“Sophisticated hotel in a great location”

Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile
Ranked #24 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
Adelaide
“Sophisticated hotel in a great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

As always, a stylish and warm experience at the Sofitel. Staff members are always friendly and helpful, and the French vibe is terrific. The inner north side is s great spot to stay, close to the Magnificent Mile, Navy Pier and also handy to the subway. We enjoyed Cafe des Architectes and Le Bar and thought they were fair value. The breakfast in the cafe is a la carte rather than a buffet, which might matter to some but did not bother us at all. My only quibbles were that there are no tea/coffee making facilities in the room, and that the refrigerator has no room for storing your own purchases. These were not major issues but did prevent it from achieving perfection, which in other respects it nearly did. The Sofitel chain is a little beyond my regular price point, but whenever I can afford to stay at one of their properties I do, and I have always been very glad to have done so. For informal eating the nearby Giordano's pizza restaurant is great, and only a couple of blocks further away Eataly provides excellent coffee and panini.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
S_Pfeiffer_Hotel_Mgr, General Manager at Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Bonjour Gunya,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your kind comments on TripAdvisor regarding your stay amongst us. I truly appreciate your loyalty towards the Sofitel brand.
My Ambassadors and I were happy to learn that you consider the hotel as `sophisticated' and that you felt this `French vibe' we are known for. This means a lot to us.
Thank you as well for pointing out our sensational location just one block away from the Magnificent Mile, and I am glad you had the opportunity to sample a dish or two from our delightful Cafe des Architectes and Le Bar menus.
We do have coffee makers and refrigerator available upon request, and please do not hesitate to call our guest services during your next stay with us and they will be happy to assist you with your requests.

Looking forward to welcoming you back amongst us for another `warm experience',

Sebastien Pfeiffer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (623)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

This hotel is really well located just off Madison, south of Oak St. Very good for shopping and for bars and restaurants. The shoreline and the river are within comfortable walking distance. Rooms are relatively modern, good facilities. Breakfast in the restaurant was very good. I had problems with the Wifi, which the concierge was unable to help with, but the problem was with my phone not my laptop so it may not be the hotel's fault. Although wifi on my phone worked fine everywhere else.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Bonjour shenaniganso,

First of all, allow me to thank you very much for the time you took to share your comments on TripAdvisor further to your stay.
I am happy that you had time to enjoy a delicious breakfast in our restaurant, Cafe des Architectes. Our restaurant and kitchen teams were honored to receive your nice comments.
I appreciate that you pointed out our excellent location, close to both Michigan Avenue shopping and Gold Coast dining.

Hotel Manager
Bloomington, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

This hotel is very nice - modern, simple styl, friendly staff, great location. The room was large and the bathroom was great, and we stayed in theleast expensive superior room. There was excellent service in the hotel and cafe. The only problem we had was the service in the bar which was nonexistat -we waited 5 minutes but no server ever came to our table. Also, valet parking is expensive, but that is typical in Chicago.

Room Tip: Check prices on several websites including the hotel site - they vary a bit.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank Susan N
Bonjour Susan N,

Thank you for your very generous comments on TripAdvisor following your recent stay at the Sofitel Chicago Water Tower.
I am so pleased that you found our hotel `excellent' and that you liked our design. Also I was glad you appreciated our wonderful location close to both Michigan Avenue shopping and Gold Coast dining.
Your feedback regarding the service at the Bar has been shared with our Director of Food and Beverage in order to understand better what happened. I truly regret the inconvenience.
Finally, I thank you very much for your wonderful comments regarding the service. This is of utmost importance, and I could not be happier to read and share it with the entire team.
I hope to welcome you back soon,
Yours sincerely,

Quito, Ecuador
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

Very close to shopping and great restaurants, well appointed rooms. Very nice views of downtown. We thoroughly enjoyed it. Concierge was very knowledgeable and helped us out with reservations at a steak house around the corner. When I called they had no space, when I asked the concierge about it he got back to me 10 min later with a reservation.

Room Tip: Hi floor number with a corner room gives great views
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Bonjour Chayes5150,

I am delighted that your experience at the hotel was so positive. I appreciate you taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor.
I am glad to see that you were so comfortable in our rooms and that you enjoyed the beautiful downtown view. It was a real pleasure to read that you were able to take advantage of our excellent location in the city, close to both Michigan Avenue shopping and Gold Coast dining.
Very pleased that you found our concierge`helpful and knowledgeable'. This is very important to us. My team was more than happy to receive your comments.
Thank you very much to share your tips with our valued readers.

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

Very nice hotel with a top quality finish and sense of space. Bedrooms are spacious and quiet and the location is just off Michigan. You're 5 minutes to the lake for a run or walk. If you don't want to include breakfast in the cost then around the corner is the Tempo diner which is much better value. Gym is small but fine, no pool.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Bonjour tenny500,

Thank you very much for the kind comments you shared on TripAdvisor further to your recent stay with us.
Indeed I was delighted to read how much you were pleased with your guest experience. It means a lot to us that you mentioned having liked our very nice rooms.

I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower in a not too distant future.

Dubuque Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

Sofitel Chicago is a sleek modern hotel close to all of the prestige shopping of North Michigan Ave. We love Sunday brunch at the Cafe des Architectes. Try to upgrade to a Junior or full suite. Very modern, Very Luxurious, with great city views. A nice grocery/bakery/deli around the corner in the same building complex.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
S_Pfeiffer_Hotel_Mgr, General Manager at Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Bonjour dbqtravelers,

I was pleased to know that our property and its location met your expectations. I appreciate your tips for our valued readers and I am glad that you liked your suite along with the wonderful view.

Look forward to a future visit when you can enjoy again our Magnifique brunch at Cafe des Architectes.

Paris, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

always stay at this hotel when in Chicago for work. nice amenities, great service and food/bar. only challenge is trying to get a taxi when the weather isnt great, but the location and quality of the hotel and service more than makes up for it

Room Tip: certain rooms give you a direct view of the john hancock tower, ask for it!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
S_Pfeiffer_Hotel_Mgr, General Manager at Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Bonjour zakkutner,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your nice feedback with us on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased to read that you received an `excellent service'. Our team is always very proactive and do its best to provide the highest level of service, which you should expect from a Sofitel hotel. It is also wonderful to hear you enjoyed our very convenient location and delicious food at Le Bar.
Thank you very much to share your tips regarding the view with our valued readers.

Yours truly,