“Relax and Enjoy the experience and the company.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Goosefoot

Goosefoot
Reserve with OpenTable
Goosefoot is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #510 of 9,495 Restaurants in Chicago
Price range: US$50 - US$50
Cuisines: International
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: North Washtenaw Ave.
Transit: Brown Line Rockwell Stop – Walk one and a half blocks north on Rockwell, turn left on Lawrence, walk 2 blocks.
Chicago
“Relax and Enjoy the experience and the company.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

If you are looking for a restaurant where you are in and out in an hour, this is NOT a place for you. At this restaurant, Chef Nugent and his wife Nina, wants the diners to have an experience where you can just relax, enjoy your wine (BYOB), taste creative cuisine, and enjoy your time with the people you are with.

This place requires that you plan ahead since it takes a couple months to get a reservation. My husband and I make reservations here for most of our special occasions way ahead of time. Before we leave, we make reservation for our next dinner.

This time, we went on my birthday. Nina and her staff went out of their way to make it a special day for me. All of them acknowledge my birthday, and in the end Nina even gave me a signed menu from her and her husband. I love the menu (see picture) since it is printed on planting seed paper (which I plant every year - pretty wildflowers).

The menu is 9 wonderful courses, so you will need to pace yourself with the alcohol. The most recent reservation, we only brought 1 bottle of champagne and thought that we may run out of drinks before all our food came out. I sent my poor husband out to get more wine (which was 2 blocks away but NOT very good selection). For the future, I would advise to bring at least 2 bottles for a couple. Last time we brought 4 half bottles to pair with the different courses. That seemed to work well last time, except we both felt a little tipsy by the time we were done. But one bottle is just not enough to enjoy with all the different courses. Remember its all about enjoying the experience by talking, drinking, and eating throughout the night.

Since my writing is not as creative as the courses that the chef created, I have attached pictures of each of the courses. All the courses were excellent, but I have indicated my favorites:

Course 1 - Scallops (which my husband thought was best in the city)
Course 2 - Eggs cooked in the shell (Just the best.., One of my favorites of the night).
Course 3 - Sunchoke Soup ( It looked so good that I didn't wait until it cooled down and burnt my tongue a bit. I would come back again and again just for the soup).
Course 4 - Salmon that was perfectly cooked.
Course 5 - Rabbit ( that was served in a glass, with some type of risotto (creamy texture)).
Course 6 - Angus Beef (Melted in your mouth)
Course 7 - Cheese Course like I have never had in any other place. It was 2 different things on the plate. One was a small cheese stuffed mini beignet. The other was a red liquid cheese shot. Interesting, creative, tasty. But my least favorite of the night but still very very good.
Course 8 - Guava Mouse dessert. Tasty Tasty Foam. Yum!!
Course 9 - Chocolate filled with banana cream.

If you love food and want a wonderful experience with company you enjoy, indulge one night and make a reservation at Goosefoot. Don't get discouraged when you can NOT make a reservation right away (you need to plan at least 2 months prior to get one). It is worth the wait. Nina, the chef, and the staff will make it a great experience for you.

Thanks to Nina, Chef, and the staff. I had a great birthday!!

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank GreeneChicago

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Prepare for an evening of gastonomic indulgance”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

My best friend and I made reservations for her birthday based on the reviews on line. We both share an extensive repitore of food/restaurant experiences- especially 5 star throughout the world. We have lived in Chicago and were familar with the area-which is off the beaten path so to speak. Parking was not an issue. Upon arriving we were immediately greated by chef's wife and co-owner who took our coats and sat us promptly. The decor is fresh and minimal and not distracting, and not warm- but appropriate- clean lines. Service was fabulous. Presentation also clean and creative. Note however, this was an 11 course experience with prefix menu. Highest quality ingredients most certainly. After the third course- a most delish chestnut soup-cream based, the base of this soup which was also heavy in aromatics, seemed too quickly repeated in the rabbit dish, and therefore was lost and actually ruined the courses following until our palette had a rest. One or the other course needs to be removed in order to balance the menu. After this hiccup, we were back on track and very pleased yet extremely saciated. The portions overall were appropriate- and attention to detail was spot on. The chocolates were amazing- a spin off soon to come by chef.
YES- it was fabulous- and expensive but knowing this there was no surprise. It also took 4 hours to experience this menu. Enjoy!!

• Visited March 2014
Zionsville
“Great birthday dinner!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

We were fortunate enough to get a Friday night table for my wife's birthday. Nina the chefs wife greeted us and was very nice. The meal took some time to get going, but once it did the pace was ok. Our favorite dishes were the chestnut soup, rabbit and sweetbreads and the steak course. The byob is nice so we indulged in three bottles, sending the half empties back to the kitchen. We have eaten all over the world and find this place to be of great quality and value. We will be back.

1 Thank B8zim
New York City, New York
“great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2014

this restaurant has great food. hence the 5 star review. but I do think they are pushing the limits with a $135 menu with the dumpy space they're still in. Low ceilings, blah decor. Menu barely changes. Does not seem like their sourcing is local. Where is the passion?

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank betty g
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Wonderful personal experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2013

Had a wonderful meal at Goosefoot recently. 9 delicious courses with not one bad course among them- all meticulously plated and absolutely delicious. It is also BYOB with no corkage fee which is nice as well. The best part of it was the personal touch by the owners- while we never met the chef/husband, the wife was very warm and the service wonderful. They even gave my wife a signed menu with a very nice and personal message at the end of the meal. The only downsides- and I'm nitpicking for sure- some of the courses in the beginning seemed to have a fair amount of time in between them so the pace seemed to drag at times- and it isn't a cheap meal by any means but the value is definitely there and you get what you pay for in this case. Definitely worth trying.

• Visited December 2013