“Great place to stay in Chicago!”

ACME Hotel Company Chicago
Ranked #32 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 3 September 2014

We only stayed here one night but would have loved to stay more...Chicago is an amazing city and even though we had just over 24 hours in the city we managed to see lots. Hotel is in great location just off the Magnificent Mile (main luxury shopping street).It's in walking distance from many attractions; Mag Mile, Navy Pier, Boat tours, Hancock Tower etc. We got the 'El' train down to Soldier Field, but walked back all the way through Grant Park and saw 'The Bean' in Millenium park, however, if you don't mind a bit of walking all these places are not out of reach without using the train.

As this was the first stop on a long (and potentially expensive) trip around US, and it was day time we decided to use the trains to get from the airport. A 24 hour transit card cost $10. We got the blue train from o'hare to Washington street and then swapped to the red line up to Grand-a 2 min walk from the hotel. If we did it again would've got the blue a stop further to Jackson for step free access with heavy luggage as Washington was a bit of a hassle! On the way back we took a cab which cost around $45 including tip and took around 20 mins.

The room was modern, quirky and clean. Great little additions such as bath robes and dock for ipod (old style 30 pin connector). You can also connect your ipad etc to the TV. The free 'morning joe' coffee is great (even if we did get 5 instead of 2 flasks of coffee!) - one would be enough for two people only wanting one cup. We liked the chalk boards on the front of doors too.

The hotel is 'hip & trendy' but as a couple we didn't feel that we were 'too old'. The old record covers & rock music in the lifts was good fun. The front desk were extremely friendly and helpful - even accepting a package from a friend at home for a family member who lives in Chicago and hailing us a cab in the pouring rain!

All in all, I couldn't fault this hotel & we'd happily stay here again if we were to visit Chicago - good value too!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Gabrielle K, Front Office Manager at ACME Hotel Company Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2014

Hi, Nikki C!

Thank you so much for your fantastic review! I'm so glad that you enjoyed your ACME experience. It's great to hear all that you loved about your short but pleasant stay and that our staff were so helpful. We would love to have you stay with us again next time you're in Chicago!

Write a ReviewReviews (4,065)

Reviewed 3 September 2014

My main thing for a hotel is a comfy bed and a great shower...and of course cleanliness. Acme is in an ideal location and it's decorated and furnished really rock n roll/artsy cool. The elevators are lined with album covers and rock music is streamed in. The staff is helpful and friendly. The rooms are modern with an artistic flair. I loved the comfy bed. The shower head is a rain shower type. The hotel is within walking distance to everything you need.

Room Tip: We chose a room where you can view the floating mannequin outside the window.

Hi, imwild!

Thanks for your review! It's great to hear that you found your stay with us so comfortable and that our staff were so helpful. We'd love to have you stay with us again soon!

Reviewed 2 September 2014

I made a reservation with this hotel through a Travelzoo promotion back in June. Somehow Travelzoo, by mistake, sent a cancellation request to the hotel. Although I called the hotel almost immediately (and later, Travelzoo representative also called the hotel) to reinstate my reservation from July 28 to Aug 1, the front desk guy who answered the call was so unfriendly and unwilling to help. He refused to reinstate the reservation or do anything, regardless of my explanation that Travelzoo sent the cancellation request mistakenly, while I as the customer wanted to keep the reservation. At this point, Travelzoo told me that there's nothing they can do because they didn't charged me. Out of frustration, I left a message with the hotel manager. Next day, the manager called back and agreed to reinstate my reservation. As a result, I received an email confirmation on July 10. However, two days before my trip to Chicago (July 25), I received a system-generated cancellation email from the hotel, telling me that my reservation was cancelled. Totally confused, I called the hotel to verify, and unfortunately, the first guy I talked to answered the call. Like before, he was cold and impatient, claiming he knew nothing about this and I would have to call his manager when he's back to work, on the day of my flight. Such a night ware to speak to this guy, I was so frustrated that I can't trust the words from the hotel any more. Which hotel would suddenly cancel a guest's reservation for no reason??? My only guess was, they gave the room to someone else who booked at the regular rate. Anyways, I didn't want to risk ending up on the street when I arrive in Chicago and so I had to find another place to stay through my trip in Chicago. I never stayed at the hotel, but I was charged the full amount because the hotel contended that the booking is non-cancellable and non-refundable. So I filed a dispute with my credit card company for this charge. When the credit card company did the investigation with the hotel, they deliberately skipped the fact that the reservation was once reinstated and insisted on their story that the booking was canceled and the amount is nonrefundable. As a frequent traveler having stayed at many hotels around the world, I've never seen any hotel so ridiculous, with zero customer service. I wish I had never dealt with them, and I have to honestly suggest, AVOID THIS HOTEL!!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank plifriend
Gabrielle K, General Manager at ACME Hotel Company Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2014

Dear plifriend,

Thank you and I wanted to acknowledge your review and extend my public apologies. After looking closely into this matter with both TravelZoo and yourself, I’m glad we were able to get this fully resolved.

Jim Harness, General Manager, ACME Hotel Company

Reviewed 2 September 2014

Fun place to stay. We loved the morning drop-and-go coffee/tea delivered to the room. Details were well though out. Entrance was a little hard to find initially, and the garage is not actually part of the hotel. Not a big deal, just something to be aware of.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thanks, DarrenAndShannon, for such a great review! I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. It's great to hear that you had fun with your ACME experience. I hope we can look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 2 September 2014

My husband and I have stayed at the ACME about 5 times in the past year and a half. The best thing about the ACME Hotel is the location. You are steps away from the red line station. Jewell-Osco is located across the street, which is great for picking up groceries or other necessities. The Weber Grill is right next door, and you absolutely MUST eat a meal here. It's to die for. Michigan Avenue is a few blocks away. Perfect location!

Parking is located in a self-park garage next to the hotel. There is a bit of walk down the street and around the corner to reach the elevator, but it's not a big deal. Plus, you don't have to pay for a valet.

The staff is very friendly and nice. They go out of their way to help you. We ran into an issue with the air-conditioning unit in our room. The thermostat was showing 65 degrees, but the temperature was actually 78 degrees. The fan in the room was working, but the air conditioner was not. A maintenance man came to our room at 10:00 the first night and looked at it, but he could not fix the problem. Another maintenance man came at 1:00 on the afternoon of the second day, and he fixed the issue. The air conditioner worked fine after that. It was pretty warm in our room on the first night, and my husband was very uncomfortable. To compensate for our troubles, the hotel comped our parking, which was nice of them. We will definitely stay here again. Extra points go to Captain Carl, the concierge. He is awesome!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Thanks, Babs B, for the great review. I'm so glad that you and your husband enjoyed your stay with us and that you keep coming back for more! It's great to hear that our staff were so responsive to your needs during your last stay. Thanks you for your feedback and for your compliment on Captain Karl! I'll be sure to pass on your comments. Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 1 September 2014

The hotel's motto is "Do your thing" and this shows in every detail.
Rooms are small but beautiful designed, high tech available in complimentary basis. I mean by this, real high speed internet (100 MB), cables to charge and connect your devices to the big LED screen, well sized security box. Decently priced minifridge, air conditioned, fantastic bed and linen and decor details for the modern traveler.
Door rooms have a small blackboard where you can chalk write any message to fellow travelers, friends, family or the cleaning personnel. Bath products are high quality. An relative to room size, bathrooms are big and comfortable. My only complaint would be the smallish shower, no curtain or door which means low pressure in the water and cold a/c messing with a relaxing shower.
The hotel has a bakery next to the front desk and one of the best gimmicks (a god send really) ever. They would send complimentary great coffee in a thermos, conveniently packed in a brown paper bag at and agreed upon time. Every morning you`ll hear a knock on the door, you`ll open it to find a brown paper bag with delicious smelling coffee (if you don't like coffee I`m sorry for you). No need even to tip, their system is knock-drop.
The bakery allows the hotel to add a sweet donut or pasty breakfast with your coffee. A time saver. If you prefer something on the bigger side, and their deli sandwiches are not enough, the hotel is in a spot with walking distance to many great restaurants, organic markets, cafes, bars, and so fort.
Service is friendly and the decor is cleverly designed for anybody born after 1965.
Deep into the lobby you'll find a fashionable cocktail bar (we didn't try it but it was lively every night we stayed).
If I had to muster two complaints for this hotel, they would be: lack of closets in rooms. Their solution is fine if you stay two nights, for longer stays both luggage and your own clothing will start piling up. Second: its a noisy hotel. Every night we had to call to ask for a party to be silenced. The only night we didn't, the elevator alarm malfunctioned and kept ringing for an hour at 4:00 am.
Maybe it was the season. Nevermind, everything else is excellent.
Probably one of the best qualities for ACME is its location. Half a block from the L-underground train, half a block from Starbucks, two blocks from Michigan Ave stores (if you're into shopping), 15 minutes away from the Art Institute (if you walk and take the train), three or four blocks from the river. Safe streets where you can walk even deep at night. I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Chicago (if I don't bring my kids). This is not a family, child welcoming hotel.

Room Tip: Far from elevators and as high up as possible to avoid street noise and cocktail bar noise.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank R_Garcia_Mainou
Gabrielle K, Front Office Manager at ACME Hotel Company Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2014

Hi, R_Garcia_Mainou!

Thanks for the great review! I'm so glad that you loved your ACME experience. It's great to hear all of your comments about the hotel and staff. I genuinely hope we can look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 1 September 2014

We really loved this hotel. Everything was clean and modern and hip and so original. Service was great. Only bad thing was the parking, it's in a public garage and THERE IS NOT ACCESS TO THE GARAGE FROM THE HOTEL AND YOU HAVE TO WALK AROUND THE BLOCK TO GET TO THE GARAGE ELVATOR. Thats the only bad thing about this hotel. If you go, get the window suite, it's worth it.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Buchan201
Gabrielle K, Front Office Manager at ACME Hotel Company Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2014

Thanks, Buchan201, for your feedback. It's great to hear that you loved the hotel and enjoyed your ACME experience. I'm glad we were able to provide great service during your stay. We hope to see you again soon!