“A Wonderful Anniversary”

ACME Hotel Company Chicago
Ranked #29 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 24 June 2012

We were in town to send our youngest son off on an educational adventure departing from O'Hare. Because the next day was our Anniversary, we decided to make a weekend celebration of it and have an adventure of our own. We wanted to stay downtown and see a show at Second City. I had stayed at the Palmer House Hilton once for a conference and looked into the cost for two nights. Downtown hotels on the weekend can be a bit expensive, so I searched a little on tripadvisor and found The Acme. Early reviews were not so good, but I could tell that the hotel was undergoing a renovation and recent reviews were excellent. The rates were not cheap, but relative to other hotels, they were reasonable. We took a chance and we were pleasantly surprised. The hotel is "hip". We recognized the eclectic flair of the music in the lobby, enjoyed the album covered elevator walls and all the attention to detail throughout the facility and the room. The staff was efficient and welcoming and we felt like pampered guests. The room was quiet and felt very urban. We walked to food, entertainment, and shopping. Our room had a minifridge and microwave so we kept water, leftovers and wine in the room. There were real glasses to drink from and lots of tiny surprises around every corner. Our only recommendation would be for management to provide corkscrews in the rooms and ceramic coffee cups for the morning joe! I doubt that we will ever be able to stay here in the future, not because we don't want to, but because once the word is out on this amazing facility, I am sure the cost will increase. I checked today and it is already up $70 a night over what we paid. If you are looking for unique, downtown, in the heart of it all, this is the place for you! Loved It!

Room Tip: We had a King with a separate living area on the 8th floor. It was quiet and perfect for a couple.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 23 June 2012

I stayed here for 6 nights during a conference, about a month after it reopened as the ACME Hotel. Check in was smooth, the front desk staff polite. I opted for the free thermos of coffee to be delivered to my door in the morning at a nominated time.

The room was small but adequate for a business traveller. Bedroom and bathroom were clean. My room overlooked E Ohio Street from the 8th floor. There were some city noises, but it was generally quiet, with the window closed. Wifi was fast and reliable. I did not test the ethernet. The airconditioning was efficient and kept the room at a comfortable temperature. The bed was excellent, and I enjoyed six nights of excellent sleep. In particular, I had no issue with the light from the bathroom mirror, once the door was closed.

The room facilities included a large plasma television with a good selection of channels, a room safe, a desk, and a couple of racks for hanging up clothes. I don't recall a kettle or separate tea making facilities, but there was sugar and creamer for the coffee, which was promptly delivered with a newspaper on time. Breakfast was included free, I suspect for all residents, as there was no need to register one's room number. Options included bread, pastries, eggs (fried or hard boiled), yogurt, fresh fruit and a DIY waffle grill, as well as four different fruit juices and coffee.

The hotel location is excellent, just a couple of blocks from the southern end of the Magnificent Mile, with excellent restaurants such as Joe's Seafood round the corner, as well as 2 nearby supermarkets.

Management response:Responded 26 June 2012

Hi Pinesquirrel, thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and I am happy to hear that you enjoyed all the amenities and service's we offer. You are correct there is no coffee in the rooms because we deliver it to your room for FREE in an ACME thermos. It looks like you were able to take advantage of the great service we offer. Thanks again for choosing the ACME Hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next Chicago visit.

Reviewed 22 June 2012

I stayed here for a business trip for 3 days while attending a conference in Chicago. My company has a pretty strict budget for hotels, so in places like New York, London, Paris, etc., the options are usually quite limited.
I was therefore extraordinarily surprised to come here and learn that somehow this hotel fit in our budget, because it seems like it is worth far more than what we paid.
My stay was June 20-22, and I believe the hotel was just renovated after being converted from another hotel, so everything is literally brand new. More than that, the rooms and overall hotel has a great vibe and just a nice design. Free, very fast wifi as well, which is a nice touch as compared to basically every other hotel.
Even beyond that, the staff were super friendly and accommodating, especially since my flight was early and therefore I got in quite early to the hotel.
All in all, this seems to me a no brainer of a place to stay.

Management response:Responded 26 June 2012

Hi GrahamToronto, I am so glad you enjoyed your experience at our new hotel, and thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us. The vibe in the hotel is very different and hip. Thanks for choosing the ACME Hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next Chicago visit.

Reviewed 22 June 2012

My daughter and I stayed at the Acme Hotel for 2 nights just last week in June. The location was excellent, just a few blocks from the Magnificent Mile shopping district, the Millennium Park area, and close to Navy Pier.
We loved the feel of the hotel and the quirky touches to our room including the "red lips" on the bathroom mirror that served as a night light and the complimentary coffee delivery, morning paper, and buffet breakfast.
We were upgraded to a double queen room on the 14th floor and had plenty of space, including a bar area with a fridge and microwave. We would have loved to enjoy the facilities downstairs including the gym and the hot spa but ran out of time.
We would definitely stay at the Acme Hotel again and would highly recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a refrigerator if you feel you need one
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank 655BeateM
Management response:Responded 26 June 2012

Hi 655BeateM, thanks for sharing your ACME Hotel experience with us and we are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Our location really is perfect for visiting Chicago and I am glad that you were able to enjoy the very unique Early Morning Joe delivery. Thanks again for choosing the ACME Hotel and we look forward welcoming you back on your next Chicago visit.

Reviewed 21 June 2012

Stayed at this hotel from June16 to June 18.I was a bit skeptical of staying at this hotel as I heard it was the Comfort Inn before the renovations took place.Boy was I surprised.
We checked in on my birthday and prior to checking in we had a disastrous morning and afternoon. If one more thing had gone wrong I knew I would be in tears. We checked in with a gentleman named Pavan who was one of the most friendly and polite front desk associate I have ever met! I had told him it was my bday and that we had such a rough morning/afternoon and he gave us a break on parking. What a great bday present! I already knew things were going to pick up. He continued to speak with us in a friendly manner and gave us some suggestions on where to go etc. He is definitely an asset to the team! So we got to our room and the decor was so funky and different. Its so nice to see a change from the usual. We all loved the lips on the bathroom mirror, how cool! The room was very clean and spacious. We had two double beds so thats probably why we had all that space. I peeked into a room with a single dble and it was quite small. Anyway that night we went partying and came back to the hotel around 4am and realized we had misplaced the keys. There was a gentleman working at the front with glasses (forget his name) and he was amazing. So polite and accomodating. To top it off this was not even his regular shift, he was just filling in for someone but you would've never known (i asked thats how i knew). Anyways he was so quick and we had our keys in no time.
The staff at this hotel are incredible and deserve some praise. The hotel room is very hip and exceeded my expectations. The only thing that I felt was missing is the coffee maker in each room. They do have a morning service which drops off coffee but sometimes its nice to be able to make a cup after dinner, or a long day out. However, with the great service, excellent location, and funky cool rooms I def would recommend this place. Way to go!

Room Tip: If you want a bigger room book one with two double beds.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Management response:Responded 26 June 2012

Hi bebeloz, thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us and I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the ACME Hotel. I have shared this with Pavan our Front Desk Supervisor as well. The lips on the mirror in the bathroom are fun aren't they, and they make a great night light! Thanks again for choosing the ACME Hotel for your birthday and we look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in Chicago!

Reviewed 20 June 2012

My daughter and I stayed at the Acme Hotel for 3 nights in June. We really liked the hip decor in the lobby, that included lava lamps and in our room, that included a zipper wall and light up lips on the bathroom mirror. I enjoyed amenities like the complimentary morning coffee delivery service and free breakfast. Their sign states they will only be offering the free breakfast until their restaurant is finished in the Fall. That's too bad! The location of the Acme is very convenient to Michigan Ave. The rate I got at this hotel was a great deal on Book it. I would definitely recommend this hotel for couples or families with teenagers.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 26 June 2012

Hi WItraveller53090, we are a Funky Fun Hotel aren't we! Thanks for the great review and taking the time to share your thoughts. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the great Morning Joe Delivery with your 16oz thermos of FREE coffee. Thanks again for choosing the ACME Hotel and we look forward to seeing you again on your next Chicago visit.

Reviewed 20 June 2012

Just stayed here for work, the location is perfect, steps away from Magnificent Mile. Staff is great. Well renovated with thought put into functionality. My only complaint was no breakfast room yet, and the temporary one wasn't so good.

Management response:Responded 26 June 2012

Hi kirstyjayne, thanks for taking the time to review our new hotel and I am so happy to hear you enjoyed the your ACME Hotel experience. Thanks for choosing us for your Chicago trip and we look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in town.