“"Somewhere to sleep" turned sanctuary...”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of River Hotel

River Hotel
Ranked #63 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
New York City, New York
“"Somewhere to sleep" turned sanctuary...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

My trip to Chicago started out as personal with a small bit of business. As such I made all my own travel arrangements and really only needed "somewhere to sleep" as I had a jam packed itinerary. The only requirement was that I be downtown. I booked this hotel and was a tad skeptical as the rate was super affordable compared to the other downtown hotels. Long story short I booked it and didn't look back. I arrived Thursday afternoon and check-in was a breeze. I reserved the "small room, w/full size bed" so walking in I really didn't know what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised. The room is exactly what they described, it is small, but don't let that deter you. It has everything you would have in a big room just compact size. (e.g. 12 inch tv, stand up shower, bathroom separates by sliding door etc) And for the rate you will not find a better deal. It's also super convenient and
located only blocks away from State street and Mag Mile for shopping. I also was in town for the annual taste and that was just a short walk to Millennium Park. It's close to all the trains so if you're coming from the airport, for $5 you can take any of the trains down to the Loop. There's a plethora of bars and restaurants right over there including one in the hotel. I didn't eat there so I can't say how it is, but it was packed every time I left so I imagine it was good. One night after a long day I canceled my evening plans and vegetated in my room. In all of it's cozy glory it became my sanctuary. So in summary, I can't wait
to stay here again. Excellent visit!

Stayed July 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Brooklyn, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

I booked a room for the weekend of July 25th and literally had to cancel it minutes later because of an extremely rude phone conversation with the, supposed, Guest Services Manager (Pedro G., though I doubt that was his name) . This imbecile (and I'm mean that in the most complimentary way) refused to stop over talking . Refused to transfer me to his superior, while also refusing even a minor attempt at being accommodating to my request . If this is the quality of service Club Quarters/River Hotel provides over the phone I can only imagine how unbearable my stay would've been . I'm a Chicago native/NYC transplant ... paying $200+ a night for an oversized closet is nothing new to me BUT a complete lack of service etiquette not to mention being unnecessarily rude is absolutely UNacceptable . I mean seriously .

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chiq C
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

As we was on the way to the hotel we got lost cause their doing construction. Right next to it.i called the hotel they was pleasant. And nice the front desk lady name Tanya she was a sweetheart. We finally got to the hotel and they gave us a room on the 19th floor. What a view the room was nice and clean the service was awesome. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. And I would use them again.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

We made a last minute decision to stay at this hotel. It was a new place for us so we are always skeptical. While the room wasn't huge it was nicely appointed and clean. We stayed in a Superior King room "with kitchenette" - not exactly what you would characterize as "kitchenette" in our experience but the website states that some rooms have more extensive facilities than others. We only had a microwave and fridge which was fine for our 1-night stay. The free bottled water feature is also a nice offering.

More notable than the room was the service. The front desk personnel, especially Roman, provided outstanding service. I hope they recognize him for going the extra mile which I noted in his interactions with us and others. We will definitely stay here again. Thanks Roman for making sure we had a nice stay!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

When looking for a downtown hotel for a 3 night family vacation (2 adults, 2 children) in Chicago my wife found a good deal online for the River Hotel and booked the One Room Suite w/ Kitchenette.

The room was contemporary, clean, and comfortable and made a great home base for us as we explored what the Loop has to offer. The kids used the pull-out mattress on the couch and the king size bed was very comfortable. The size of the room fit our needs just fine. The kitchenette was really a surprise. I was expecting a fridge and a sink but there was also a small range top, a convection microwave, and cabinets with dishes, glasses, flatware, pots and pans, and even a corkscrew. Although we didn't use most of this it was nice to know it was there. Since we brought electronic devices galore, it was great to find plenty of outlets to charge (including USB ports). My only quasi-complaint is that the tv was a bit smallish for the space but we really didn't spend much time watching it anyway. A few books on the shelf was a very nice touch and we actually read a couple of them.

The service was outstanding. Every question I asked at the desk, in the lobby, or on the phone was answered with courtesy and then some. Every employee we met was friendly and helpful. Our requests for extra towels, shampoo, etc. saw immediate responses. We felt valued and well cared for.

One thing I really liked about the River Hotel was its size. It shares the property with Club Quarters but it creates the feeling that you are in a small hotel. Each floor only has about a dozen rooms so there aren't long, noisy hallways filled with people coming and going all night. I also liked how each floor had a closet where I could find an iron, ironing board, extra pillows, and more coffee (though I had to search a few different floors for this). The filtered water stations near the elevators were also a nice touch.

The location of this hotel was perfect. Only one block west of Michigan Avenue it places you right in the center of the shopping and sights of downtown Chicago. We parked the car in the System Parking garage about a block away and used public transportation throughout our stay (way cheaper since there are not in and out privileges at the garage). The Lake "L" Red Line stop is a short 2-3 block walk and buses are also nearby. Using these, we were able to easily get to ball games and the Museum of Science of Industry. For everything else (Navy Pier, John Hancock Observatory, Field Museum, Art Institute, Millennium Park, restaurants) we were able to walk without any problem. The location right on the river provides a great view of some of Chicago's remarkable architecture as well.

The next time we are looking to stay in downtown Chicago we will look to the River Hotel once again if the price is right. And even if it isn't as great a deal as we received this visit we may stay there anyway because we feel we really found a gem.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank TheKraken71
Hamilton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

I have never been to a hotel and been treated with the hospitality that the staff at River Hotel gave! When we got there we were promptly greeted by the valet who offered the option of cheaper parking. However, due to his friendliness we took valet. He also brought our bags up to our room, an extra bonus. There had been some confusion with our room, but the mixup was fixed promptly. The extremely kind gentleman in fact, gave us an upgrade to room 4101, the penthouse. We have been to this hotel 3 years in a row and every stay is a different, varied, and more excellent than the last stay. I am extremely impressed with the friendliness and professionalism of the staff here at River Hotel. The location was the main reason we came here the first time, but the experience at this particular hotel is reason we keep coming back!

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Carlywilliams10
Fredericksburg, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

Great hotel for business traveler...room layout is great! Like charger station on night stand, ac controls at night stand, desk area, free,. Wifi, free water bottles, etc...not to mention the view! Room smaller in size, but layout makes it feel much larger! Staff is exceptional! Needless to say, my new favorite in Chicago!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business