“Weekend in Chicago”

Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile
Ranked #23 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Just stayed at this property over the weekend of Aug 1-3. We decided to take our kids for a weekend get away before school starts in a few weeks. Have visited Chicago many times and stayed at many of the hotels around Michigan Ave. This property was the best so far! Booked at last minute and had trouble finding rooms at "usual" hotels, so we decided to try the Sofitel. So glad we found this gem! 1st - location is excellent. On the north end of Michigan, so much local flavor to chose from, everything is walking distance. Plus being one block off Michigan makes this perfect. 2nd - noise.....or lack there of. We stayed on the 16th floor and did not hear one siren, horn honk, traffic, etc.....3rd - hotel is spotless. From the lobby, to the bar, to the rooms, everything was spotless. 4th - Room was spacious, bathroom was big and modern. 5th - Staff was very friendly and helpful! Overall our stay was great. Our 1st time at a Sofitel, but it won't be our last.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Pete S
S_Pfeiffer_Hotel_Mgr, General Manager at Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Bonjour Pete S,

Many thanks for taking the time to leave a review of your recent family getaway to the Sofitel Chicago Water Tower.
I enjoyed reading the fact that you consider us as `the best so far'.
I very much thank you for recommending us. Your satisfaction regarding the staffs’ service and the cleanliness of our property is most important for us, and I will be happy to share your feedback with the entire team.
I really appreciate as well your wonderful comments regarding the location of the hotel.
I look forward to welcoming you back in the hopefully not too distant future.
With Best Regards,

Sebastien Pfeiffer

Write a ReviewReviews (4,479)

Reviewed 2 August 2014

The Sofitel is a wonderful hotel. Rooms are nice. The customer service is top-notch. Don't forget to visit the restaurant. For Francophiles, this is the hotel for you! The touch that I remember the most fondly is the French soap which was so richly fragrant. We will stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
S_Pfeiffer_Hotel_Mgr, General Manager at Sofitel Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Bonjour Katherine P,

Thank you very much for choosing Sofitel Chicago Water Tower for your recent stay in Chicago.
What a pleasure to read that you found the room very nice and that you particularly liked our French bathroom amenities by Lanvin. I will personally share your compliments with the team who will be very happy to learn that you found the service `top notch'.
I am most grateful that you took the time to post such a nice review about your stay and I truly hope that we will have the pleasure to welcome you again to our hotel and restaurant.
Kindest Regards,

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Our family of four (two young children) stayed here in July. We chose this hotel based on its trip advisor rating and proximity to the magnificent mile. As frequent travelers we rely on trip advisor to help explore cities around the world. For the first time, we felt that trip advisor let us down. This is not a luxury hotel, we did not feel like we were staying at a superior property. There was nothing special about the hotel or our room in a positive sense.

During our first night, after we had all fallen asleep, we were awakened by a persistent knock on our door. This loud racket woke us all up. On my way to answering the door, it opened partially (luckily the security bolt was in place). It turned out that our unexpected guest was a member of Sofitel's housekeeping staff, offering evening turndown service at 10:00pm! Though the employee was quite polite and apologetic I found the experience quite odd.

Shaking of the previous night's experience we ventured down to breakfast at the on site restaurant, Café des Architectes. The food served at this venue was disappointing, mediocre (at best). We had opted for the "Magnifique Breakfast" - styled as a full breakfast - at reservation. When we sat down for breakfast we were presented with an extensive menu. We informed the waiter who came to take our order that we had "Magnifique Breakfast" vouchers. Our polite waiter informed us that a mistake had been made and that we had received the wrong menus. OK. He soon returned with an abbreviated menu with far fewer items listed than the previous one. Smooth Sofitel... Who knew that the breakfast package we purchased at this luxury property came with fewer options. Perhaps this sleight of hand would have been forgotten if breakfast had been enjoyable.

In all, I felt that the best part of the Sofitel Chicago experience was to be found at the front desk, where we were greeted warmly at check-in and at check-out. Our experience of Sofitel in between these bookends was abysmal for a luxury hotel. Far too many apologies, however well delivered, for my tastes.

4  Thank Safari100

Bonjour Safari100,

Firstly thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review of your stay with us on TripAdvisor. I was pleased to hear that you were satisfied with your `warm' check in and check out experiences.
On behalf of the whole team here I would like to express our sincere regret for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay and that led to your disappointing overall experience. The service you received from our housekeeping staff was not in keeping with our standards of excellence and I have shared your comments with my team for corrective actions.
The Sofitel `Magnifique Breakfast' package offers luxury accommodations and the American breakfast at our restaurant. I am very sorry for the confusion and rest assured that I will investigate further to understand what happened.
Again our sincere apologies for any inconvenience you faced during your stay.

I will be happy to welcome you back to Sofitel Chicago Water Tower soon and look forward to alter your opinion of our hotel.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Perfect downtown spot to explore the Gold Coast and Michigan Avenue. Short walk to Oak Street Beach. Classy, modern hotel that is nicely away from the hustle-bustle yet close to it all. Clean rooms and classy, French vibe.

Bonjour Jason B,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post such a nice review on Tripadvisor.
I am truly delighted to hear that you enjoyed our central and quiet location as well as the comfort of our rooms.
Your compliments were also relayed to the entire team, who was very touched by your kind words.
I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

I always love staying at the Sofitel. Service is fabulous, rooms are quiet and comfortable. As I have stayed at this Sofitel a few times in the past 7 years, I would like to suggest that there need to be some updates to the public spaces. The restaurant and Le Bar are looking a bit worn. Chair legs are beat up, upholstery is fraying and ragged, tables are scratched, flooring is worn, etc. I understand that this is where guests as well as the general public gather, but as a guest, I want to feel pampered no matter whether I am in my room or having a drink at the bar. I would love to see these spaces spruced up when I visit next time!

Bonjour Kim and Jim B,

Thank you for contributing with such a detailed review and I appreciate your loyalty towards our hotel. I am very happy that you always enjoy your stay with us, and that you love our rooms and the quality of our `fabulous service'. We aim for the highest standards of excellence in order to please our guests.
I have duly noted your comments about the `updates needed'. I will share them with my Engineering manager.
I look forward to welcoming you back home soon.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Stayed here 3 days for our daughter's wedding and reception at the hotel. Couldn't be more pleased with the venue, service, accommodations, food and value. Friendly and helpful staff. First class surroundings.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank MaineChas

Bonjour MaineChas,

I thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor and leaving such a positive review. I am so pleased that your overall guest experience was fantastic and that we fulfilled our mission to make this special occasion an unique one.
I am glad to know that you and your family enjoyed your stay, felt welcomed and that you received `first class' service and accommodations.

I hope to welcome you again for your next stay in Chicago.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay in Chicago at the Sofitel! We were a little worried about traveling with our 11 month old son, but they were more than accommodating. A roll-away crib was set up in the room with a brand new little teddy bear in it. To the side was a Johnson's baby bath kit with travel sizes of shampoo, lotion and baby powder with a rubber duck. The bath tub was great for a relaxing soak for me and then later for a splashing fun time for our baby. Most of what we did and saw was across the river and a bit of a walk, but there were plenty of food and sights nearby, too.

Room Tip: Wifi is free for the first 24 hours