“Excellent Location!”

Ranked #63 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Ottawa
“Excellent Location!”
Reviewed 20 August 2012

We did not get the great price deal that some reviewers got for this hotel, but I am still very happy with the accommodation. The location is definitely the best part. The front faces the Chicago River, and some of the best downtown views. It is almost at the beginning of the Magnificent Mile shopping area, and if you walk a few blocks in the other direction on Michigan Avenue, you are in Millennium Park. We took the train from the airport, and it was only a few blocks walk to the hotel. It is a pleasant 20 minute walk to Navy Pier, and we walked to “The Loop” several times as well. If you are a tourist interested in the Chicago Trolley Hop on Hop off tour, the number 2 stop is right across the street. I don’t think you could get more “Tourist” central if you tried! The room was small, but had everything we needed. It must have been recently renovated, because everything had a new modern look to it. The bed and pillows were very comfortable. There was a coffee machine, and a blow dryer. You had the option of helping yourself to extra pillows, blankets, ironing board and iron and extra coffee supplies from a central cupboard on another floor. The room was cleaned well every day. Our view was of the back of the building, and I think river views are very limited, but we did not spend too much time in the room anyway. We did not talk to any of the staff, as it is mostly self-check in and out, but they were available if needed. The hotel restaurant patio is at the front of the building, with nice views. We ate there twice, and both times the food was good. Just down the street is “The Corner Bakery”, where we ate most of our breakfasts – great food! Around the corner from here are a few Mexican restaurants, and further down on the same block is Walgreen’s.

Room Tip: The bigger rooms may have a better view.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank kodak1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Korean first
Moline, Illinois
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Loved the hotel! Couldn't beat the location. Being that I am former resident of downtown Chicago, I knew the area like the back of my hand!! Had a standard room which was sufficient for one person. I booked a couple of months ago and got a fantastic rate for a Club-sized room. But for health reasons, I needed a small refrigerator in my room and would have paid extra for one being provided in the room but the hotel upgraded me to a Standard room WITHOUT an increase of the rate I booked at. When checking out, got my receipt, said "Paid in Full" and everything was in order - exactly what I budgeted for the room!! HOWEVER, when arriving home, checked my bank balance and I was CHARGED $83 MORE than what my receipt said!!!!! I immediately emailed Guest Services and so far I have not heard back (they are usually very prompt in responding to your emails). I had IN WRITING confirmation that the room rate would NOT change even though I was upgraded to the next room size. $83 may not eem like a lot of money, but I am a senior citizen on a fixed income and that amount of money IS important to me. Bottom Line: I MIGHT recommend the hotel BUT.....IF they do not rectify this situation, I will come back and definitely not recommend it. Just to be sure - when arriving home- check your credit card or bank account (if you used a debit card) to MAKE SURE you were NOT OVERCHARGED!!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Hyderabad, India
Reviewed 15 August 2012

I think the biggest selling point of this hotel is its location - right across the river walk and I think it looks magnificent. The rooms and service has been great!

It is also very easy to commute from this place too and all the other tourist places are very near.

• Stayed July 2012
Reviewed 12 August 2012

Aside from our room not being ready on time and the rooms being fairly small and the water pressure being low, this place is great. We walked everywhere from The Magnificent Mile, to Willis Tower to Millenium Park and all points in between. We stayed in the two room suite and it was again small but the five of us were comfortable.

Room Tip: If you want a huge room, go somewhere else but how much time do you plan on being in the room?
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 30 July 2012

We stayed with another couple at this hotel for a four day jam packed sight-seeing weekend. The room was large and had a kitchenette and living room area with flat screen t.v.'s in both bedroom's as well as in the living room. We booked the room online and there were no hidden or additional fees. The only complaint I have is that it says "2bedroom suite", however it is not actually a separate 2 bedroom suite with completely separated bedrooms. It does have two separate bathrooms but the bedrooms are on opposite sides of the suite with the living room and kitchenette separating the two. Great room for a great price and fit 4 people very comfortably. Perfect location that was close to everything and the staff was great. The host at the hotel restaurant was rude but that didn't ruin our stay. I would recommend this hotel and definitely stay here a again!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank KAtieanne77
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 26 July 2012

River Hotel is first and foremost - a great value relative to its location in the middle of Chicago's North Michigan Avenue/North State Street areas. It's close to everything. The rooms are definitely Courtyard quality. Serviceable and clean with fair amenities including free bottled water and WiFi. Service staff were friendly on our trip but as a former Chicagoan - I never asked them to find me a place to eat or attraction to see. The 2nd Floor resident's lounge is great as is the health facilities. For the price - it's fabulous along as one calibrates expectations accordingly. As in most large cities, parking is expensive and not efficient! Use the great public transportation systems in the city or walk to a number of great restaurants or attractions. Also, the restaurant in the lobby is quite serviceable for a quick bite.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 23 July 2012

This Hotel location is great but this is the only good point, It is at most 3 stars , not 4 stars. They provided bad service and using any oportunity to get more money.
This was to say the least the most dissapointing hotel room I have EVER seen. It was so small , no room at all in the tiny bathroom and stand up shower only.The end of the bed was less than 12 incehes from the wall so to get to the tv you had to scoot sideways to go to that side of the room. It is tiny Hotel no facilities, stay away.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business