“Decent price, comfortable room but some missing amenities”

ACME Hotel Company Chicago
Ranked #29 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 23 March 2014

This hotel is very reasonably priced for Chicago, and was a cool find in some ways. The location is good except for the nasty closed hostel/restaurant next door. The hotel itself has a tiny lobby and hallway, but check in was super efficient.

Rooms are small-ish but perfectly adequate. The light from across the street was a bit of a nuisance the first night so I had to really block the shade and wedge something on it in the windowsill to avoid that light shining in my eyes.

No room service to speak of - a small menu of expensive breakfast items they will bring you with coffee, that's it. Didn't bother since there a supermarket a few doors down and a Starbucks on the corner.

Bathroom was nice except the water pressure was pretty low. The nightlight are these huge lips on the mirror which was creepy in a fun way.

Lack of storage in the room is an issue, I stayed for over a week and had nowhere to store stuff that has to be folded - ended up having to live out of a suitcase which I didn't much like.

Otherwise the hotel was fine, the bar was quite nice, and being able to use the shuttle service to the Housewares show (right around the corner) saved me a lot of money.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Brent H, Front Office Manager at ACME Hotel Company Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Hi, touchofeurope,

Thanks for your review! I am glad you found your room comfortable. I am sorry to hear that your lack of storage was an issue. On your next visit, we would be more than happy to recommend our spacious double queen room which has a closet for additional storage. Also, I hope you will be able to enjoy the delicious sandwiches offered by our West Town Bakery available on our room service menu. I apologize if this was not communicated to you during your stay! We very much hope to see you again!

Reviewed 18 March 2014

Most fun artsy decor, friendly, efficient, great location, and comfy. The Knock And Drop free coffee service is the best idea ever. The best Samsung TV and free wifi seal the deal. This place is hard to beat.

Room Tip: Ask directions to Downtown Dogs. Mmmmm.
1  Thank Carol F
Brent H, Front Office Manager at ACME Hotel Company Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Hi, Carol F!

Thanks for the great review! I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. It's so great to hear that you were able to enjoy some of our free perks, like our Knock-and-Drop Service and the free wi-fi. Hope to see you next time you're in the Windy City!

Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

Great center city location. Once I parked in the ramp next door, I didn't have to drive again as Chicago is outside the front door. Hotel works hard to be funky & memorable from the knowledgable friendly grunge-attired front desk staff to the many artistic splashes on the walls and in the bedrooms. Well appointed exercise room and gorgeous hot tub room. Hotel is clean, comfortable. Their "drop and run" coffee is really handy!
Downside: There's no desk or table to work from. Because of location, sounds from outside on the street and from that next door parking ramp are constant. Sirens. Car alarms. Honking. Even talking entered my room and I was on 7th floor.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank DRLAdventures

Hi, DRLAdventures!

Thanks for your review! I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I'm sorry to hear that you did not have the space in your room to work. Next time you stay with us, please let our agents know that you'd like a work space; we most certainly have rooms to accommodate! Hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 13 March 2014

If you want a hotel with a great vibe & a flavor all it's own & an amazing staff then your only choice should be the Acme! It's in a perfect location in the city, 2 blocks from the L on the red line. Easy access to everything. I never had to take my car out of the parking garage during my entire stay. Hotel staff was so friendly & personable. Every inch of the hotel we were in was immaculate,starting with the lobby, elevators, our amazing room, the gym, sauna & hot tub area. This was our first time in Chicago & thanks to the Acme it was a great one! We will definitely be staying here again!

• Stayed: March 2014

Hi, HHarris22!

Thanks for you review! It's great to hear that you enjoyed everything the ACME is all about. I'm glad you chose us for your first stay in Chicago. I hope it won't be the last!

Reviewed 10 March 2014

Cannot rave enough about the ACME Hotel. From the moment we checked in, until we checked out six days later. The staff very friendly and attentive to our every need. Two small elevators, but fast (and quiet). Rooms might be a slightly small but very comfortable. Bedding was great. Heater worked perfectly, especially with sub-zero temperatures outside. Six fluffy pillows on the bed. Every amenity imaginable in the bathroom including a full size soap bar~! (first hotel I’ve ever stayed at that offered a full size soap bar) Sure, no coffeemaker in the room but who needs it with hot steaming coffee delivered to your door every day, at whatever time you request, for no charge! Solid walls so you don’t “hear” your neighbors. Big flat screen TV with 60 channels to choose from (including HBO). Best WiFi connection ever. The attached bakery (West Town Bakery) has some great tasty treats, all at a reasonable price and the Berkshire Room with a great selection of drinks and a light menu. Step outside and your minutes away from Michigan Ave., for shopping; or look around at the great neighborhood restaurant selection; Weber Grill around the corner on N. State St. or try Quartino Ristorante on N. State & W Ontario a block away (highly recommend this restaurant). ACME Hotel is a must, if staying in Chicago; for business or pleasure. Reasonably priced and a true adventure in a boutique hotel setting.

2  Thank Luke1015

Hi, Luke1015!

Thanks so much for your review! I am so happy that you were able to experience and enjoy all of the aspects of the hotel during your stay. We'd love to have you stay again!

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Acme was clean, accommodating, very friendly, and unique. We love the music theme, playful atmosphere. The room was top quality, the hot tub and the morning coffee service were fabulous, and the robes were cozy. Acme's location to everything downtown is perfect and the price was right. This will be the place we stay whenever visiting Chi Town.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank AnnaLilly1290
Brent H, Front Office Manager at ACME Hotel Company Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2014

Thanks, AnnaLilly1290, for the great review! I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 1 March 2014

What a transformation this place has had since the last time I stayed there and it was a Comfort Inn (I think). The vibe is fresh, youthful and fun. Very helpful desk people. I was in the same kind of room as when it was another hotel but wow, the renovation & decoration is fantastic. Very modern yet cozy. I'm not crazy about the rain shower heads but the bathroom is cool, water pressure could be better in both sink and shower. HUGE flatscreen TV w/ USTRA HD! For some shows it's almost too much but pretty cool. "Knock & Drop" coffee feature is great: call before going to sleep to set a time and they drop off an Acme thermos of coffee at your door w/ a knock. The views aren't amazing from the room but who needs that when you're so close to all the shopping and museums on Michigan ave.? Hot tub (104degrees!) and dry sauna as well as a small efficiently equipped gym in the lower level where the business counter is. The 2nd floor has a huge social space, great place to meet people or even have meetings possibly. And the main floor hosts the very popular on the weekends Berkshire room... boom boom boom. Was here for work but if would def. stay here paying from my own pocket.

Room Tip: Try to get a room w/ views on the front street, the back has only views onto a parking structure or...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Texpat75

Hi, Texpat75!

Thanks for the great review! I'm so glad you stayed with us again after our renovations were complete and that you enjoyed the transformation! It's great to hear that you'd visit again. Hope to see you again soon!