“You almost forget you're staying in a hostel!”

Chicago Getaway Hostel
Westfield, Indiana
“You almost forget you're staying in a hostel!”
Reviewed 10 May 2011

The Good: Great location (love, love, LOVED the Lincoln Park neighborhood!), pleasantly surprised by quality of the hostel compared to the other American hostel I have stayed at - it's almost like you're staying in a fancy college dormitory. Great/friendly staff and fellow hostellers. Spacious kitchen and lounge space. Plenty of showers/toilets for the girls using the first floor bathroom - I stayed 2 nights/3 days and rarely, if ever, ran into anyone in the bathroom! Short walk to the L trains. The hostel offers a free breakfast every morning (I'm not sure what they offered, since I didn't get up early enough either morning to partake), and have free activities planned several times a week. When I was there, they had free tickets to a blues club. They have several computers with internet and printing available for use, plus they have amazingly fast free wireless internet available as well.

My nitpicks (nothing that will keep me from coming back!): 3 problems. #1: the only lighting in the room I was in were a few small track lights on the ceiling. With 8 girls in the room going to bed at various times, it would have been nice to have small lights on the wall next to each bed. #2: there were only outlets on one side of the room! #3: no dressing area in the showers, so you got soaked getting dressed or you had to make a mad dash to a toilet stall to get dressed.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank angerandhope

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 25 April 2011

This Hostel is so clean you could EAT off the FLOORS. FREINDLY and FUN staff. GREAT location. 1 Block to Buses 10 min walk to The "L". Big rooms, fresh laundry, hot showers, clean bathrooms, free internet. I feel like I'm staying at the Ritz.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Wollongong, Australia
Reviewed 5 April 2011

My partner and I stayed here for 6 nights at the end of March / beginning of April 2011.
We arrived 2 hours early after an 18.5 hour bus ride from DC. The staff were very accommodating and managed to find us a room so that we could check in early. Throughout our entire stay we received excellent service from the staff, who were always friendly and made every effort to give us recommendations about the local area and advice on train lines, etc.

The hostel is located in a great area; a main street with many restaurants, bars and supermarkets is only a few minutes walk away. It is also about a 10 minute walk away from the train station.

The rooms were basic but very modern looking. The entire hostel, including rooms, was very clean. A great feature of this hostel is the common area, where there are 6 free computers with internet, a TV room, pool table, foosball, and a fully equipped commercial-style kitchen. Free continental breakfast is offered, as well as free dinner (pasta or tacos) on Friday & Saturday nights.

The only criticism I would have is related to the size and privacy of the showers in the bathrooms, which are very small and don't have changing areas attached to them, or hooks for towels / space to put soap & other amenities.

Overall, this is a fantastic hostel which I would absolutely recommend and would use again if I return to Chicago.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Mat_Meadows, General Manager at Chicago Getaway Hostel, responded to this review, 6 April 2011
Dear Katelin_87:

Thanks for taking the opportunity to review our hostel! We're glad you had a great time and look forward to hosting you and all of your friends in the future!

Makati
Reviewed 28 March 2011

LOCATION
Located in a quiet in a safe and quiet neighborhood near the Fullerton CTA train station (Red, Brown and Purple Lines). What I love is the Clark St which is a couple of blocks away from the hostel. There are small shops and restaurants that I check out almost everyday. And on the same street, you can take the bus 22 from the bus stops in front of Starbucks or Caribou Coffee and it will take you to more shops including Best Buy, bus 36 will take you to Whole Foods (get off at Waveland St or Halsted St). Along the way you will see lots of interesting shops.

AMENITIES
A pretty straightforward hostel. Breakfast is served in the dining area. I remember bagels, muffins, fruits and coffee. The kitchen has always been kept clean. You can do groceries at Lincoln Park Market in Clark St near the hostel but if you want more choices, you can go to Dominick's near Fullerton CTA station.

Since I stayed in a dorm room, I used the common bath room. There were individual stalls for the showers and during my stay, it was always kept clean. Towels are replaced everyday. Remember to leave it on your bed before you leave your room so you will find a new one when you return.

I was fortunate enough to have nice roommates in my dorm rooms. Although sometimes when I got home at 5am after going out with friends, there would be someone else in my bed. That was one of my room mates who thought my bed was free and nobody occupied it and was lazy to go up theirs. Remember to leave some stuff on your bed so people will know it's occupied.

Internet is free and wifi signal is strongest in the lobby. Near the reception area are computers which to my delight were fast (some hostels had old computers which could barely open websites!) and printing is free which I found useful to print airline tickets and stuff.

Heat is one of the things I loved about this hostel. The entire hostel is always kept warm. And I was there on winter. I also stayed in Hostelling International Chicago for a couple of days but I couldn't sleep there because it was freezing, not to mention it was so close to the Loop and the trains that passed by every 2-5 minutes or so kept me awake. When I returned to Chicago Getaway Hostel, I said to myself, "Home sweet home."

Lockers are available in and outside the rooms. Remember to bring your own locks.

Washer and dryer are in the basement. Arm yourself with quarters. The front desk will be happy to change your bills into quarters but sometimes they run out of change early in the morning. You can go back around 9 or 10am and they will have quarters.

STAFF
Very professional, super nice and cute! If you have a problem they will try to help you unlike in other hostels where they just pretend they don't understand you. If the bathroom runs out of toilet paper in the middle of the night, they will go get one for you. If you need an extra towel, they will hand one to you without fuss. For those going to Chicago for the first time, you can ask them for directions and if they're not very busy (no one's lining up to check in/out) they will gladly help you plan your trip around the city. Hostel manager is nice and approachable.

CROWD
Mixed although there were many young people in the common area. If you're the sociable type, there will always be a group of people chitchatting around especially at dinnertime. If you want peace and quiet, don't worry. The hostel staff makes sure that it doesn't get too rowdy especially since alcohol consumption is allowed in the hostel. I noticed the hostel has lots of activities like a beer crawl but I didn't join any of them.

Tip for those staying in the dorm rooms: Expect that there will always be someone in your room with a jetlag. This means that someone will be turning on the lights, walking around, opening and closing the steel lockers, typing something on their laptops at 2AM. If you cannot deal with that, getting your own private room would be a good idea.

OVERALL
I had a great stay here last December that I returned here last January. I would definitely recommend this place to my friends going to Chicago.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank randy917
USA
Reviewed 24 March 2011

I stayed at this hostel a few years ago when it was under a different management. This time when I returned I was impressed by the changes I got to see. They have renovated the place and now its very comfortable, welcoming and affordable.

What I liked.

- Well connected to the Union Station by bus ($2.25 one way fare; bus is pretty regular; I took #11 but there are other buses that run on this route).

- Very clean (this is an absolute must for me; clean bed sheets, linens, towels, CLEAN BATHROOMS- a BIG plus for me). The challenge for them will be to maintain the cleanliness level in the years to come. Its still new so I don't know how long they'll sustain the cleanliness. But at the moment it is one of the cleanest hostels I've lived in. 5 stars for that! Good job guys!!!!)

- A well-equipped kitchen with gas stoves, fridge, freezer, microwave, dishwasher, utensils to cook and eat in. This is awesome for those who want to save some extra bucks by cooking themselves. Again a big plus for me.

- Free Wifi and printing. Public desktops with wifi connection. What more can I say about this?

- Pretty safe: I stayed in a 12 bed female dorm and got to meet other girls from Germany. I never locked my bag although I was carrying a laptop. Initially I was a bit skeptical about leaving stuff in the room unattended but then I saw that the other girls had left their laptops and phones in the room as well. There are locks available but I did not feel the need to use them.

- Several eating restaurants within walking distance. There's also a CVS nearby.

-Fairly good breakfast (cereal, bread, bagel, jam, peanut butter, cream cheese, orange, banana, milk, coffee and tea)

--Staff is friendly. This may not seem too significant but trust me it matters a LOT. I've had vacations ruined because of rude staff. Folks here are friendly, willing to answer your questions and welcoming. This is important when you're traveling by yourself in a new and alien city.

- Affordable: I travel on a student budget and I could sleep in peace in a 12 bed dorm by paying about $35 (there's a 15.4% charge over and above the Hostelworld price)

What could bug some people:

-Noise: I had an early morning appointment so I slept early at night. Since the other girls had a different routine, there was chatting on the phone, going in and out of the room while I was trying to sleep (this was a 12 bed dorm). But this is a small inconvenience compared to the other pluses and may not be a bother if you're staying in a private.

-Shower area is very small and there is no facility/racks to keep your toiletries (soap, bath lily) and clothes inside as you shower.

-The door to my room did not lock properly. But then as I said it did not matter atleast for this trip but this is something that the management should repair asap.

Well nothing major to complain about. I enjoyed my stay and will return when I am in Chicago. I whole-heartedly recommend this hostel to others.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
Mat_Meadows, General Manager at Chicago Getaway Hostel, responded to this review, 31 March 2011
Dear Solofemaletourist:

Thank you for such a thorough review on the Chicago Getaway Hostel! We're happy you had an opportunity to review many aspects of our hostel. We are working hard everyday to be the best hostel in the USA. We value our guest opinions and look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 1 March 2011

Stayed here based on yelp reviews, and I was not disappointed. The hostel is in a great neighborhood, is conveniently located within a 10 minute walk of a major Chicago public transportation hub, and IT'S CLEAN! They were in the middle of a remodel, but I can't wait to go back and see what it looks like. Helpful staff, too; very willing to answer questions. I would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear HappygoDavid:

Thanks for taking the time to review the Chicago Getaway Hostel! I am happy that you had a great time while visiting our hostel in Lincoln Park- Chicago. We value our guest feedback and work hard to be one of the hostels you'll ever find. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 25 February 2011

I was in Chicago, looking for an apartment for a couple of weeks, waiting for my girlfriend to join me. The Getaway was wonderful - friendly, welcoming staff; a lively and vibrant social scene with lots of interesting fellow travellers; fantastic location - it really couldn't be any better. Despite it being a hostel, I'd have to say this is one of the finest hotels I've ever been in, and that includes some very exalted company. If you're in Chicago, and you need somewhere to stay, come here. It's that simple.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
Dear samueldavismiller:

Sam, it was great getting to know you while you were a guest at the Chicago Getaway Hostel! We're definitely thrilled that you were able to select our hostel as your temporary, home away from home. As you know- our hostel is one of the best and we strive to meet and exceed every guest expectation. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!