“Wow what a great experience!”
Review of River Hotel

River Hotel
Ranked #65 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
USA
“Wow what a great experience!”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We made reservations at the River Hotel for our first visit in June.
We had been to Chicago for nearly 40 years attending an industry show and decided it was time for a change from our two previous favorite hotels.
We were not prepared for the excellent care extended to us by the hotel personnel from our very friendly and efficient check in to our check out 5 days later.
We had requested a river view room and couldn't have been happier with the superb view. The furnishings were quite nice and the room was extremely quiet. We really liked having a bottled water dispenser, feee, on our floor. The staff responded quickly to any requests and always in a friendly manner.
We have already decided that this well located gem will be our new home when visiting Chicago on future trips.

Room Tip: Room 803 for the view
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank FunTraveler25

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Korean first
The Villages, Florida
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 4 nights. Check in was great, thanks to Tania who was very helpful. Used the valet parking throughout stay and enjoyed the perfect location for the parks, Michigan ave shopping and walking. We took the architectural boat tour, that was practically outside our front door. Can't beat the window views.

Stayed July 2014
New York City, New York
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

My trip to Chicago started out as personal with a small bit of business. As such I made all my own travel arrangements and really only needed "somewhere to sleep" as I had a jam packed itinerary. The only requirement was that I be downtown. I booked this hotel and was a tad skeptical as the rate was super affordable compared to the other downtown hotels. Long story short I booked it and didn't look back. I arrived Thursday afternoon and check-in was a breeze. I reserved the "small room, w/full size bed" so walking in I really didn't know what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised. The room is exactly what they described, it is small, but don't let that deter you. It has everything you would have in a big room just compact size. (e.g. 12 inch tv, stand up shower, bathroom separates by sliding door etc) And for the rate you will not find a better deal. It's also super convenient and
located only blocks away from State street and Mag Mile for shopping. I also was in town for the annual taste and that was just a short walk to Millennium Park. It's close to all the trains so if you're coming from the airport, for $5 you can take any of the trains down to the Loop. There's a plethora of bars and restaurants right over there including one in the hotel. I didn't eat there so I can't say how it is, but it was packed every time I left so I imagine it was good. One night after a long day I canceled my evening plans and vegetated in my room. In all of it's cozy glory it became my sanctuary. So in summary, I can't wait
to stay here again. Excellent visit!

Stayed July 2014
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

I booked a room for the weekend of July 25th and literally had to cancel it minutes later because of an extremely rude phone conversation with the, supposed, Guest Services Manager (Pedro G., though I doubt that was his name) . This imbecile (and I'm mean that in the most complimentary way) refused to stop over talking . Refused to transfer me to his superior, while also refusing even a minor attempt at being accommodating to my request . If this is the quality of service Club Quarters/River Hotel provides over the phone I can only imagine how unbearable my stay would've been . I'm a Chicago native/NYC transplant ... paying $200+ a night for an oversized closet is nothing new to me BUT a complete lack of service etiquette not to mention being unnecessarily rude is absolutely UNacceptable . I mean seriously .

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chiq C
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

As we was on the way to the hotel we got lost cause their doing construction. Right next to it.i called the hotel they was pleasant. And nice the front desk lady name Tanya she was a sweetheart. We finally got to the hotel and they gave us a room on the 19th floor. What a view the room was nice and clean the service was awesome. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. And I would use them again.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Chicago
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We made a last minute decision to stay at this hotel. It was a new place for us so we are always skeptical. While the room wasn't huge it was nicely appointed and clean. We stayed in a Superior King room "with kitchenette" - not exactly what you would characterize as "kitchenette" in our experience but the website states that some rooms have more extensive facilities than others. We only had a microwave and fridge which was fine for our 1-night stay. The free bottled water feature is also a nice offering.

More notable than the room was the service. The front desk personnel, especially Roman, provided outstanding service. I hope they recognize him for going the extra mile which I noted in his interactions with us and others. We will definitely stay here again. Thanks Roman for making sure we had a nice stay!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 4 July 2014

When looking for a downtown hotel for a 3 night family vacation (2 adults, 2 children) in Chicago my wife found a good deal online for the River Hotel and booked the One Room Suite w/ Kitchenette.

The room was contemporary, clean, and comfortable and made a great home base for us as we explored what the Loop has to offer. The kids used the pull-out mattress on the couch and the king size bed was very comfortable. The size of the room fit our needs just fine. The kitchenette was really a surprise. I was expecting a fridge and a sink but there was also a small range top, a convection microwave, and cabinets with dishes, glasses, flatware, pots and pans, and even a corkscrew. Although we didn't use most of this it was nice to know it was there. Since we brought electronic devices galore, it was great to find plenty of outlets to charge (including USB ports). My only quasi-complaint is that the tv was a bit smallish for the space but we really didn't spend much time watching it anyway. A few books on the shelf was a very nice touch and we actually read a couple of them.

The service was outstanding. Every question I asked at the desk, in the lobby, or on the phone was answered with courtesy and then some. Every employee we met was friendly and helpful. Our requests for extra towels, shampoo, etc. saw immediate responses. We felt valued and well cared for.

One thing I really liked about the River Hotel was its size. It shares the property with Club Quarters but it creates the feeling that you are in a small hotel. Each floor only has about a dozen rooms so there aren't long, noisy hallways filled with people coming and going all night. I also liked how each floor had a closet where I could find an iron, ironing board, extra pillows, and more coffee (though I had to search a few different floors for this). The filtered water stations near the elevators were also a nice touch.

The location of this hotel was perfect. Only one block west of Michigan Avenue it places you right in the center of the shopping and sights of downtown Chicago. We parked the car in the System Parking garage about a block away and used public transportation throughout our stay (way cheaper since there are not in and out privileges at the garage). The Lake "L" Red Line stop is a short 2-3 block walk and buses are also nearby. Using these, we were able to easily get to ball games and the Museum of Science of Industry. For everything else (Navy Pier, John Hancock Observatory, Field Museum, Art Institute, Millennium Park, restaurants) we were able to walk without any problem. The location right on the river provides a great view of some of Chicago's remarkable architecture as well.

The next time we are looking to stay in downtown Chicago we will look to the River Hotel once again if the price is right. And even if it isn't as great a deal as we received this visit we may stay there anyway because we feel we really found a gem.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family