“Astonishingly large and lovely room in downtown Chicago”
Review of River Hotel

River Hotel
Ranked #73 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 13 June 2010

I travelled to Chicago to meet my parents who were visiting from overseas. A triple room had been booked in the Club Quarters hotel. I was the first to arrive and the room was a small room with a double bed and a sofa bed. I had been told at reception that we could upgrade to a larger suite for an additional $20 a night. We decided to upgrade and we were given a room in the River Hotel portion of the hotel. The room was phenomenal. It cost $140 a night and it was like a small, open-plan apartment. It had a fully equiped kitchenette and dining area and on either end of the suite, there were bedrooms, one with a king size bed and one with a queen. There were two bathrooms and there was also a sitting area with a television although this was not really necessary as both bedrooms had televisions also. We were so completely impressed with the hotel, I would whole-heartedly recommend it. It's very well located on the Magnificent mile right across from stop 2 on the trolley tour and the boarding area for the river cruises. The room was so comfortable and lovely and while I'm not sure if the cost of the upgrade to a suite was a special offer or not, it was definitely well worth the additional $20.

• Stayed: May 2010
Write a ReviewReviews (1,122)

Reviewed 30 May 2010

We took a girls' trip to Chicago and stayed at the River Hotel for three nights. I booked the hotel four months prior to our stay..................we were supposed to get a two bedroom suite (about $225/night) and three days before leaving, I received an email stating that the hotel had made a mistake, and that room was actually not available on the first night of our stay, but that they could give us two single rooms, and would only charge us $87 for that night for both of those rooms. Then we would be able to choose if we wanted to move into the suite for the next two nights or if we wanted to stay in the single rooms. Initially I was very upset..............they should have at least called to tell me this information instead of merely emailing. We arrived at the hotel around noon, and they provided a safe place for us to leave our luggage until our room was ready. Around 3, we were able to check into the single rooms, and we were pleasantly surprised. Very clean and modern. When all was said and done, we just decided to stay in these rooms, because there was not a thing in the world wrong with them. Plus, it would save us mega $$$. They ended up charging us $87 per room per night, and the first night, we only had to pay for one room, as a way to compensate for their mistake.

Staff at front desk were extremely helpful and cordial. Check in and check out were a breeze. Rooms were kept clean. Location was awesome. Felt very safe.

For all of you complaining about the rooms being small, the beds being short, the staff not being helpful enough---------------you didn't pay Trump Tower prices, why expect Trump Tower amenities/service??

• Stayed: May 2010
Reviewed 26 May 2010

This is a really great find, in a superb location. The rooms although small are beautifully designed, comfortably and stylishly equipped with just about everything you could want, (except perhaps a fridge). The bathrooms, equally compact, do offer plenty of shelf space, make up mirrors, hairdryers and Gilchrist and Soames toiletries. A thoughtful touch in the rooms is a selection of reading matter (fiction, non fiction, personal development and reference in my room) and I very much appreciate the provision of water, high speed internet and incidentals like washing powder in the guest laundry. There are closets on each floor stocked with extra pillows, blankets, irons, ironing boards, milk, sugar etc so that guests can help themselves to what they need, whenever they want it. I stayed here on business (and it is particularly suited to the needs of the business traveller), but would happily return to this hotel for a holiday.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 May 2010

I booked this hotel a few months ago as a place to stay for national train day. However things came up and i decided to go with another hotel. I been trying to cancell for a couple months by email but got no reponse. when i called to cancell they HUNG UP ON ME!!! by the time i decided to call i had sense lost the email that had the reservation number on it. i had it when i was emailing them a dozen times. SO when i called i said " I made a reservation online a couple months ago,I need to cancel but i lost the number" there was no response on the other end they had hung up on me.they could have asked for my last name last 4 digits of my SS number and last 4 numbers of the card used to confirm who i am but they chose to hang up. I never called back cause why i should i keep calling a place that hangs up when you call. they don't respond to emails and you can't cancel online that should have been a red flag to me. I will dispute this charge.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 April 2010

I usually stay here when I am in Chicago for business. The rooms are small but comfortable and clean. The bathroom is a extremely small but updated. This hotel is in a great location, walking distance to the magnificent mile. Great value for the location.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 March 2010

If you want 5 star luxury then go pay the 5 star luxury prices. If you want something reasonable in the heart of downtown then this is for you! We were in walking distance to just about everything despite the weather (3/19/10-3/21/10)...restaurants, bars, theatres, shopping. Taxis were always readily available if needed for further away tourist type stuff and would definitely recommend you use them or other public transport as you will pay and arm & a leg to park pretty much everywhere. Yes, the rooms are on the smaller side and there is no iron in the room, but what a GREAT use of space, modern ammenities and the 'community closet' is well equipped with the iron and ironing board. If something was needed that was not in the closet, we called the front desk and received it with in 5-10 minutes if that long. They do start with the minimum...if you're staying two to a room then you get two pillows, two towels, etc. However, if you need anything the staff is on it. The staff was VERY knowledgeable and VERY helpful with everything we needed and wanted. Really can't say enough about the staff...GREAT JOB TO YOU ALL!! Overall, we definitely got what we paid for and beyond. We will definitely be staying here again on future visits to the Windy City!!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 March 2010

Booked the hotel online because of the availability of a '2 bedroom suite'. It turns out that the 2 bedroom suite had NO privacy or doors for the 'bedrooms.' When I called to complain, the hotel staff told me their add nver guaranteed a door for the bedrooms. Despite trying to cancel within 2 hours of booking the reservation in an off season during the middle of the week, Hotel management refused to give me a refund and charged me for a full night stay. Make sure you get your reservation right, because once they get your money they won't let go!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business