“Great location & service. Expensive parking.”
Review of City Suites Hotel

City Suites Hotel
Ranked #113 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Illinois
“Great location & service. Expensive parking.”
Reviewed 20 December 2010

We were looking for a place to stay in the city that was affordable and near Lakeview. This hotel has a great European feel. The staff -- especially Sandoor and Jeremy -- were helpful, courteous and went out of their way to help us feel comfortable.

If you are a AAA member, there's a 10-percent discount, which is great.

PROS: Quaint, comfortable, clean room. Nicely furnished. Flat screen TV. Close to Lakeview/Lincoln park/Wrigleyville/Boystown. Room service menu with burgers, soups available at affordable prices. Free wifi. Free coffee/tea/hot chocolate available 24 hours. Free newspapers. Great lobby area with fireplace. Helpful staff.

CONS: Not the quietest place. Expensive parking ($22 a day with in/our privileges); spotty wifi. Hard to control room temperatures because of radiator heat.

Thanks to the reviews here, we asked for a room on the quiet side and on the top floor. Amy was great in helping us book the room. But, as others have said, the sound proofing isn't the best and we could still hear the train and the train announcements all the time in addition to the person in the room next door coughing. However, it wasn't unbearable. The hotel is close to one of the busiest gay bars in Chicago, but we didn't hear much noise coming from there, even with the window open.

Overall a great place to stay if you are not a light sleeper.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Nprbuff777

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 30 November 2010

We really enjoyed our stay at City Suites. The location is wonderful. the staff very helpful, and the shops and restaurants within walking distance. Loved the European feel of this boutique hotel. Teenage girls with me and they loved it too. Very eclectic, hip, energy in this part of town.Went to a concert at House of Blues. Only a 20 min ride on the red line. Took Amtrak into Chicago, cheaper than driving and parking. 30 ride on the Brown line to the hotel from Union Station.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank romylis
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 16 November 2010

When I booked my room, the desk clerk I spoke to was very unhelpful and unfriendly, but I thought nothing of it until after our stay. Upon entering our room at the hotel, we discovered that the room was hot and stuffy. We turned the window air conditioner on, but nothing happened. I called the front desk and requested a room change, since we wanted to relax and did not want to have repairmen in our room. We had just arrived and it was very early (a little after 3:00), but we were told that we could not change rooms because "the hotel is fully booked." I pointed out that most of the evenings guests had certainly not arrived yet, but the desk clerk was very abrupt and would not budge. We sat awkwardly in our room as the repairman tested the air conditioner, removed it from the window, and then went to get another (used) one to install. Then we turned it on, unpacked, changed clothes and went out to get a meal. Upon our return, the replacement air conditioner had also stopped working. We called the front desk, and magically, they could now move us to another room. So we re-packed and moved. The several hours of needless annoyance got our trip off to a very bad start. Finally, the air conditioner worked in the new room, but it made an assortment of loud and annoying noises during the night that kept waking us up. We assumed that complaining about it would be a waste of time, and just reconciled ourselves with sleeping badly for our stay.

The night before checking out, we called to get a late checkout and were told to call back in the morning. In the morning, my wife called to request late checkout again, and the desk clerk said, "No later than noon!" and hung up. At 11:20 the desk clerk called our room and rudely informed us that if we did not leave soon, we would be charged for an additional day. I was furious at the lack of service and the extremely rude and inconsiderate way we were treated, and it started the day very badly. I have never been treated with such disdain at a hotel, and the attitude seemed to be the norm for their desk clerks. I hope they re-evaluate their customer service training.

I need to note, however, that one person there was extremely friendly and helpful. The bellman, Brian, was sent up to help with the replacement of the air conditioner, and he--unlike everybody else at the hotel--"gets it." He was extremely personable and seemed to be genuinely concerned about resolving the problems so our stay would be enjoyable. Unfortunately, his valiant efforts were overwhelmed by the rest of the staff. I like the location of this hotel, and it's got its own niche in the area, but we won't be returning.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 11 November 2010

Great location and friendly staff. Many food, beverage and shopping options in walking distance. Steppenwolf is 3 L stops away. Would definitely stay again. Ask for the quiet side of the Hotel (or you will hear Belmont station announcements all night). Side opposite elevator pretty quiet.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank nsidecolab
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 2 September 2010

I have been to Chicago about a dozen times, and I have stayed at many locations. This hotel has served me the best for all my Chicago trips. I say that because this was my second stay, but it sure won't be the last.

Let's start with location as this little boutique hotel is situated on the edge of Boys Town in the heart of the Belmont area. It is conveniently located next to the Belmont El Train stop on the Red Line. It is within walking distance to lots of great restaurants for eating, tons of shopping in the Belmont area, Wrigley Field, and, of course, Boys Town where many events happen all year long. During this particular trip, Maket Days was the main event, and with the hotel being so closeby, we were able to party and drink up the festivities without worrying about having to catch a cab or bus back to the hotel. Being so close the Red Line that runs 24 hours a day made it very convenient to travel downtown or other parts of the city. I don't think you could ask for a better location.

The hotel itself is excellent from its cute covered doorway to the large mirrors that line the hallways to the welcoming lobby and staff. The hotel clerks and bellhops were always friendly and jovial, and I can't remember a time when I didn't pass by without hearing a "Hello!" or some other greeting. The maids were also very friednly and helpful, and they always made sure I had coffee when I requested it, which is a plus in my book since I drink it all day long. Like the lobby, the elevator, staircase, and hallways were always kept clean.

The room was small but had a very plush queen size bed with a window air conditioning unit, two night stands, a business desk, a tall armoire for clothes, and a decent sized flat screen tv. I have to say that I loved how comfy the bed was, but it really made for a sore back in the morning. The bathroom was very nice with shiny white tile and glass block in the shower, which contained fragrant set of shower gel, shampoo, and conditioner. It also had fragrant lotion for those who need a little moisturizer to start their day.

As for downsides, the room was on the side facing the El Train. So, one would think that noise was an issue, but I did not find that to be the case. Sure, I could hear it, but the noise was not overbearing, and the air conditioner actually drowned out most of the noise. I would also point out that the room came with very thick curtains to block out light, but since they were so long, they also covered the air conditioner. I'll just try to post them up around the air conditioner next time.

Overall, I give this hotel two thumbs up, and I would recommend it to anyone visiting Chicago!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Columbus, North Carolina
Reviewed 19 August 2010

There's really no other way to say it: you just really need to stay
here when you're in Boys Town. I highly recommend it based on
these redeeming factors:

1) The hotel is on a very fun, interesting street with lots of unique
shops and restaurants. We could view the L Train from our windows,
but rarely heard the train itself; the A/C maintained some nice (but
not abrasive) white noise. The station was right next to the hotel.

2) The room's design and amenities were fantastic; containing a lot
of modern features, from the flat-screen TV and mounted DVD to the
glass block windows in the bathroom. The awesome-smelling
eucalyptus shower gel/shampoo were provided via dispensers and
the shower head and pressure were great.

3) The service at City Suites was much-appreciated. The front desk
clerks were friendly and welcoming; we rarely got past the front desk
without a greeting from either the bellhop or the clerks. They were
informative and very helpful. A light continental breakfast with assorted
cereals, pastry and juices was provided.

The only disappointing aspect of my stay at City Suites unfortunately
had to do with the quality of sleep there. Don't get me wrong; the
bedding was comfortable with its down comforter and several pillows.
However, the reader should note that the mattress is an EXTREMELY
plush pillow-top. I woke up each morning with a slight backache; if you
have back problems like I do, it may pose a problem for a long-term
stay.

Still, for our three nights at the hotel, I was extremely pleased and
would stay there again, if given the opportunity. This hotel has it all:
location, cleanliness, service and quality.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Peoria, Illinois
Reviewed 26 July 2010

We traveled to Chicago for a Cubs night game and didn't want to drive after the game, so this location was great. It's about a 10 min. brisk walk, or 20 min. leisurely stroll. The hotel was clean and had everything you need. We were upgraded to a king suite. The room was very spacious, bathroom was a little small. The room had an honors system snack and beverage bar which was kind of neat. Free continental breakfast was offered, but we didn't use it. We felt safe in the neighborhood, even coming in after midnight, although it was a Sunday night. The downside of the hotel is it's proximity to the EL train, making it a very noisy night. We turned on the window a/c and it was so loud that it drowned out the train and street noise. If the rooms were cheaper, we might stay again. We had made arrangements to park our car at a friend's house, so we don't know about the parking situation for this hotel. The manager did offer to call us a cab when we checked out, which was nice.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple