“Defrauded and cheated”
Review of Wheeler Mansion

Wheeler Mansion
Ranked #149 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 17 November 2005

My husband and I went to Chicago from Spain in October to attend the annual meeting of the American Academy of Ophthalmology at the McCormick Center. We booked a room in the Wheeler Mansion through our travel agent, to whom we paid in advance according to the invoice the Wheeler Mansion had emailed to the agency. However, when we were checking out after staying five days, they billed us for our stay. When we protested that we had paid in advance, we were told that we had to pay them because they did not deal with travel agents, in spite of the fact that they had arranged the booking and had already charged the travel agency 50% of the total amount. What´s more, we learnt that the room they had assignes us was much more expensive that the one we had reserved. It seems that they decided to upgrade us without letting us know. We did not have time to argue about this, because we had a taxi waiting for us to take us to the airport to catch a flight. So we had to pay the bill again plus the extra-charge for the " better room" To add insult to injury, they were extremely rude to us, ignoring we do not speak English fluently. Subsecuently the hotel refunded to the travel agents the 50% they had paid, and the agency reinbursed us for the amount we had paid, however the fact reains that we ended up paying 700$ more than we expected.
We have requested a copy of the invoice, since they did not given it to us, and so far We have not received any acknoledgement nor a copy of the invoice.
I found this completely unacceptable and disgraceful bahaviour. I absolutely do not recommend this hotel. We do not trust this hotel and warn all travellers to be careful.

10  Thank stjitter

Fairfax, VA
Reviewed 5 October 2005

The Wheeler Mansion is a beautiful hotel, and the staff was very friendly and helpful. The owner is a very nice woman. The rooms were well-appointed and comfortable. Recommended!

Stayed: October 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 22 June 2005

As a travel agency owner for 19 years, I want to make other agents aware of some problems you may encouter:
I made reservations for a group (10 rooms) 13 months prior to this date and I accompanied the group. At the time I made the reservations, they presented me with a standard reservation contract outlining the cancellation penalties, showing my deposit and final payment due when we arrived. The website, Amadeus reservation system, as well as their manager at the time the reservations/contract was made, assured me that they paid a travel agent commission. However, the problems started as the trip got closer and the new manager informs me that because the 'standard' contract made no specific mention of commission they owed none. I asked to speak to the owner "Deborah" who finally agreed to give me a small fraction of the actual amount due according to their website, etc. as a 'gesture of good will'.
Then at the time for the final bill to be paid, Deborah informs me that she will add 14.9 percent tax to the contract when no where on the contract is that mentioned and in fact, each guest (including myself) received a statement saying 0 tax due (was to be included in all-inclusive feature). There is much more to this story - I could fill a book. As far as the property goes, it is a very lovely mansion and could have been a pleasant experience if not for the owner. The manager 'Michael' is very nice, but clearly a manager in 'name only' - all decisions come from Deborah and there is no discussion with her - she will adhere to the contract when it is in her favor and not adhere to it when she wants to add tax. She actually told me to take the entire group and leave with no refunds if we did not pay the tax (which was not in the contract).
The 'gourmet' breakfast has been nothing more that a casserole/fruit and a bagel or croissant and if you are a group who likes to eat together, there are not enough seats for everyone, limited number of coffee cups/silverware, etc. Most mornings we had to wait until they washed more coffee cups and service was terrible! There is no one on premises after 7pm so if you have problems you are 'on your own'. Also, beware of the cancellation penalties - they will stick to them even if you break your back - one of my clients actually did and they were holding him accountable for the entire 6 nights $1500+. After I found another couple to take their place, I finally managed to get Deborah to agree to refund the original person, but it was not easy nor pleasant! All things considered, DON'T use this property - I will not ever book it again!
P.S. I also had a group of 50 rooms at the Hotel Monaco downtown - excellent hotel/staff,etc. and I have heard from many who stayed there who have said it couldn't have been better!!! Wonderful rooms/great staff and terrific service!! Use them for your clients - you will save yourself a lot of 'grief' and you will get paid for your services!!

• Stayed: June 2005, travelled on business
21  Thank KristenG1999
Reviewed 7 May 2005

What a terrible stay. There was no one around to help us at all. They did not offer us any food...no breakfast. There are no restaurants or businesses in the area. There are no cabs nearby. There is no elevator and we were on the 3rd floor. The service was nonexixtent. They did not clean our rooms or change the sheets for the 4 days we were there. we had to go into their cupbord to find some clean towels. Then they locked us out. They had 4 day old newspapers and old magazines to read. There was no room for any of my things in the bathroom with just a pedistal sink and shower stall. The furnace was very loud and woke me up every 20 minutes. The staff could not even find us a blanket when we asked for it. We had to beg to have our garbage emptied. We were not informed before or during our stay that children were not allowed. Make sure that you do not bring any kids because they will charge you for their $10000 rugs if you spill anything on them. It is not close to the airport or downtown. Please stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: May 2005, travelled on business
13  Thank ergray
Chicago
Reviewed 5 September 2004

The Wheeler Mansion is every bit as lovely as small elegant five-star hotels across Europe, and so much more intimate and beautiful than high-end hotels in the city that cost easily twice as much. The restoration of this about-to-be-demolished mansion spared no expense and the proof is in the details. An easy walk to McCormick Place, the Prairie Preservation district, the museum campus, and wonderful restaurants. There's free parking right on the property, so you can drive to Millennium Park, Michigan Avenue and the Loop in five minutes.

• Stayed: September 2004
10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
United States
Reviewed 22 June 2004

Although beautifully appointed, it seemed to be more about look than comfort. The bathrooms had little room for toiletries and there was only lukewarm water in the shower. Our window only had partial drapes, so when the sun came up, we were obliged to follow.
The food was mediocre.
Staff was attentive but inexperienced. It was virtually impossible to get a cab into downtown. Not as "handy" to the Loop as they'd like you to think.
Not a good place for groups.

11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Monroe, MI
Reviewed 4 March 2004

My wife and I spent a weekend at the Wheeler Mansion. We arrived late (11:00 PM) because of some airline delays and had no problems getting into our room. The owners live on the property and are available during off hours. The staff is highly attentive and very friendly. All I can gather from previous negative reviews is that the owners were have some problems hiring the right kind of people. The good news is that they have them now.

The Mansion is unique and tastefully luxurious. Each room is furnished with a mix period appropriate antiques and modern amenities. There is a large dining room and beautiful comfortable sitting room.

It is a perfect alternative to the sterile one-size-fits-all hotel room for the McCormick Place conventioneer. It is the perfect hidden pleasure for those looking for a quiet weekend getaway. We're already planning our return.

After only one visit, it has become our favorite place to stay in Chicago. We are already planning

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member