“Best possible Hotel”
Review of City Suites Hotel

City Suites Hotel
Ranked #112 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Firstly perfect location North of Chicago downtown and literally 1 building from the train station. Service was excellent. We even requested printing some tickets and early morning breakfast before the available breakfast service was available and they accommodated us very well. Also received a free upgrade of room during our 3 day stay. Highly recommended for anyone travelling to Chicago

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Phill C

Reviewed 24 November 2013

I travel to Chicago often and always stay at CS. Location is one of the main reasons for my choice....shops/restaurants in Lakeview provide a refreshing alternative to downtown. As others have mentioned, the Belmont stop is very close, so downtown is short train ride away. I ve had the pleasure of dealing with each of the desk persons( Mario, Noel, Brian and Jeremy) and each time they have been very helpful ----finding new restaurants, fast check in/out, and just making sure may stay is as comfortable as possible. I ve also sat lobby and observed them treating all guests with the same way!. Rooms are clean, have pleasant décor, and are very comfortable. If you want to avoid the hassle of large downtown hotels, check CS out. One note...they are remodeling the lobby (it did not affect my stay.)

Room Tip: I prefer east side of bldg
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

The lobby and public areas of this hotel are under construction, and so the public areas smell and look pretty bad. My room was quieter than expected, considering the hotel's proximity to the Belmont stop (which is a great train station to be near). The room was cozy and clean--the bathroom was excellent. Because it's a small hotel, it's hard to be away from the elevator or stairs, so that can be noisy. I would be interested in checking this place out again once the restoration is done, thanks to a friendly and clean experience, and the hotel's location.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
marino44, Regional Manager at City Suites Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing City Suites Hotel and for sharing your review. The timeline for the renovations to be completed is by the end of the year.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future so you can see all the great changes to our wonderful hotel.

Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

Be aware as of today (10/27/13) this hotel is being redecorated. Wow the smells of glue and paint and whatever they're trying to cover up the smell. An "L" stop is just outside the hotel… you'll here the announcements loud and clear. The parking is about 1/2 mile away (and the less than accommodating desk staff will tell you there are no come and go privileges because they'll have to send staff to the ramp to get more passes, as if it is your problem regardless of the advert).
The rooms are tiny as with most historical/boutique hotels but the bed and showers are great… bottom line that's what we're here for anyway.
We booked via Hoteltonight.com $99 I would say price was fair.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank angelgal01

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay at City Suites Hotel. We appreciate all forms of guest feedback, and it is through constructive comments that we are able to continually improve our services and facilities for our guest. Since we take all guest comments very seriously, I have bought your feedback to the attention of the entire management staff, and addressed each mentioned issue with the departments involved, in an effort to prevent any similar occurrences from happening in the future.

We hope to have the opportunity to restore your confidence in City Suites Hotel.

Reviewed 11 October 2013

It is outrageous that this hotel received a 4 star rating by trip advisor. The only good thing about this place is cheap rates. But you get what you pay for.

Rooms are small and have window AC units which are as loud as the trains that roll past your room all night long. The decor is old and dreary. And the horrendous musty smell in the the place immediately envelopes you. There is no on site parking, guests are forced to walk a block to the public parking lot.

If all you need is a cheap bed and a shower, and can sleep through loud AC and trains rumbling by, then this is your place.

You couldn't pay me to stay there again

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank Smanzane
marino44, Regional Manager at City Suites Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2013

Dear Guest,

I want to apologize for your experience falling short of your expectations. I realize this is of no resolve to you and I would appreciate the chance to speak with you further about your stay and how to redeem ourselves in the future. Please contact me directly at 773-404-3499 or via email at keith@broughtonhotels.com.

We appreciate hearing your feedback as an opportunity to improve our services and we hope to welcome you back for a more restful visit in the near future as our renovation of the entire hotel will be completed by the end of the year..

Broughton Hotels.

Reviewed 5 October 2013

If you are all about convenience and a great location for the price, this is the hotel for you. If you are all about pretty furniture and rooms with a view, this is not the hotel for you.

Yes the elevator is tiny. Yes the furniture, carpet, and décor is dated. It's an old hotel people!
If they upgrade all of these things, they will pass that cost onto the price of the rooms so enjoy the reasonable price for the excellent location alone. The train is steps away and I did not experience any train noise at all but it probably depends on which side of the hotel your room is on. Clark's is a 24 hour restaurant right across the street and even has a bar that's open during legal hours so if you are unfortunate enough to be in Chicago during some of their horrid weather conditions, the train and food and drinks are only steps away. I was here for a conference in April and froze most of the time with a few nice days in between.

I got a king suite and it was more than big enough for two people. They also have reasonably priced (for Chicago) parking a couple of blocks away if you have a vehicle but you certainly don't need a vehicle staying in this central location with great public transit and cabs.

I will warn you that the stupid wand stick thing that they give you to get out of the garage acts up and doesn't always work right, but again, I can't complain since I had a friend driving in to meet me so we needed a reasonably priced place to park his car.

Yes the breakfast is basic but we also got microwavable breakfast sandwiches and hard boiled eggs so it's not all bagels and cereal. I consider that more of a little bonus than anything. I don't expect free breakfast to mean eggs benedict. There are plenty of places to eat within walking distance.

The only thing that annoyed me is that I had an early flight and I called and requested an early check in and they were not able to honor it which was not their fault of course. But I did find it annoying that my room was not ready until literally the 3:00 check in time and not a minute before.

Ben was more than happy to store our luggage until we could check in and was very helpful and accommodating throughout our entire stay. Brian was also excellent to us and they both provided great customer service.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the train noise if it bothers you.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
marino44, Regional Manager at City Suites Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2014

Dear Guest,

I want to apologize for the experience you had staying with us. I want to assure you we pay careful attention to feedback such as yours as it allows us the opportunity to improve our services and facilities for our guest. I would like a chance to speak with you further about your stay and how we may redeem ourselves in the future. Please contact me directly at 773-404-3499 or via email at keith@broughtonhotels.com.

Beat Regards,

Reviewed 30 September 2013

upon checking in my sister and I were greeted by an unfriendly front desk clerk. We immediately noticed the odor that most likely came from the old carpet and furniture. The elevator only holds 3 people and moves at a snail pace. Walking down the hallway to our room you could feel the floor sink and hear it creek with every step. Upon entering the room we noticed a couch that belonged on a curb for trash pick up and the towels looked like they were used in a car wash. The air conditioning unit was a window unit from the late 70's and when we turned it on our room had a horrible smell and our noses became stuffed. We checked out, took the train to Michigan Ave and checked in at The Westin for the EXACT same price. I would not recommend this place to ANYONE

Room Tip: go somewhere else
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
marino44, Regional Manager at City Suites Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the City Suites Hotel for your most recent trip to Chicago.

I am of course concerned to learn that your experience fell short of your expectations and would like to assure you we pay careful attention to feedback such as yours as it allows us the opportunity to improve our services and facilities for our guests.

We are doing a full renovation of the hotel which will be completed by the end of the year. We would love for you to come back and see the changes. Please contact me at 773-404-3499 so I can arrange this for you.

We hope to welcome you back and restore your confidence in our hotel upon your next visit to Chicago.