“The best!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Wheeler Mansion

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Wheeler Mansion
Ranked #139 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
“The best!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

I had a terrific stay for a conference in November. The room was spacious and beautiful. The gas fireplace was a treat! The service was outstanding. Staff went out of their way to provide me with an early breakfast so I could get to my meetings on time. Coffee was available 24/7 which was wonderful for the short chilly walks back and forth from the convention center. There was also plenty of hot water.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
wheeler47, General Manager at Wheeler Mansion, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
Dear important business traveler, thank you for taking the time to write a review. Business travelers make up the highest percentage of our guests so we were thrilled to receive such positive feedback. We strive to offer a relaxing stress free environment to stay at while attending the large conventions across the street. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know the amenities that enhanced your stay. We look forward to serving you on your next business or pleasure visit to Chicago.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Williamsville, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

My husband and I were going to a wedding in Chicago (never been there before) and decided to combine it as a birthday vacation. I looked at so many hotels on line and finally happened across the Wheeler Mansion. I saw that there was free parking (unheard of) and also a gourmet breakfast (not just no taste mini danishes) so I thought I would give it a try. Boy, did I make the right move. Not only is the Mansion GORGEOUS - the staff was amazing and helped me with a late check in AND early morning flight home on the last day there. The owner had some of the exquiste furnishings shipped in from around the world and her taste is impeccable!! I wanted to move in and never leave. It is close to everything and if you are tired of the ho hum hotels, take a chance on this marvelous Mansion - you won't be disappointed!!

Room Tip: I was able to see a few of them - there isn't a bad one there!!!!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Debbie M
wheeler47, Owner at Wheeler Mansion, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Im honored that you took the time to provide a review. Our employees are like family to us. I was so excited to hear that they made your stay so enjoyable. It is comforting to know that when I am not at the business, the same passion and commitment I live by is demonstrated to our guests. In a world where the important aspects of life are sometimes over looked…thank-you for taking the time to brighten our day. On behalf of my employees, children and future of my business thank-you for your kind words.
Rocklin, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

I enjoyed staying at the Wheeler Mansion while attending a large conference in Chicago. We needed a space to meet with customers for business development. Debra and her staff ensured that our experience was excellent. The décor of this boutique hotel is elegant and stately. The richness of every detail exceeded my expectations. I felt like I was staying in an upscale European house with the service of a private chef. We had a private driver to shuttle our customers to every meeting at the mansion from the steps of the McCormick Place. Even though the mansion is just a few minutes walk, the weather at times strained the experience of the stroll so the covered electric car enhanced everyone's attitude. Our presentations and discussions, enhanced by unlimited and deliciousness food, coffee and tea,were well received in the comfort of the mansion's wealthy furnishings. Every professional requirement was fulfilled with a pleasant attitude by Debra and her staff.

Lunch and breakfast were wonderful with everything being very fresh and homemade. The place has a lot of history and is very cozy and in a great location on the south side. If you need a warm, comfortable and professional place to stay and entertain business associates, you won't be disappointed.

I stayed in the downstairs bedroom which was exquisitely furnished and very comfortable but unfortunately did not block the sounds of guests entering the house at night. The look of the room is classic but every utility interface has been upgraded. Light switches with dimmers, flat screen TV hidden in a beautiful antique, and a granite shower with plenty of hot water will make you feel pampered.

Room Tip: Try the upstairs rooms.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
wheeler47, Manager at Wheeler Mansion, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
Dear important guest, thank-you for your feedback regarding your companies meetings, special event and lodging while attending the convention at McCormick Place Convention Center. We are pleased that you noticed the attention to detail and pride our staff has for servicing our corporate customers. We are grateful that you choose our estate to entertain your important customers and conduct business while in Chicago. We look forward to servicing your events in the future.
Charleston, West Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013

Thank you, thank you, thank you to the person(s) who saved this beautiful house from the wrecker ball.

We attended a conference at the McCormick Place and spent five nights at the Wheeler Mansion. Our first night was in the Victorian Room on second floor. The décor was beautiful. It had a working gas fireplace. The bathroom was lovely.

On the second and following nights, we stayed in the room on first floor directly under the Victorian room. We switched rooms because the first floor room had a king sized bed. This room was nice too and conveniently located. It didn't have a fireplace, but had an electric heater resembling an old coal burning stove.

I liked the breakfasts that were served each morning. Unlike hotels we have stayed at before, the breakfast was available until 10:30 each morning. Coffee, iced water and tea were available all day.

The manager on duty during our stay was Selsa. She was extremely helpful and made our stay pleasant. All staff members that we had the pleasure of coming into contact with were friendly.

The Mansion was a short walk to the McCormick Place and only about 3 blocks to Michigan Avenue. I highly recommended this hotel to anyone traveling to Chicago on business or pleasure.

Room Tip: Both rooms we stayed in were nice. But Ladies, bring a make up mirror as the bathrooms are a little...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
A long convention!….thank-you for staying with us and taking the time to point out details of how your trip was enhanced. Breakfast is the start of the day, we are glad you enjoyed the fresh squeezed juice or homemade items to choose from. We have recently renovated our grounds so we are hoping you will be attending a convention that allows you to eat breakfast on the back outdoor patio over looking our 3/4 acre site. The effort it took to write a review is greatly appreciated as our staff was so pleased to hear your kind words. Live well….travel well…..
Alexandria, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at the Wheeler Mansion back in the end of June and it was a very delightful experience. The décor of the bed and breakfast is beautiful. If I remember correctly all of the furnishings are from Europe. The breakfast was a pleasant surprise with everything being very fresh and made right there. The place has a lot of history and is very cozy and in a great location on the south side. If you get the chance to stay here you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Summer is a great time to visit Chicago but more importantly thank-you for highlighting your accommodations at The Wheeler Mansion. We take the time and energy to have fresh squeezed orange juice or a homemade pastry…thank-you for recognizing the details we put forward. It is nice to hear the feedback from our guests that their breakfast was yummy and started the day off right! Hope you can come back this summer and enjoy our bicycles to ride on the lakefront or sip ice tea in our new gardens. Live well…..travel well…..
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

My wife and I were attending a wedding and have stayed at the Wheeler Mansion several times in years past. The charm and decor are like stepping into a historic European mansion. We found the service hosts to be polite and gracious. The breakfasts were rich and nutritious. The rooms spacious and delightful. The rainfall showers are fantastic. We will most certainly stay here again!

Room Tip: All the rooms are individually appointed and equally beautiful.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
wheeler47, General Manager at Wheeler Mansion, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Dear Important Guest….Thank you so very much for taking the time to write a review of your stay. "Weekend of European Luxury" pleased our owner as she considers the title as the highest compliment. It is her lives work to offer the relaxing accommodations in her home town of Chicago as she has experienced with her two children when she has traveled with them in Europe since they were very little kids. The attention to detail and inside knowledge of the cities she has visited has created a lasting impression and love of owning this property for her and her children. Thank you for your kind words. We hope you can visit us this summer as we have dramatically changed our gardens to represent the gardens of Europe! Happy Travels!
South Bend, Indiana, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at The Wheeler Mansion during a stay in Chicago. I am a huge critic of service, and had a wonderful tour of the Mansion first thing. I was also met by Deb, the proprietor of the Mansion, and she was very charming. Deb gave me a personal review of the history of the mansion and the detailed renovation that brought the Mansion back to its luxurious glory. I was very impressed with the history and the time and care put into restoring such a historic Chicago landmark. Each room is unique and wonderfully designed. I found the high ceilings and decor enchanting. The suite I stayed in was fantastic, with Marble bathroom floors, clawfoot tub and walkin shower. The antiques are charming and the bed was extremely welcoming and comfortable. I stayed for coffee and breakfast before leaving and was very pleased with the egg souffle, granola and yogurt, and delicious fresh berries.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
wheeler47, General Manager at Wheeler Mansion, responded to this review, 27 July 2013
Thank-you for acknowledging our beautiful suites in our boutique hotel. We are constantly changing and restyling our look to be hip and fresh. Come back and see us this winter as we have our private ice rink. We so appreciate your kind words regarding our stewardship of this beautiful Landmark building and important piece of Chicago's History.