“Don't Forget Your Anvil!”

ACME Hotel Company Chicago
Ranked #28 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 30 March 2014

This hotel was fantastic. From the moment you arrive, the term "boutique hotel" is defined in the quirkiness and elegance of this establishment.

The location was excellent. Located just off the miracle mile, the hotel is close to shops and restaurants. My friends and I never had any trouble walking to most attractions since the hotel is so centrally located. There is a grocery store close by to stock up on snacks and other provisions for your stay. Perfect.

The staff is friendly and helpful. They will provide maps of the city and are also knowledgeable about most city attractions.

The room is cleverly decorated and immaculate. A pair of giant lips are painted on the bathroom mirror, bright orange mid-century inspired chairs make up the seating area, and comfy beds are perfect for a nights rest after schlepping all over Chicago during the day. Cute details like flying pig statuettes adorn the shelves, and robes with the ACME logo are out for your use. Very comfortable and convenient. The room has closet space and plenty of room for your luggage. The room has a large television and an ihome on the nightstand. I would have liked more outlets to charge various accessories, but I always bring my extension/multi-plug cord for such occasions. Rooms have refrigerators and microwaves convenient for keeping your drinks cold and heating up a quick breakfast before hitting the exciting streets of Chicago.

The ice machine is just down the hall on every floor. You can tell by the painting of an ice-machine on the outside of the door. Ha! The elevators are decorated with album cover art from the 1970s and 80s. Your room will have a chalkboard on it for your "Do Not Disturb" messages to housekeeping. Or in our case to write "Candygram!" and "That's all Folks!" and other daily nonsense messages that made us laugh.

In the end, I have no complaints about this hotel. I highly recommend it for your stay in Chicago. I had never been to Chicago before, but if I go again, I will be staying at ACME. I've already recommended it to a friend of mine who will be visiting this summer.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Brent H, Front Office Manager at ACME Hotel Company Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Hi, Mrs_Kenobi!

I loved reading your review. Thanks so much for your feedback! It's great to hear everything that you enjoyed about your stay with us. I really hope we can look forward to seeing you again next time you're in Chicago!

P.S. Great pics!

Reviewed 30 March 2014

Unless you're stuck on what a hotel room "should" be like, you'll likely appreciate what ACME does to redefine the urban hotel experience. Rooms are small but they feel spacious and have more furniture and comfort than much larger rooms in much more expensive hotels because they've used the space so well and paid careful attention to the details. The design is functional funky--from the designer ironing board hanging on the wall to the plumber's pipe railing in the elevators. So many little touches that you wouldn't expect at a discount hotel in the heart of a major city--outstanding flat screen TV with great picture and good channel selection; night stands on both sides of the bed with actual draw space; a table with seating for 4; good bathroom; very clean and everything modern; fast elevators; fast, free high-speed wifi. And the location is very good. Highly recommend. Two quibbles: first, the aforementioned table serves as the desk for the room, too, and it's too high to comfortably type and it's comfortable to sit at for a long work session; I appreciate the cool, functional design, but they take it a little too far in the bathroom by not having a toilet paper holder--the tp just sits next to the toilet.
But I give them very high marks for enough other touches--like the quality of the TV and internet--that they still get all 5 stars. Oh, and I found the staff to be exceptionally helpful.

Hi, tbrooksher!

Thanks for your great feedback! I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your experience with us and that you found the staff helpful. It's great to hear when guests really appreciate the design. We really hope to have you back again!

Reviewed 29 March 2014

I have stayed at the Acme hotel at least 6-7 times now and it is by far my favorite hotel in Chicago. I have an office 2 blocks away and I stay in Chicago a lot b/c of my job. The Acme comes off as a 4 store hotel at a much more competitive price than anything in the area.

The rooms are really nice, the beds are amazing, free coffee delivery to your door in the morning...how could that be bad. Additionally, they have super high end iPod docs in your room so you have the luxury of a great home stereo at your finger tips. The staff is always friend and they have one of THE best whiskey selections in any hotel I've ever stepped in. Mixology is their gig at the hotel bar. The onsite bakery is incredible as well.

All the furnishings of a truly boutique hotel at competitive prices. My wife also travels with me from time to time and she loves the Acme b/c it's central to everything you'd want to do in Chicago. I have zero complaints about this place.

Room Tip: If you can upgrade to a suite when you book, do it. It's totally worth the value as you have a...

Hi, Jeremy S!

What a great review - thank you! It's great to hear that everything the ACME has to offer keeps you coming back for more. I hope we see much more of you in the future!

Reviewed 26 March 2014

Had a great time at the Acme Hotel in Chicago. My wife and I brought our daughter who was home on spring-break from college. The location of the hotel couldn't have been better. We have visited Chicago many times and have stayed at many different hotels near Michigan Ave. This was as good as it gets with respect to location, service, cleanliness & bed comfort. The hotel offers free (and great tasting) coffee each morning. Simply tell the front desk how many thermoses of coffee you would like and what time you would like it and they will bring it to your room and knock. When you open the door you will find the coffee outside. We loved the Berkshire room on the first floor. The bartenders make great cocktails and go out of their way to make your experience a great one. They will offer you their expertise on the many varieties of whisky, rye, bourbon and scotch they carry in house. Three areas I might offer a critique: 1. The room could be a little brighter. We did not get enough natural light from our windows and the room lighting seemed to be a little dim. Perhaps more lights or brighter light bulbs might help. 2. There could be a little more shelf space in the bathroom. What shelf space there is becomes a little cramped for 2 or 3 people. 3. There is not a holder for the toilet paper. I know this may sould a little odd but the roll of toilet paper has to sit on the back of the toilet or under the sink. Not as convenient when you have to reach around back and try to feel for the roll. But all in all, this is a great hotel and I would definately stay at the Acme again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a good exposure to outside natural light

Hi, AndrewMichael2014!

Thank you for the wonderful review! I am so glad you were able to enjoy your experience with us and that you enjoyed both our Knock and Drop service and The Berkshire Room. We hope to see you again next time you're in Chicago!

Reviewed 24 March 2014

Stayed here for three days over a weekend. The place is frankly way too cool for me, but I'm OK with that. Room was comfortable. Good shower and bathroom. Nice TV. Fantastic location (Ohio 1/2 block from State), and staff was friendly. Enjoyed the hot tub. Not a luxury experience, but a very nice place to stay at a bargain rate.

Hi, Joseph K!

Thanks for the great feedback. It's great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. And thanks for the compliment, but we're not too cool for anyone! Here at the ACME, we love everyone. If there is any place to "do your thing," it's here at the ACME! That said, we hope to have you back again soon.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

Great location, great service, great amenities. Stayed in a queen suite with terrific city views and quiet sleeping. LOVE the lips/nightlight in the mirror on the bathroom. Free coffee delivered to your door in the morning in thermoses is an excellent perk, and it's great to have the bakery and lounge in the lobby. Parking is in a public lot right next door to the hotel, and couldn't be easier. We've stayed at many hotels in Chicago and highly recommend the Acme.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better the view.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Thanks, RKTrip1, for the fantastic review! It's so great to hear everything you were able to enjoy during your stay. The fact that you would highly recommend the ACME means so much to us. We can't wait to have you back!

Reviewed 23 March 2014

This hotel is very reasonably priced for Chicago, and was a cool find in some ways. The location is good except for the nasty closed hostel/restaurant next door. The hotel itself has a tiny lobby and hallway, but check in was super efficient.

Rooms are small-ish but perfectly adequate. The light from across the street was a bit of a nuisance the first night so I had to really block the shade and wedge something on it in the windowsill to avoid that light shining in my eyes.

No room service to speak of - a small menu of expensive breakfast items they will bring you with coffee, that's it. Didn't bother since there a supermarket a few doors down and a Starbucks on the corner.

Bathroom was nice except the water pressure was pretty low. The nightlight are these huge lips on the mirror which was creepy in a fun way.

Lack of storage in the room is an issue, I stayed for over a week and had nowhere to store stuff that has to be folded - ended up having to live out of a suitcase which I didn't much like.

Otherwise the hotel was fine, the bar was quite nice, and being able to use the shuttle service to the Housewares show (right around the corner) saved me a lot of money.

Hi, touchofeurope,

Thanks for your review! I am glad you found your room comfortable. I am sorry to hear that your lack of storage was an issue. On your next visit, we would be more than happy to recommend our spacious double queen room which has a closet for additional storage. Also, I hope you will be able to enjoy the delicious sandwiches offered by our West Town Bakery available on our room service menu. I apologize if this was not communicated to you during your stay! We very much hope to see you again!