“Great Hotel in a Wonderful Location”

Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile
Ranked #25 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
Waco, Texas
“Great Hotel in a Wonderful Location”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We stayed at the Sofitel for a quick Chicago visit. We absolutely love all that Chicago has to offer and this hotel will definitely be one we will visit again. The hotel celebrated our 17th wedding anniversary with a room upgrade and chocolate covered strawberries. Here is a breakdown of Sofitel.

Front Desk: The Front Desk personnel are very nice and professional. We arrived at the hotel at 9:00 a.m. Even though check-in is at 3:00 p.m. they were able to accommodate us and check us in. I also liked how the staff came around the desk to shake our hands and give us our room keys.

Hotel: The hotel lobby is beautiful. I enjoyed the patio area in the front of the hotel. It was a great area to read or to just hang out. The hotel is in a great location. The hotel is walking distance from many wonderful restaurants and fantastic shopping. Also there is a great tea shop across the street.

Rooms: We had a Deluxe King Room. It was very clean, modern and a had a great view. The beds were very comfortable and the bathroom was a nice size for a city hotel. * note: the room does not have a coffee machine; however you can request a complimentary Keurig to have in the room. Also complimentary coffee and tea is provided every morning in the restaurant by the bar. This is not mentioned anywhere in the room or hotel. I just learned about this because of other reviews on Tripadvisor. The mini-bar is also very sensitive. Housekeeping must have moved some things around in the mini-bar and created a charge of $50. However the hotel quickly removed the charge without any hassle.

Area of Improvement: I would recommend that the hotel either on the website or checkin mention the the option of a coffee machine or the complimentary coffee and tea that is provided each morning. Also I did notice that the staff around the coffee/tea bar was not that friendly. They never greeted any of the guests that were getting coffee. There were other staff members at the front door, some bellman that never smiled or said hello. I think that these small improvements would make this a more like a 5 Star hotel. But from my experience I would say it’s a solid 4.5 star hotel. I would definitely recommend this hotel. Look forward to visiting Chicago soon.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Lovetotravelinluxury
S_Pfeiffer_Hotel_Mgr, General Manager at Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Bonjour Lovetotravelinluxury,

Thank you for your generous comments on TripAdvisor following your stay at the Sofitel Chicago Water Tower. I am so pleased that your overall guest experience was wonderful and that we fulfilled our mission to make this special occasion an unique one.
I am glad that you found the front desk staff `very nice and professional'. This is very important to us and we are very proud of us. I also really appreciate your comments for the design and comfort of the lobby, room and bathroom.
However, your description of the bellman and restaurant teams was so not in keeping with the feedback we generally receive, yet I am very appreciative that you brought those experiences to our attention. I have truly noted your recommendations.
Also it was great to read your comments about our central location close to both Michigan Avenue shopping and Gold Coast dining.
I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Sebastien Pfeiffer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (635)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Thomasville, Georgia
Reviewed 28 July 2014

The hotel provided a comfortable room with a nice view of the city, great staff that was friendly and answered all questions promptly, excellent food in a comfortable setting and a good value and the location provides easy access to most downtown sites.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Sofitel.com

Bonjour Don T,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments concerning your stay at the Sofitel Chicago Water Tower.
I appreciate your contribution with such a positive review. I am very happy that you spent an `excellent stay' with us, and that you appreciated our rooms along with the beautiful view, as well as our delicious food.
Also I was glad you took advantage of our wonderful location close to both Michigan Avenue shopping and Gold Coast dining.
I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I recently stayed at the Sofitel for a business trip to the Windy City and the hotel was clean and nicely decorated. I will return to Chicago in the future and stay at the Sofitel. the hotel is situated 2 minutes walk from the main shopping street and 5 minutes walk to the North side beach.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Sofitel.com

Bonjour Ian L,

Thank you so much for your nice posting on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay with us.
I am genuinely touched that you found our hotel `clean and nicely decorated'. Also I was glad you appreciated our wonderful location close to both Michigan Avenue shopping and Gold Coast dining..
I really look forward to seeing you in the not too distant future.
Yours sincerely,

Leavenworth, Kansas, USA
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Very clean and friendly hotel in the middle of the city! Close to Michigan Avenue and other fun things to do! The housekeeping / bellhop were very courteous. Remembered our name, which is amazing! Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Construction on front side of hotel.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Laurie W
S_Pfeiffer_Hotel_Mgr, General Manager at Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Bonjour Laurie W,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your comments concerning your `great stay' at the Sofitel Chicago Water Tower.
I so appreciate that you consider our hotel `clean and friendly'. So glad as well that you found the location ideal and that your entire stay met your expectations. This is very important to us. I have shared your nice comments with the bellman and housekeeping teams.
I look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Yours sincerely,

Angola, New York
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I was a little apprehensive when I booked the room. I had booked it through a website that only showed you the price, not the name of the hotel, until you actually booked and paid for the reservation. Also, we had never stayed at the Sofitel before. The room was excellent. It was very large, clean and comfortable. The staff, from the doorman, to the check-in service, to the Concierge, to the housekeeping service all made is feel like royalty. One of the best hotel experiences we have ever had. It was conveniently located close to the Magnificent Mile and the CTA train service. After we left and the room had already been checked into again, we discovered we had left some souvenirs in the room. We called to check to see if they could return them. The housekeeping staff had found them and everything was quickly returned to us in the mail. When we return to Chicago, we plan to book a reservation at the Sofitel again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank DTGENTRY
Bonjour DTGENTRY,

I so appreciate the precious time you so kindly took to share your guest experience on TripAdvisor. It is a pleasure to know that you consider your hotel experience as `one of the best your have ever had'.
Your feedback for our staff at the Sofitel Chicago Water Tower is of utmost importance, and I could not be happier to read and share it with the entire team.
Finally, thank you very much for pointing out our excellent location.
I am looking forward to welcoming you back really soon.

Leatherhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2014

As expected in a hotel of this rating we had a very comfortable stay. The rooms are spacious and well equipped. The beds are comfortable with super pillows and excellent linens.
Excellent bathroom with great towels toiletries and bathrobes.
The minibar is automated so it is not possible to remove items without charge but on request they provided a small 'fridge' at no additional charge.
Tea and coffee freely available at the bar until 1030am.
Convenience store and restaurants within immediate vicinity as well as the major stores of the magnificent mile.
Efficient and friendly service from all staff encountered

Hotel is situated north of the loop, very close to the Hancock Tower, the hop on hop off bus and the subway.
I would certainly is this hotel and train again

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank travguy
Bonjour travguy,

What a wonderful review you have given us! Thank you so very much for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor following your stay with us earlier this month.
I am thrilled that you liked the comfort of your room along with the amenities, but that you particularly enjoyed your interactions with our wonderful Ambassadors is the most important for us. I am also glad that you were particularly impressed by our famous Sofitel MyBeds.
Thank you for your nice words regarding our convenient location in Chicago downtown.

I am looking forward to a return trip.
With best regards,