“Great Little Hotel”
Review of Ivy Boutique Hotel

Ivy Boutique Hotel
Ranked #83 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Accommodating staff, clean modern rooms. Location was perfect for walking to sites.
I arrived very late at night after a very miserable travel day. The staff was waiting and got me right into my room.
The pastries on the desk are yummy!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
JamesCazares, General Manager at Ivy Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Hello rquinn4816,
Thank you for your review of the IVY Hotel in Chicago. I am happy hear you enjoyed your stay, and that our staff was able to help you relax and feel at home even after a long day of travelling. We always appreciate hearing from guests, and hope to see you again in the future. Thank you for choosing the IVY Hotel. Enjoy your day.

There are newer reviews for Ivy Boutique Hotel

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Stayed overnight on a quick trip through the city. If you know Chicago well and are just in for meetings, work, hospital, etc, this hotel is for you. Great rooms (I was upgraded to a King suite) and perfect location especially for the hospital complex. Hotel feels like a small apartment building. However, there is very little service in this hotel. Check in was chaos, so prepare for a bit of a wait. (Small front desk, seemingly untrained staff). Also, there is no concierge or local knowledge. If you are a tourist, need info or don't know the city, this isn't the hotel for you.

Sky Terrace is a great idea but executed terribly. Bartenders are obnoxious and craft cocktails were bland and watery. Also, warm prosecco and no flutes. There is a Crate and Barrel two blocks away -- no excuse for not having the right hardware. If you want a sky view, plan to go to Nomi instead. I won't speculate on the cause of problems with the hotel staff, but just know -- great rooms and huge gaps in service. Trendy, clean decor. My room had no view, but otherwise was lovely. (I'm a sucker for window walls and electric blinds/curtains.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Renee W
JamesCazares, General Manager at Ivy Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Hello Rwilmeth,
Thank you for writing a review for the IVY Hotel. We are glad you enjoyed your room, but do apologize for any negative occurrences in service that happened while staying with us over the weekend. I am glad you got to experience one of our King Suites during your visit. They are 675 sqft, and offer the separate seating and living area that gives the room more of an apartment feel like you explained. Again, I want to thank you for your review and we will be using your comments to make positive changes to better the IVY Hotel. Enjoy the rest of your day.

Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

The hotel is small but very nice. They rooms are very generous in size and well equipped. The bathrooms are quite nice with a rainfall shower and separate tub. There is a tv in the bathroom mirror. However, it was not functioning. I called and asked to have it fixed and they said they would send someone but this never happened. I was there for two nights for business and there is a nice desk/workspace in the room as well. Turndown service was a nice touch with a small treat each night. The rooftop bar has some great views although the drinks are pricey.

Stayed: September 2013
JamesCazares, General Manager at Ivy Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Hello e w,
Thank you for writing a review for the IVY Hotel. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I do want to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with the bathroom television. I have passed this information along to our maintenance and they are taking care of the issue. We hope to see you again soon, and thank you again for choosing the IVY as your hotel accommodation during your stay here in Chicago. Enjoy your day.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

My spouse and I stayed there for the first time for our 3 yr wedding anniversary and loved the room - King Suite. It was spacious, very modern. After coming back from dinner we went to the Sky Terrace for drinks, it was very nice (hopefully they don't start charging an entrance fee into it, if they do hopefully it won't be for guests staying in the hotel) The price of drinks was fine but they need a better wine selection. Everyone at the hotel was extremely nice and polite. Our only negative experience(s) was the TV in the bathroom was out of order and when we checked out the valet was not outside and we had to wait for him to show up with our car key even though our car was already outside for us. Overall really nice hotel.

Cons
1.)No ATM on property ...
Would definitely recommend hotel but would advise you to bring plenty of cash with because there is no ATM in the hotel which I personally found annoying (there is a safe in the room).
2.)Ice ...
Also if you want ice for your ice bucket there is only ice on the first floor and it's behind the concierge/check in desk - so they have to get it for
you.
3.) Check In/Check Out Times...
Check in is at 4p where most hotels it is 3p and check out is at 11a where most hotels it is 12 noon. So your paying for two less hours.

• Stayed: July 2014
JamesCazares, General Manager at Ivy Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

Hello Maverick_MVM,
Thank you for writing a review for the IVY Hotel. We appreciate your comments, and are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I do apologize for the technical issues that you had in your guest room, and assure you that we are working to fix that inconvenience. We appreciate your review, and use all comments that we receive from guests to improve our property and continue to succeed. Thank you again, and enjoy your night.

Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

We arrived a bit earlier so we were told that they had no room, but that they will store our luggage and we should come back in about two hours. So my husband and I went to the washroom to fresh up and suddenly a room was free.
It was only at the 5th floor but it was a nice and pretty "roomy" suite. Everything clean and comfortable. The bathroom is really big, great rain forest shower and clean tub. The only thing we did not like in the suite .... the light was not bright and the room was always a bit dark... That's the only thing we really have to complain about. For that money you can expect good lights.
Staff was nice and friendly and tried to help.
If we would get a good price, we would come back ;)

Stayed: June 2014
JamesCazares, General Manager at Ivy Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Hello Spider79,
Thank you for taking time out of your day to write a review for the IVY Hotel. We appreciate your kind words, and are glad to hear that you enjoyed yourself while staying with us. Also, I am glad we were able to accommodate you with an early check-in for your convenience. We appreciate your review and use all the information we get from guests to help to continue to improve the hotel and our staff. Thank you again, and we hope to see you again soon. Enjoy your day.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Ivy for only one night. Wish it were more!! The front desk was helpful and so nice. When we checked in, they upgraded us to a suite. Was that ever wonderful. The room had a living room and a bedroom, two tv's, a view from the 14th floor, and the bathroom had a tub and a separate shower. I couldn't have been happier! That was our third hotel we stayed in Chicago, and by far our favorite. On the 16th floor they had a rooftop bar area that you could get drinks and food. Another bonus! On our next trip to Chicago, this will be our 1st choice for sure!

Room Tip: We were on the 14th floor and our room was quiet and dark and so comfortable!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello 367debrah,
Thank you for writing such a wonderful review for the IVY Hotel. We appreciate you taking time out of your day to support our property. I am glad to hear that you got to experience one of our King Suites while staying at the hotel, they are always popular choices! They are 675 square feet, which makes them almost feel like you are in a small apartment opposed to a hotel room in downtown Chicago. The Sky Terrace is also a great perk for guests during the warmer seasons, I am glad you got the entire IVY experience during your stay. Thank you again, and we hope to see you again soon! Enjoy your day.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

My wife and I just returned from a long weekend in Chicago. We go often and have stayed a several nice places. This was our first time at the Ivy and it won't be our last. We did book through Hotwire and got a very good deal. I had done my research and new the hotel was Ivy before I booked. It is listed as a 4.5 star boutique in the water tower area. I was surprised that we were given the King Suite at the rate we paid. I think the hotel was full and they had filled all their Queen Studios or I'm certain that we would have been given one of those. The suite was awesome, probably worth the additional expense.

We really liked the small hotel feel. Never saw anyone else on our floor. Hotel was very clean. Room was scuffed in few spots but pretty clean and very stylish. Tons of space. Very quiet and dark at night. Unusual for a city hotel. Great location. Friendly staff. Good value even at full rate. Excellent value on Hotwire. Maybe if you booked for 3 people you would get the suite?

We are picky. We either want a great deal or a fantastic property. With the Ivy we got both.

Room Tip: King Suite was very large and an excellent value.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello Jsnjl,
Thank you for taking time to write a review for the IVY Hotel in downtown Chicago. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay! Our King Suites are always a crowd favorite. They are 675 sqft, offer a California King bed, double sinks, mini bar area, deep soaking tub and luxurious rainfall shower. Additionally, our convenient downtown location helps guests to be in the center of all activities going on in the city! Again, thank you for the review and for choosing the IVY Hotel. We look forward to seeing you again in the future! Enjoy your day.