“Great Buzz - very hip Chicago!”

Hotel Lincoln, a Joie de Vivre Hotel
Ranked #68 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Had a great stay. Great location in Lincoln Park. Close to the zoo the parks the beach and everything. Will definitely stay here again!! :-)

Coffee shop downstairs is awesome. Great to see dogs as well

• Stayed: August 2014
Write a ReviewReviews (2,373)

Reviewed 7 August 2014

Had a most pleasant long weekend at this boutique-y hotel. Recommended by a local and it was a great pick.

The staff are super-friendly; our room was great (spacious jr. suite), with a super-comfortable bed; the wifi worked; the coffee shop, restaurant, and rooftop bar were all excellent. [The rooftop bar was, as expected, busy on a weekend summer night but there was still standing room and the tables turned over fairly quickly.] There isn't *that* much to do nearby, though. The Old Town area is worth a stroll, but taxis are frequent to go elsewhere.

Main con: the elevators were s-l-o-w. Get a low floor and walk the stairs!

Oh and the decor was lovely - lots of little Chicago touches.

Would happily stay here again on a future trip.

Room Tip: Get a low floor if you don't want to wait for slow elevators.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Great staff. Small rooms, but we were on the go most of the day anyway. Charming decor, clean. Front desk staff was wonderful. Had to ask for replenished coffee and condiments for the room 2/4 days. roof top bar and deli are great. Walking distance to Zoo and 2 mile walk to downtown. Valet parking expensive but energetic. right across from lakeshore and the park. Wonderful farmers market on wednesdays just across the street. Would definitely recommend and will stay there again when in town,

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 August 2014

What a wonderful gem of a hotel in Lincoln Park. Chicago is my home town, and this place was a block away from where I had an apartment, so expectations were perhaps too high, with choices abounding downtown with the Park Hyatt, Omni, Langham, Ritz, Marriott, and so many others as tempting choices, but they are all downtown, without the real vibe of Chicago. Check in was a breeze, with an upgraded room given upon request. Rooftop J. Parker bar with a view of Lincoln Park and the Lake was cool, with service very attentive. Elaine's coffee shop adjacent the lobby was a must stop every day, with great latte and pleasant staff. Work out room was on the small side, but adequate. Terrific market on Sat a.m. outside the door, and stroll to Lincoln Park zoo. Free bikes outside for two hour rental were great for a superb, long ride along the lake toward Navy Pier and Wrigley Building. Convenient walk to great restaurants, flower shops, cigar store, wine shop, and breakfast joints that are some of the best in the city. Add that to running into singers and band members from Lollapalooza for my older kids, and you have the makings of a fabulous long weekend in Chicago. Get out of the ordinary, step into the trendy and neighborhood charm of Hotel Lincoln.

Room Tip: Make sure to get a lake or park view.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank kquinn714
Reviewed 5 August 2014

The Lincoln Hotel is located adjacent to Lincoln Park, the Lincoln Park Zoo and a short walk from the Old Town section of Chicago. This is the fourth or fifth time I have stayed there. The staff is very friendly and very responsive. The hotel is old and some of the decorating seems a bit dated. However, the rooms are clean and spacious and everything works. One of the charms of the hotel is the eclectic mix of guests. There are many many people in the 20s and 30s and many that are 70 and 80 years of age and everything in between, There are lots of couples, lots of singles and occasionally families. The coffee shop serves a good cup of coffee and some interesting dishes. It is overpriced, but then it is located in a hotel ($2.75 for a small cup of coffee). The accommodations are slightly less expensive than comparable rooms in the gold coast, loop and magnificent mile sections of Chicago. It is about a mile or two from those locations. That is also its attraction as it is not located in the hub bub of downtown. Some of the accommodations offered at the the hotel include suites with two full baths. That's what I book, when I stay there.There is also a roof top bar that offers a great view of Lake Michigan and is a fun spot to hang out. There is a restaurant on the street level. I have only had breakfast there, but it was excellent- not your standard eggs and bacon.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2014

The service was the best of any hotel we have ever stayed in. The staff and management were truly committed to providing a great experience for our whole family from greeting us and asking how our trip is going to making recommendations for places, to visit, eat, see, etc. This blows away our experiences at "big chain" hotels! I have several examples of how the staff went out of their way for our enjoyment. For example, you can borrow (for free) bikes and helmets from the hotel (awesome!) and one day there were only two helmets left - one was pink with flowers and looked like a bonnet. My 11 year old son looked at me with a, "NO WAY! Dad" look because I grabbed the regular black helmet for myself (I certainly wasn't going to wear the pink one. We thought we were going to have to forego the experience. At the front desk was, let's call her Sarah, and she offered her own *personal* bike helmet for my son to use! Who does that at a "chain hotel?" Another example, I had an "self-inflicted billing issue" and another hotel representative, we'll call him Fabien, took care of it right away. He treated us with dignity and respect and that meant everything. There are even more examples I could think of that involve housekeeping and the room itself, etc.

The location for the hotel was perfect too. Across from the park, within walking distance of the zoo, and near Lake Michigan! 5 or so miles from downtown and all the attractions we wanted to visit (Navy Pier, downtown, museums, dining, etc.). You could walk in either direction and find great neighborhoods with shops, restaurants, grocery store, etc.

On our second day there, my 9 year old asked me if we would ever come back to Chicago (his first time) and I said I wasn't sure. He looked up as me as we were walking in the park and asked, "If we ever come back to Chicago, can we stay in this hotel?". I simply replied, "We sure will."

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the Lincoln Park Zoo and Lake Michigan - totally worth it.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank James M
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I currently live in Lincoln Park neighborhood, but was in a wedding happening across the street from the hotel and decided to stay here rather than heading back to my apartment. I read the other reviews calling the room tiny and small, my double-double was anything but small - in fact I was pleasantly surprised with the size. The bathroom was a little small, but I've had a worse experience in the Loop.

The hotel is really cool and funky, the lobby and coffee bar have a nice vibe. The staff was friendly and helpful. I will admit that $50/day for valet parking is a little extreme considering street parking (if you can find it) is free. My only other compliant is that the elevators are slow and overworked. The hotel should really consider adding a freight elevator because I constantly was ending up in the basement with staff.

All in all, I would definitely put guests up at this hotel when my apartment fills up.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple