“Great Location - Small, But Comfy Rooms - Weird Water Situation”

Hotel Lincoln, a Joie de Vivre Hotel
Ranked #37 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Natick
“Great Location - Small, But Comfy Rooms - Weird Water Situation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

Hotel Lincoln is in a great location - easy to find, surrounded by plenty of restaurants, Second City is a block away and there is lots of public transportation that's easily accessible. The rooms were funky, in a good way, with kind of wacky themed decorating. The "J Parker" rooftop bar is really wonderful with great views and tasty cocktails. It can get dicey trying to get a table and chairs, as when it's crowded, guests are pretty aggressive about that, but the view, oh yes, the view makes it worth it! I'd have given this property an EXCELLENT rating, but one extremely weird thing about our room: we only had hot (and I mean HOT!) water. Hot water from the sink, the shower (marine show only - get wet, turn off the hot water, soap up, rinse quickly) and super weird, hot water in the toilet. Hmmm..yes, think about that for a minute. Hot water in the toilet! I left a day before my husband and when I mentioned it to the desk clerk when I was leaving, she said she'd never heard that before, and kind of gave me "that" look. The very very very nice doorman who hailed me a cab said he has heard that complaint many times, so that was discouraging, but by the time I got to O'Hare, the front desk had already called up to my husband and offered to take $100.00 off of the room rate. An acceptable solution, quickly handled, but really, what's the deal? Other than that, I'd stay there again!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank deniseg12345

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (553)
  • Turkish first
San Antonio, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

The lobby and outside decor were pretty nice but as soon as you get to the elevator it's all down hill after that. The elevator was extremely slow. It took my son and I over 10 minutes to get on the elevator and make it to the 4th floor.

I could not believe how small the room was not to mention the match box for a bathroom. The work desk is barely large enough to hold a standard lap top but no where for a notepad. The TV was prob 21" at best.

Bathroom - no door to start with. They use some sliding door you can see thru. You can't even sit on the toilet with out the metal toliet roll casing gouging into your left leg! I had to literally rotate 45 degrees to my right so I could sit on the seat. I'm only 5"11 and 180 lbs. Our stay felt more like a two night vacation at the local barracks.

Positive side - staff was friendly and the restaurant downstairs with the patio had great breakfast.

Unfortunately I will not be returning. The lobby and pictures do a good job selling the hotel to first timers but once you give them your credit card and make your way to the elevator be prepared for a massive bait and switch.

Stayed August 2014
new york, new york
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

I stayed here when visiting my son for a weekend. The hotel has a funky, hip vibe and I agree with other reviewers that the staff were top-notch and friendly. Our room was small (we had a "junior suite") but it had all the amenities including two bathrooms and a great view of Lincoln Park. The neighborhood is terrific to explore and if you want to get away from upscale hotel restaurant dining, I highly recommend "Nookies", located on the street behind the hotel. We had Sunday brunch there and it was delicious, fresh food and good-sized portions. The hotel's coffee shop was a great plus too -- good coffee and tasty treats. My only suggestion/complaint is this: while the roof deck bar offers an awesome view and would be a great place for a cocktail, the line to gain access was so long that it is not a place where you can plan to meet someone unless you are prepared to stand in the lobby for quite a long time. I really think people staying at the hotel should be offered priority by a reservation system just for guests. Those not staying can do the wait. We tried to get in a few times and couldn't - basically we got to see it, that's all. The crowd waiting to gain access fills the lobby which isn't awful but it's not great either. I will stay there again because of the location and the friendly vibe.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Cincinnati
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Lincoln for 4 nights. We loved the location--in fact I would not want to stay near Michigan Avenue ever again--and enjoyed the coffee shop, restaurant, and rooftop bar.

However, if the weather had been bad (we were lucky and had glorious days) and we had spent more time in our room, the experience at the Lincoln would have been appreciably more unpleasant. We had the standard double which provides barely enough room to clear the bed and nowhere to sit but at the desk or on the bed. Access to the no-door closet was largely blocked by the coffee set-up. If bending and reaching is a problem for you, don't put your shoes in there! The major problem was the bathroom. The sink is tiny, placed very low, and a shelf is positioned so that you can hit your head if you're not careful bending over the sink. Water invariably splashed all over the floor. In addition, the tub is very deep with no handrails since all is designed for those who don't need any help getting up! The rate was too expensive for the quality of the room.

The location in Lincoln Park across from the nature walk is unbeatable. The staff is friendly. If a bustling lobby scene is your thing, this is your kind of place. Dogs, kids, runners, bikers. But don't think you'll get an elevator any time soon!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank MaudeCincinnati
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

The Hotel Lincoln is a fantastic update of the old Days Inn in Lincoln Park. The location is the fantastic - right across from Lincoln Park with easy access to the Gold Coast, Old Town and Lincoln Park neighborhoods. The staff were friendly and helpful. I enjoyed the coffee shop on the ground floor, although it would be great if they were open a bit later. The view from rooftop bar was a highlight of my stay, although it was incredibly crowded and difficult to get a table or the attention of the waitstaff. The rooms are small and, therefore, I think the rate is a bit high for the space; however, I do recommend this hotel and would stay there again.

Room Tip: Although Clark Street can be a little loud, try to get a room in the front of the hotel so you have...