“Our Chicago Trip”

Ranked #143 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
South Australia
“Our Chicago Trip”
Reviewed 27 September 2012

This has been one of our most amazing trips and experiences ever. The Wheeler mansion is divine. The attention to detail in the hotel is beautiful. The outdoor garden area is lovely to relax and take in the atmosphere. The host was most welcoming and helpful during our stay, to recommend events or places to see, it really felt like a personalised service and experience. We decided to extend our stay and our room was made available at a fantastic rate. I will recommend this hotel to friends and family it’s truly an experience that Nat and I will remember for ever.
Keep up the good work kind regards
Nik&Nat from
Australia

Room Tip: We stayed in 2 different rooms and enjoyed both of them. The rooms are all spacious and equipped wit...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
wheeler47, General Manager at Wheeler Mansion, responded to this review, 27 July 2013
Dear Guest,

We are grateful for taking the time to write a review with such kind words. We were so happy to learn that your stay was so wonderful, as we take pride in planning fun experiences in our beautiful city. Thank you for noticing the details of our hotel, it is very important to us. We have recently reconstructed our garden to add lawn games and new private areas to enjoy our sanctuary in the heart of the city! Come back and see us soon!

Beautiful Travels!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Tavira, Portugal
Reviewed 20 September 2012

Several issues:
First of all the shortage of staff for over a year reflects in the quality of service(11 room hotel). Like all previous comments did we too, have to wait for 15 minutes in front of a closed door at the hotel. (this was after three o clock as indicated by the hotel and booking.com website). This suggests that the apologies made for waiting at the front door are a standard procedure. As we witnessed several times with guests arriving after us.
Any queries after 7pm will not be answered, and whilst the website suggests that staff will be available during the day, are they (appears to be only one person) hard to find in an 11 room hotel. The telephone number given was not answered.
Don't be mislead by the fact that there is a luxurious breakfast, it is indeed an amenity and starts at 8:30 till 11.
For those who do not like jazz music, this hotel might not be the best choice for it is played from 8am till 7pm.
Price-quality therefore out of proportion.
Unfortunately this has been the worst hotel we have yet encountered.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sheila I
wheeler47, Front Office Manager at Wheeler Mansion, responded to this review, 4 October 2013
Dear important guest I reviewed your comments carefully with sadness that you felt our hotel was the worst hotel stay of your life. Our guests prefer our hotel locked and understand they obtain a key card when they check in per our reservation confirmation. We implemented another line on our front entry system as you were very helpful to point out once two people come exactly at the same time to check in the line could be busy for a couple minutes. The three voice lines allow guests to allow the front office check-in a couple minutes to get to the front door. I apologize for the delay as it sometimes takes a couple minutes given the size of the estate. Based on your feed back we were able to train our new employees to always point out the after hours attendants number in the guest services book. Breakfast is at 8:15 but many guests request fruit and granola to be put out at 6. We pride ourselves on fresh very high quality ingredients and want to please the early risers and later business meeting guests. We have trained our staff to ask our guests what time they like breakfast to improve based upon your feedback. We apologize as we played alot of upbeat lively Jazz music during your stay, we usually have a assortment of music but some guests wanted to listen to local Chicago jazz and we thought of no harm to provide some neighborhood music, as the south loop is famous for the development of such jazz greats as CoCo Taylor and Buddy Guys! I surely understand as the pricing from city to city for hotels is quite different. Over the past 15 years our guests comment how our hotel is of great value, knowing that the chain hotel across the street charges $58 per day for parking and $25 for breakfast on top of our same room rates. We do hope that you would stay with us again as we are sure we can make your stay the most enjoyable hotel experience. Thank-you for assisting us to refine our hotel.
Toronto
Reviewed 4 September 2012

We had a great long weekend in Chicago, at Wheeler Mansion. The area is great, very quiet, with a mix of old beautiful houses and new buildings..It's not that far from Downtown, you can walk or just take a cab (it's pretty cheap).
This place is an amazing historical mansion, we felt like in an European castle.
Beautiful furniture, high ceilings, very clean. Nice breakfast room inside and patio outside, coffee and tea available any time...
The staff was very helpful, just make sure you call them a bit ahead before coming to the hotel. That was the only little inconvenience, otherwise everything was perfect.
We will definitely come back, we totally loved this place!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Stephanie J, Guest Relations Manager at Wheeler Mansion, responded to this review, 6 September 2012
Christina,

Thank you for staying with us. We greatly appreciate your business and good word. Hope to see you again soon!

Stephanie & Staff
Curitiba, PR
Reviewed 18 August 2012

There is no 24h frontdesk... I arrived 15 pm and tought I was fooled by the website. The taxi´s did knew it, there is any indication that it is a hotel. No one to receive you. It´s more like a luxury (old) B&B.
It is far from downtown and the touristic area.
Bizarre decoration. It´s look like a museum.
Rats in the ventilation system.
It´is close from the convention center, but if this is the idea, stay at Sheraton in front of the convention center....

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank globethrotter
Stephanie J, Guest Relations Manager at Wheeler Mansion, responded to this review, 20 August 2012
We are deeply and sincerely sorry for any inconvenience you have experienced at The Wheeler Mansion. I find it imperative to address one of your comments immediately, as it is entirely untrue. Our ventilation system absolutely does not act as a home for vermin and comments like these can deeply influence the integrity of our property. We take great pride and care in the cleanliness of our hotel and I’m very sorry you came away from our business with this impression. We have a small staff and are an intimate property--located just a short distance from the hustle and bustle of "downtown" proper. Our front office closes at 7pm, however there is always an overnight attendant at the property to assist with our guest’s needs afterhours. This is properly communicated to all of our customers and I apologize if this information wasn’t relayed to you appropriately. Thank you very much for your feedback. Thank you so very much for your business. Our staff is small and works very hard to offer spectacular service to all of our guests. It is definitely not easy to share this type of feedback with the team, but we do welcome ALL input—positive or negative. I did notice that you have listed your date of stay as September of last year. We have since undergone new management and ownership, so I do hope you take this into account the next time you consider staying with us again or sharing your feedback with friends, family, and colleagues. Again, thank you for taking the time to provide a review and I do ask that you please contact me directly to discuss this matter further. Stephanie@wheelermansion.com or 312.945.2020 ext 1
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 16 August 2012

Quaint and historic Bed and Breakfast two blocks away from the McCormick Convention Center. Safe neighborhood within walking distance to not only the convention center, but Soldier Field as well (we walked there at about 9 pm at night just for fun). Rooms are spacious and clean and nicely appointed in period decor. Bus stop to most of the Chicago sites is about three blocks away. About eight blocks away are a couple of great eateries (City Tavern and Waffles). City Tavern's dry-aged, strip loin burger is about the best burger in the city, and Waffles' take on hispanic-inspired savory breakfast dishes are awesome. Service at the Wheeler is very good. But be apprised that they are only there during certain hours of the day. My only complaint is that the toilet seat in our bathroom was cracked and needed to be replaced. However, if I needed to stay in Chicago in the South Michigan Avenue area, I would definitely considere returning to the Wheeler Mansion.

Room Tip: If you need an elevator, this isn't the place for you. Although there is a dumbwaiter for the l...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AGuyFromHawaii
Aloha! Thank you so much for taking the time to provide your feedback. It means a lot to us to know that you enjoyed your stay. Your feedback has been shared with the team and our maintinence department. Sorry for the needed repair. We hope to have you back year after year :)

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 4 August 2012

The Wheeler Mansion is my new favorite place to stay in Chicago. The Mansion is beautiful. The rooms are bright and well-furnished. The living room is a pleasant place to relax. I had a coupon for a stay in the Mansion. I spoke with Stephanie to confirm the availablity of three rooms for a certain weekend. Next, I called my friends to discss staying at the manion.. I then call Stephanie back to book the rooms. In the intervening time, the coupon expired. However, Stephanie very gratiously honored the coupon and gave us the discounted rate despite the coupon having expired. She was very helpful when I booked the rooms and during our stay. There are good restaurants in walking distance and the Glessner Museum is nearby. It was easy to get a cab from there. We had a very pleasant experience staying at the Manion. I would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: It is worth it to get a suite as they are larger and more elegant, although every room is nice.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Laurie C
Laurie,

Thank you so much for your review! We appreciate your feedback and look forward to having you with us again soon!

Indianapolis
Reviewed 1 August 2012

This is such a lovely hotel. Why stay in a generic and bland hotel? The reservation process was smooth and check in was great. We were looking for something out of the way, quiet and leisurely and that is exactly what we got. I thought that Stephanie did a great job explaining what the hotel policies were and I feel that if breakfast at 9:30am is not something you are happy with, I think you should consider staying somewhere else. Also, this is a B&B, you are just not going to get the same 24hr in-your-face service that one would get in a hotel. If you are interested in that, again, stay in another place. Don't go to a B&B for that type of thing and then complain that you are not getting it. Not fair to compare apples to oranges. If you want something different and quietly unobtrusive, then DEFINTELY STAY at the WHEELER!

My husband and I really enjoyed the location and the history of the mansion. We also really enjoyed moring coffee in the front room before breakfast reading quietly by the windows. There were some lovely books on the historical houses in Chicago as well as some art books. I would suggest to the owners to consider a book shelf with additional books about the history of Chicago to help entertain guests.

My only actual complaint was that there were two very small bed pillows on the bed and I am used to using two for myself, so my husband used a throw pillow instead. That being said, the room was very clean, spacious, and inviting.

The website was also very helpful in our plans for outings and activities. We took a tour with the DeTours company that the hotel recommended and it really enhanced our stay. The tour guide was knowledgeable and it showed.

We enjoyed our stay very much. Thank you to Stephanie and all the staff for making our anniversary weekend one we won't soon forget. We'll be back!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rachel H
Thank you for your review! Guests like you make our jobs delightful and we are so happy that you came away with such an incredible experience. Please contact me directly if there is anything I can offer you in the future. We look very forward to having you back Rachel!