“Unique Theater Experience”

Steppenwolf Theatre Company
Ranked #24 of 179 Concerts & Shows in Chicago
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Steppenwolf Theatre Company is where great acting meets big ideas. Our passion is to tell stories about how we live now. Our mission is to engage audiences in an exchange of ideas that makes us think harder, laugh longer, feel more. Steppenwolf is committed to year-round programing that engages our multi-generational audience with thought-provoking productions and helps develop new plays, new audiences and new artists for the future of American theater.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access
Wyoming
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 130 helpful votes
“Unique Theater Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

This was my second time to attend a play here. What a great experience. This is a small theater with a laid back community feeling. I don't think you could sit in a bad seat.

Visited November 2013

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Always Astounded!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

We try to see a performance at Steppenwolf every time we're in Chicago. This weekend we saw "Lord of the Flies". We were a bit hesitant because it was a "Steppenwolf for young audiences" performance and we had no children in tow, but WOW! We were blown away once again by the acting, direction and production value! This theatre should be at the top of your list for things to do while in Chicago. I've been attending live theatre for decades, and have never seen performances as good as the ones I consistently see at Steppenwolf.

Visited November 2013
2 Thank Lisa G
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 170 helpful votes
“Intimate theater”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

This small theater really allows you to be drawn into the production. The seats aren't overly comfortable, but adequate. You must suffer for art a bit, eh?

Visited October 2013
Evanston, Illinois
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“My favorite Chicago Theatre”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

I love this place so much more than the large downtown theatres. I have seen every Steppenwolf production for the past 20 years. The theatre itself is a wonderful space. It's not too large, and sightlines are great wherever you sit. If you're short, don't sit in the boxes. The building is only about 22 years old, so it has all the bells and whistles of a new facility - they can make it rain on stage! Some of the ensemble members include: Gary Sinise, John Malkovich, Joan Allen, Terry Kinney, Lori Metcalf, etc. The acting is fantastic. Occasionally, I question their choice of material. But it's always well done. Steppenwolf sometimes commissions new plays. Their 'tour de force' was 'August Osage County' written by Tracy Letts, who won a Tony and Pulitzer prize; the show went on to Broadway and has won many awards. It will be appearing in movie theatres this fall. Back to the theatre: There are restaurants on Halsted Street for before/after the show. There is a parking garage adjacent to the theatre.

Visited September 2013
Chicago, Illinois
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“A great venue - even greater show!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

I went to see The Mother****er with the Hat, featuring Jimmy Smits! Incredible acting and the set was awesome! I'm looking forward to my next visit.

Visited January 2013