“Personalized, superior customer service at all levels; my high standards were easily surpassed.”
Review of Wheeler Mansion

Wheeler Mansion
Ranked #149 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 1 July 2012

My positive experience with the Wheeler Mansion began well before my husband and I checked in. We were at the mercy of a train schedule and so were unable to meet the check-in time of 6 pm. The manager, Stephanie, went out of her way to accommodate our late check-in, graciously giving up her Friday night plans to help us. When I had a more unconventional idea to solve this, she readily agreed to allow our son, who lives in Chicago, to act on our behalf, gave him the necessary keys, etc. As a result, my husband no longer felt pressured at work (we now had the option of taking a later train), and we enjoyed our trip thoroughly. Our son picked us up at Union Station and drove us over to the mansion - and yes, it is a mansion - we went to our stunningly lovely room, ordered the obligatory pizza from Giordano's, and had a wonderful evening. The next day, we had a lovely breakfast - yogurt and a wonderful croissant for me - then my husband and son were off for a special late Father's Day event at Wrigley Field. I had been having some problems with back pain and an arthritic knee, so was content to stay in my room. I welcomed Sarah's knock to ask if there was anything I needed - when I jokingly asked for a few new body parts, I had no idea she was a doctor and could recommend an acupuncturist! When she brought me some information after making a few calls, I didn't hesitate to call Iris, a lovely young lady with impeccable credentials, who agreed to see me in my room at 4 pm., and after taking a proper history, ameliorated my pain using acupuncture. By the way, acupuncture has recently been approved by the FDA; I consider it (and I'm a true sceptic) to be an ancient yet brand new effective tool for a variety of ills, including pain. I was thrilled that Iris agreed to return on Sunday. With Stephanie's agreement, we moved from our third floor room to a first floor room for my meeting with Iris; a late checkout was easily arranged; Sarah and Allison again took great care of us - all of a sudden, as I gazed around at Stephanie, Sarah, Allison and Dr. Iris, I was seeing family. I believe strongly in customer service. The staff at The Wheeler Mansion are exceptional. I noticed that someone wrote a nasty review regarding a recent stay. Please note that their rules are clearly communicated. If your personal needs require an adjustment, please know that Stephanie and all the staff will do their best to help you out. If they are unable to do so, they might help in a different way on your next stay. If not, please understand the policies are clear and necessary at this point (as I looked back, I saw that Stephanie took over as manager only late last year, and apparently has had to make major changes quite rapidly). Feel free to talk to these good people, and I'm sure your experience will be a good one. As for me, I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank sks722
Stephanie J, Guest Relations Manager at Wheeler Mansion, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2012

Wow. We are overjoyed to have provided this experience to you. Our team strives to perform at these standards each day. I have shared your feedback. Thank you for your input and we look forward to having you with us again soon!

Stephanie

Reviewed 21 June 2012

This is a very lovely mansion tucked away from all the hustle and bustle of Chicago. The room we had was great! We were able to stay in Room 11 on the first floor. It made you feel like you had the whole floor to yourself. Stephanie and the staff were very pleasant and seemingly helpful.

However, there were little things that could have been done differently without much effort. Parking was an issue. There was room for only 9 or 10 cars. They have 11 rooms and then add people who don't know how to park properly. We had to move the car twice.

They ran out of caffienated coffee on Sunday morning and staff was informed of that fact at 9:00 a.m. Monday morning came and there still was no caffienated coffee. It would not have been hard to go to the store and pick some up. When asked about it on Monday, the answer was to drink black tea.

The breakfast that was served on Sunday morning was almost gourmet compared to the one served on Monday. Sunday you got fruit, english muffins with eggs and cheese, sausage, and yogurt, Monday you got some very tastless and badly scrambled eggs, fruit and toast/bagels. One couple did not get eggs and were told that what had been put out was all that was allocated for the day. Eggs are not that expensive when you compare it to the price you pay for a room.

The organizational piece of running a place like this was not evident. Staff brought their children and pets to work with them which made the back garden/patio less enjoyable. Plants and flowers are truly needed back there. Please throw out the Wheeler Mansion cards if you do not intend on providing the ammenities listed.

Room Tip: Ask for Room 11 if you have a hard time with stairs.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback. Your input has been shared with our staff. We appreciate your good rating—this truly means a lot to us and the integrity of the hotel. We also appreciate your comments pertaining to parking and lack of supply. Parking and breakfast are amenities here. We take great pride in this offering, as you pay a near fortune to park and have breakfast at other properties. At times, things can go wrong. We of course, wish this wasn’t the case. Ever. I assure you, being short on supplies is not at all part of our operational protocol. At a loss for coffee, black tea was suggested simply to try to be of service, as having no coffee was out of the staff’s control at that point and we do our best to provide the best possible alternatives for sticky situations. I invite you to contact me directly at Stephanie@wheelermansion.com or 312.945.2020 ext 1. I would like to personally apologize for any inconvenience and hope to have you with us again soon. Thank you!
Stephanie Lu & Staff

Reviewed 19 June 2012

I had the loveliest time at this unique boutique hotel in Chicago! The staff was warm and welcoming! One of the girls advised me that their staff was small and to call if I had any questions. Well, I had never been to Chicago on business before, so I had a lot of questions. As soon as I called, the staff was there to answer all of my questions: make reservations for me and even go out of their way to hail me a cab. The rooms were elegant and warm, the breakfast although minimal options, was really tasty. I had a wonderful walk to museum campus, which one of the staff members recommended walking back that way during sunset for a beautiful view of the city, it was remarkable! Thank you so much! I can't wait to come back!

Room Tip: Opt for the Suite it's spacious and cozy! Take the path to museum campus at sunset! WOW!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Ell R
Stephanie J, Guest Relations Manager at Wheeler Mansion, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2012

Thank you for your review and we look forward to having you with us soon!

Reviewed 15 June 2012

Nestled away in the south loop was what i thought to be a charming mansion which housed 11 rooms. Very boutique was my first thought and although the room was very nice the service was atrotious!!! I have never encountered such neglent staff. I was first promised an early accommodation for breakfast which i was not given. Breakfast at 930, really! If you are traveling on business or have any place to be in the morning don't count of breakfast at this bnb. Secondly the website i went through blatantly lied about the cancellation policy of this place. You don't get a full refund unless you cancel 6 months in advance! That should be illegal to have that kind of policy. I spoke to the manger on the last day and she heard my complaints very calmly and said she would be in contact, but she never emailed, called, or bothered to send a receipt for the charges of this "luxury room". The only way i knew i was charged was from my bank account. I get a receipt from McDonalds, the nail shop, you think if being charges over 900 dollars, someone would bother to send a bloody receipt. I travelled on business so I do need the receipt Clearly these people are not very professional so they would find it difficult to fathom the concept of a receipt.

Room Tip: do not book if you are counting on good service
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Mimigreeen

Hello there,

I want to thank you very much for taking your valuable time to provide your feedback. I have shared your comments with our staff and I'm so sorry you came away from our property with this experience. An "in-room" or "early breakfast" is not our policy and I'm sorry if that was not communicated to you properly. I'm not sure what service you used to book with us, but all of our booking partners follow the same guidelines regarding our booking policies, check-in times, cancellations, and amenities. I do encourage you to contact me directly at 312.945.2020 so that I can provide you with the accurate information regarding your reservation. Also, to clarify, breakfast is an amenity. We do not take special orders or provide room service unless those requests are appropriately coordinated with our staff. Again, thank you for your feedback and for your business and please contact me directly if you have any questions, concerns, or additional comments.

Reviewed 12 June 2012

We loved this hotel/mansion! The inside of the house was well maintained with a lot of character. Our room was amazing with high ceilings, nice comfortable bed, and elegant features. It was such a nice retreat from a day out on the big city. Breakfast, though minimal, was very good. They all also had a Tassimo coffee maker so there was always coffee available any time of the day. The only negative about breakfast was that its served starting from 9:30am - a little late if you wanted to get a head start to the day. The grounds were very nice too - we were able to have our breakfast in the backyard of the mansion. The back was a little sparse and not as well maintained but still pretty nice. The staff was friendly but hard to get a hold of. After check in we didn't see anyone the rest of the time. It would have been nice to at least have someone there during the breakfast or checkout (we had no idea where to drop off our key when we checked out). The mansion is a little out of the way - about a 15 minute walk to a subway. We were able to walk into downtown from the mansion as it's close to the waterfront trail leading into downtown (highly recommended!). It took about 45 mins. At night it can be a little sketchy in certain areas so I recommend taking a cab back - pretty cheap from downtown (about $10).

All that being said I would highly recommend this hotel - something different and unique from your standard hotels.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ferrari07

Thank you so much for the feedback! I have shared your kind words with the staff and it means the world to us that your experience was great. Thank you for your business. See you soon!

Stephanie Lu & Staff

Reviewed 29 May 2012

There are painfully few opportunities to stay in a property like this. Totally accessible, really great staff, it was a pleasure. The food was delicious and I would recommend this place to anyone. Why stay at a hotel when you can stay at a mansion?!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 23 May 2012

What a beautiful hotel. I would definitely recommend you check it out if you are looking for a place to stay or hold a party/event in Chicago. Can't think of a better place to leave a lasting impression.

Room Tip: Ask for Stephanie and let her know if you are in town for a special occasion.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Stephanie & The Wheeler Mansion Staff