“Great hotel, perfect location”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Ivy Boutique Hotel

Ivy Boutique Hotel
Ranked #86 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Toronto, Canada
“Great hotel, perfect location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

We just finished a 3 night stay at the Ivy and it was one of the better hotel experiences I've had in awhile. I got a deal for a 675 sqft king room, and it was the perfect size for my wife and 1yr old daughter with her crib being in the next room. While there's no door separating the other room , it was separate enough for us to have some personal space for my wife and I.

LOCATION - I prefer staying on the Mag Mile, and this hotel is the goldilocks of locations. Not too far south, not too far north but just right in the heart of the Mag Mile, and close to everything.

ROOM - We scored a great deal for a king room with about 675 sqft of space. There's a front area near the bathroom, then the bedroom, them the living room area with a sectional and an armchair and a full desk. One of the largest room I've had the pleasure of straying in for hotel. The bathroom has double sinks and a separate bathtub and shower. The shower is fantastic. Rain showerhead above and a hand wand as well. Lots of space foe my wife and I. The rooms were well insulated too in terms of noise, so really no need for ear plugs at night for light sleepers I like myself. Oh and there were 3 TVs in the room, including one in the bathroom!

SERVICE - I never expect too much in terms of customer service when I stay at a boutique hotel, but Ivy nevertheless impressed. Turn down service was good, and was completed more than once a day I believe, and the staff were helpful with whatever I had approached them with. Valet is about $48/day which is very reasonable given the city and the other hotels in the area. Looking back I'd opt out and save myself $15/day and park about 50 feet away at the self park.

AMENITIES - unfortunately I didn't get a chance to check out the rooftop patio which looks pretty slick in the photos. I believe there's a fitness room as well.

Overall I highly recommend this hotel. Great stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
JamesCazares, General Manager at Ivy Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Hello TH3R,
Thank you for taking time to write such a positive review for the Ivy Hotel. We take pride in our large guest rooms, and try to do little things to set our hotel/service apart from its competition. For example, our turndown service and spacious and relaxing bathrooms are just some of the things that we believe help us stand out! Also, we do not have a fitness center in-house, but we are affiliated with Anytime Fitness (open 24 hours) that is located about 4 blocks away on Michigan Ave and Wacker Dr. We appreciate you choosing our property as your hotel accommodation while visiting Chicago, and hope to see you again soon! Hopefully during your next visit you will get to relax and have a drink at the Sky Terrace! Have a great day.

General Manager – Ivy Boutique Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

Well located and comfortable hotel. Billed as 5 star, but for those who have stayed in true 5 star hotels it isn't. We had a room on the 4th floor at the back which looked straight into the aircon units of the adjacent building - luckily we didn't spend much time gazing out of the window. Rooms are a good size and the bathroom well equipped - fantastic shower, comfortable bed, etc. Some really nice touches in the room which made it special.

Room Tip: Get a room that isn't low down at the back
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Hello Maltonian1,
Thank you for your review on our hotel. We are glad you found your room to be comfortable, and that you were able to enjoy some of the amenities that we offer our guests like our rainfall shower and plush sheets and bedding. Hopefully, next time you stay with us you will be able to stay in one of our street facing rooms to give you a more pleasant view of the city. Again, thank you for taking time to write a review for the Ivy Hotel. We appreciate your support, and hope to see you again soon.

General Manager – Ivy Hotel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

I must start by saying we stayed at the hotel with our three month old baby. This is important because this hotel is definitely geared towards couples. Our baby slept in his travel bed so we had the king size bed to ourselves which was very nice. The hotel is very modern and very chic. I am guessing for those that think the rooms were strange, they must be used to "normal" hotel rooms which this is not - to us, that is what made it great! Its unique, its big, it has big windows and separate shower and tub. We were very happy with the room. The noise from the street was virtually non existent but it is true that there is some noise from the corridor outside the rooms door. However, keep in mind that there are only 5 rooms in the whole floor, so this is not really bad. Not an issue for us. The location is perfect! A couple of blocks from magnificent mile and 10 to 15 mins walk from most attractions. We walked everywhere and remember we had our three month old! Would definitely recommend if modern is your liking. Don't miss breakfast at Yolk a couple of blocks away! Real easy to get to and delicious!!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dynasys
JamesCazares, General Manager at Ivy Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Hello Dynasys,
Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to write a review for the Ivy Hotel. I know finding downtime with a 3 month old is virtually impossible, so we greatly appreciate you using your free time to help advocate for our hotel. We love hearing from our guests, especially when they have such positive things to say about our property. We try to provide modern luxury, while still making our guests feel at home and it sounds like we were able to make that happen for you while staying with us. Thank you again for your review, and we hope to see you again soon. Have a great weekend.

Geneva, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

We've been there in January.

We got a room very big, but quite disappointing. The door didn't close well, and that way we could tell precisely when our neighbours were coming in and out. The room was also full of small details, making it some kind of not harmonious; the TV was on the side of the bed, so high you won't be able to see it for long without breaking your neck. The bathroom also was somewhat "strange".

In this neighbourhood, you can easily find something better at a smaller price.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank OneAdvisedTravaller
JamesCazares, General Manager at Ivy Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Hello OneAdvisedTraveller,
Thank you for taking time to write a review for the Ivy Boutique Hotel in Chicago. I am sorry to hear that you were not 100% satisfied with your stay. We will certainly keep these tips in mind for the future and hope that one day you will stay with us again while in Chicago. Thank you again, and have a nice day.

General Manager - Ivy Boutique Hotel
Murrieta, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

We enjoyed our stay at the Ivy. The room was modern and clean and had a great bathroom (room was on the small side, and had no view). The downside was the lack of insulation in the walls. In the morning we could hear everything going on on our floor. However, the staff was friendly and recommended a fantastic restaurant, the Purple Pig. The location of the hotel was great! I enjoyed being close to Michigan Avenue and in walking distance of many attractions. Overall, it was a very good stay.

Room Tip: I don't know what would have been better, but we were on the 6th floor and it was NOISY. We coul...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
JamesCazares, General Manager at Ivy Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Hello GriffinH9,
Thank you for taking time out of your day to write a review for the Ivy Boutique Hotel. I am sorry to hear that noise from the surrounding guest’s rooms disrupted your stay, but hopefully everything else was enjoyable while you were here. We appreciate your feedback, and again thank you for choosing the Ivy Hotel as your hotel accommodation while in Chicago. Hopefully we will see you again soon.

General Manage – Ivy Boutique Hotel
palatine il
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

We went here for my birthday weekend. Chose the IVY because of groupon offer. Service was great - allowed us to store bags before check in. Suite rooms are large, no view though. Very modern, cozy, comfortable. The large soaker tub was fabulous, much needed after a day of sightseeing/shopping - wish I had bubble bath - the bath salts were a good touch though. The bathroom was ADA with a wand only set up. It wouldn't stay in place as a regular shower though. Very hard to enjoy the shower because of this. When I got out the whole bathroom floor, entry way and mini-bar area was flooded. We called the front desk and they said they've had problems with that bathroom and we were to place a towel outside the shower - which we weren't told about. Help came immediately. We asked to placed in a different room, which they did and that bathroom was not ADA and the rain shower was perfect. The TV in the mirror didn't work in this room or the mechanical blinds with out tugging them. But overall the rooms are spacious and comfortable. Staff is very friendly. Gave us free glasses of wine for the trouble - which was recommended by the bartender and delicious. Despite the trouble, I'd go back. Location was great.

Room Tip: If you do not need a ADA room, make sure you don't get assigned to one. Or remember to put a to...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
JamesCazares, General Manager at Ivy Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Hello Dana K,
Thank you for taking time out of your day to write a review for the Ivy Boutique Hotel. I am glad that we were able to assist with relocating you so that you could better enjoy your stay. Our rainfall showers are always a huge hit with guests, so I am glad you got to experience it during your stay. Again, thank you for your review, and hopefully we will see you again soon.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

Service is this hotels #1 priority, and it shows. Great stay. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a large room, great service, and location. This was my first time to Chicago and I will be returning to this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Steveo200
JamesCazares, General Manager at Ivy Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 12 April 2014
Stevo:
Thanks you for the kind words we always are trying our hardest to improve the hotel. I also wanted to let you know that we have free calling to Canada from our phones in the hotel! Thanks again for the kind words. See you soon!