is an old buildin...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Our room was small and stuffy. There was a window air conditioning unit next to our bed. The fan blew noisily all night, and because the space was so small, it blew on my face. Couldn't turn it off, it would have been way too hot and stuffy. Also, right next to the EL. In fact, if we cranked open the window in the bathroom we could watch the people waiting on the platform as we showered.
Between the EL and the air conditioner, it was very noisy. Maybe we got the worst room in the house, but we paid about $350 per night for it.

Having said all that, the staff was friendly and helpful. The room was clean, and the bed was comfortable, though I had to climb in from the end as my side of the bed was too close to the wall.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Nancy M
marino44, Regional Manager at City Suites Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations during your stay.

I would be happy to discuss your stay personally with you, and can be reached at 773-404-3499. I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Keith E. Scott
Regional Manager
Broughton Hotels

Reviewed 2 September 2013

We appreciated a quiet King suite in this hotel, the front desk directed us to the unattended public parking garage a block North of Belmont, on Halstead. The hotel gives you a voucher that you use in the machine when you leave, and you pay the front desk at the hotel for the parking when you check out. If you need in/out privileges, you would have to get a new voucher from the front desk each time I think, because the machine will take your ticket when you exit. It's not a huge ramp, but there were plenty of spots on our stay.

The bed was comfortable, on the firm side, with a "down alternative" comforter & duvet - plenty warm, we had the A/C cranked. The bathroom is cute, the floor was heated in our room (!) and I liked the eco-friendly way that they handle soap, lotion, shampoo, conditioner & shower gel although maybe everyone won't feel that way (photo attached).

Breakfast was unremarkable but suitable, we both had instant oatmeal. The oatmeal raisin cookies at night were a nice touch, and their coffee is really wonderful (they just changed brands, they told us they now grind their own).

Service was friendly and helpful There are diners/food options nearby within walking distance,including Potbelly's, Chipotle, a diner, etc.

Room Tip: Based on other reviews, we asked for a quiet room, and it was (to me at least) - overlooked a wall...
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We recently took a cross-country trip to attend a wedding on the east coast, and we wanted to take in a Cubs game at Wrigley while passing through Chicago. The parking for the hotel is a couple blocks away, which can be a bit of a trek if you have much luggage, but that just comes with the territory since the hotel does not have its own parking lot (quite common in big cities). It is, however, very close to the train station, so if you don't have a car - or if you just want to go somewhere without your car - it's quite easy to do. Both the room rate and the parking were quite reasonable for a large city, and the fact that it's within easy walking distance of Wrigley Field was the icing on the cake. We didn't spend much time in the room, but it was nice and quiet. Even the drinks/snacks in the room's "honor bar" were more reasonably priced than most hotels I've seen. There's a number of places to eat within a short distance of the hotel, so if you're staying for several days, you won't lack variety. If the need for another trip to Chicago arises, I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple