“Much to commend it, but not without flaws”

ACME Hotel Company Chicago
Ranked #27 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 16 May 2014

This is in many ways an excellent bolthole for exploring Chicago. The location is perfect: it's around the corner from a Red Line (Subway) station, a few blocks from the Magnificent Mile and surrounded by bars and restaurants. You feel like you're in the thick of the action.

Our room was quite small by American standards but stylishly decorated. The bed was extremely comfortable, the TV massive and crystal clear and the wi-fi fast, free and reliable. What detracted from all of that was the view. We had been given the option to upgrade to a room with a city view during the online-check-in process for an extra $10 a night; well, we should've taken it. As it was, all that could be seen from our window was a wall and some ducting. It was so dark and oppressive that the room needed to have its lights on at all times of the day.

Our stay was plagued by problems with TV reception. Before staff realised that the whole hotel was affected, they upgraded us to another room after we complained about the issue. The second room was a double queen, much bigger and with two windows: one with the same 'view' as in the first room, the other overlooked by a multi-storey car park. It was marginally better than before and we were grateful for the upgrade.

We loved ACME's 'knock and drop' free coffee service in the morning, although you have to tell them you want it each night of your stay, otherwise you won't get it. For breakfast, there's a cool bakery on-site; if you want a cooked breakfast, your best bet is Eggsperience, a couple of blocks away, which does a full breakfast menu (good food, great service, 1990s decor). And there's a very useful supermarket on the other side of the street.

There's a gym and hot tub in the basement. We only took a look on our last day and regretted not bringing our swimwear - the hot tub looked great. The hotel's pride and joy, though, or so it seemed to us, is its bar, the Berkshire Room: a fantastic space, beautifully turned out, serving excellent cocktails. If we lived in Chicago, we'd be here a lot.

All in all, I'd happily stay at the ACME again, but only if the TV reception was fixed and only by paying the extra for a city-view room. If no such room were available, then sadly I'd probably look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Unless street noise is an issue for you, then it's really worth paying the extra for a city-view...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Brent H, Front Office Manager at ACME Hotel Company Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Hi, Bel_Ludovic!

Thanks for your review! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us and found time to appreciate the Berkshire Room and our Morning Joe service. I'm sorry to hear that our temporary snag in TV reception affected your stay, but I hope that you'll stay with us again and enjoy our City View Queen or King Suite!

There are newer reviews for ACME Hotel Company Chicago

Reviewed 9 May 2014

Stayed at the Acme for 3 nights this past week while In Chicago for a conference. First, it is a really cool concept for a small boutique, which is what I was looking for and it was a couple of minute walk to the conference hotel that I needed to be at during the day. It is located in the middle of the Upper North River area, just north of the Loop, so it is a great location. A short walk to the shops and action on Michigan Avenue.

As for the room: I asked for a quiet room after reading reviews on here and elsewhere. They accommodated that request as I was in room 1005, thus the room had no view whatsoever, which was fine with me. It was mostly quiet, which is what I wanted.

The room had a great king size bed which was very comfortable and a decent size bathroom, with a waterfall shower (not my favorite shower head).

Cool furnishings, a small desk, a nice TV, free WiFi, free coffee in the morning, a nice hot tub and sauna in the basement are all part of the services offered at the Acme.

The only drawbacks: no true closet in the room, just hooks on the wall (which is sort of weird) and when the guests in the room next door were talking, I could hear them pretty clearly. Luckily for me that wasn't all that much time.

Overall, I was pleased by the hotel, the room, the location and the price ( a bargain compared to other area hotels). If not for the few drawbacks I mentioned, I would have given it a 4.5 stars.

Room Tip: If you ask for a quiet room, they will accommodate you, but you won't have a view.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Brent H, Front Office Manager at ACME Hotel Company Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Hi, jhklawyer!

Thanks for your review! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that we were able to accommodate your requests. I hope we can look forward to having you stay with us again next time you're in Chicago!

Reviewed 9 May 2014

We were looking for a place centered around my partners work in downtown Chicago and near some cool places to eat. We came across this hotel. Check in was easy, parking was easy, and the rooms and hallways are unlike any other stuffy hotel. Parking is in the garage right next to the hotel and it was affordable, as downtown hotels go. It was under $40 and you park yourself so you don't need a tip.
The rooms were decorated pretty cool. The artwork hanging up wasnt have the obligatory flower or seascape scenery you usually see people selling at garage sales. It was cool artwork. Our room had a huge print of a hand print. The rooms aren't very big, but when you're not spending much time in them, that shouldn't matter. They have phone charging station at the desk, and really nice robes to use while you're there.
The rooms are equipped with fridges and stocked fridges with beer and soda. the beers were $5 each which isn't too bad considering you'll pay that at the bars in the area. If you're looking for a cool place to stay, this is it. But don't expect to cram a bunch of people into the smaller rooms.
The elevators have cool album covers hanging in them and they play music from the said albums. I thought that was a nice touch! They have a bar/restaurant but I cant comment on that because we didn't go in. they did give us 2 free drinks coupons however. We were getting away form our toddler for the night so we wanted to venture out.
I would highly recommend this place. The rates aren't that bad, although we did splurge. Our room had a great view of the Hancock building. It was cool to fall asleep with that view. We did ask to change our room from the first one due to some noise, but they had no problems moving us! Everyone was very nice. As far as location, you really cant beat it. It's right near Weber Grill and some of the other cool restaurants.
Stay here if you ever get the chance!
I'd give it a 5 but I didn't go into the restaurant/bar so I feel my visit wasn't as complete.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with the view looking towards the Hancock building
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi, Gigizombie!

Thanks for the awesome review! It's great to hear all that you enjoyed about your stay with us. I am glad you had a fantastic experience, but I hope you'll come back again soon so you can check out the Berkshire Room and West Town Bakery! See you next time!

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Great hotel in a super Chicago location perfect for exploring the City. The room itself was excellent. I reserved a King Suite as it was my husband's birthday and I had planned for a few surprise visitors to join us for cocktails one evening. The lounge area of the room was great for our group of 7 and it was nice to have a separate spot to relax. The hotel decor is quirky and modern but overall the vibe is laid back without sacrificing any of the polish you might expect for an urban hotel. Very nice to have the hot tub and sauna after a day walking around the city.

I highly recommend the Acme, especially given the higher prices of many of the nearby hotels.

Room Tip: The suites are excellent.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kelgroove1

Thanks very much, kelgroove1, for the fantastic review! It's great to hear that you chose the ACME for your husband's birthday celebration! I am so glad that you both had a wonderful stay and enjoyed the king suite. Please come back and see us again!

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Great hotel with amazing staff there to help with anything you need. Great location. We walked to great shopping on the magnificent mile, the river and little further to State Street parking. Amazing restaurants very close, especially Eataly which is on the next block. Hubbard street is only 4 shorts blocks away with many restaurants and great bars, great nightlife.
Cool hip vibe in the hotel. We got the king sized room and it gave us a ton if room. Highly recommend.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi, AurelioToronto!

I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and found our staff so accommodating! It's great to hear that you found the location so convenient. We love being a part of the River North area. Thanks for your review and hope to have you back again!

Reviewed 2 May 2014

This charming small hotel just of the Michigan Avenue shopping district is wonderful. Hot coffee delivered to your room in the morning, comfortable beds, a quiet location in the midst of a noisy area with lots of chain restaurants--this is also reasonably priced. It's definitely not more than about a good three-star, but it's a good compromise between value and hipness. The lobby is kind of dark, the bar is very noisy, and maybe they are trying too hard for the hipness thing, but it is a great place.

Room Tip: If you can get a room on Ohio Street, you'll have a nice view but have a bit of noise. Otherwis...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Brent H, Front Office Manager at ACME Hotel Company Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Hi, Hans50!

Thanks for the great review! I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. It's good to hear that you liked the Morning Joe service. We hope to have you stay again soon!

Reviewed 30 April 2014

One of the reviewers pointed out that he feels he's been duped by the reviews into thinking this is a 5 star hotel. No, it's not a 5 star class hotel. However, it has more amenities, service, and creature comforts than you fill find at MOST 4 star hotels.
The room I stayed in utilized the space very well and not only does it accommodate a large comfy bed but also a long table with comfy benches. The floors are hardwood-like and the room itself is clean. Did I mention free wi-fi?
This is a definitely hip boutique hotel with all the trendy art decor in and outside of the room (You'll see what I mean when you check in).

While this hotel can be easily passed over in the streets you can find an organic cafe inside across the lobby. A lot of the stuff they carry is organic but not all of their stock is organic.
The best thing about this hotel is not only is it comfortable with the right amenities it also located in the heart of River North where all the restaurants and bars are located. If you need a place to crash for the night you can use the HotelTonight app and get $25 off with code (mrhee2).

I would definitely stay at this hotel if I visited Chicago again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Thanks, mrhee2, for the fantastic review! It's great to hear that you enjoyed your room and the amenities that we offer. We'd love to have you stay again next time you're in Chicago!