Chicago Getaway Hostel
Belair Hotel(Chicago)
The Willows(Chicago)
  • Restaurant
1,796 results
All reviewslincoln parkfullerton stationshared bathroombunk bedshalf bathdorm roombeautiful neighborhoodclark stsafe neighborhoodfree breakfastcommon areastrain stationmin walka great place to stayenjoyed my staythe loopfew blocks
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here last week for 4 nights and couldn't have been happy with the location. The hostel is set on a quiet, picturesque residential street near Lincoln Park, just outside the main city of Chicago. There are HEAPS of restaurants, shops and bars nearby - (our personal favourite was 'The Other Side' just around the corner with awesome food and great service). Also it is within walking distance of lincoln park zoo and lake michigan. Getting around the city is super easy as there is Fullerton train station around a 10 minute walk away. We caught the train from O'Hare Airport to the hostel, as well as to downtown Chicago (The Loop etc) and out to Wrigley Field.
The rooms at the Getaway are clean and modern. We had a private room with ensuite. The shower was always too hot and the beds weren't the most comfortable but we were still happy with our room. The free daily breakfast was simple but good. All the staff were super friendly and helpful. I would 100% recommend this hostel as a great place to stay and will definitely stay again if I'm ever visiting Chicago again.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank melroka01
Mat_Meadows, General Manager at Chicago Getaway Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Hi melroka01:

Thanks for taking the time to review your stay at Chicago Getaway Hostel! We're glad you enjoyed your trip and the proximity to many great bars, restaurants and Wrigley Field! We hope to see you on your next visit to Chicago!

Reviewed 16 May 2014

I was pleasantly surprised with this hostel. I had read good reviews, but I'm always a bit sceptical, because the price of the hotel was very cheap. I came from O'Hare during the night and took the train following the instructions on their website. I had no problems finding it.

The location is excellent. Lincoln Park is a very nice and safe neighborhood. It's close to the park and lake and the red line, which can get you anywhere. There are also many places to go near, but the street where the hostel is located is quiet and residential, so it won't be noisy at night. The staff is super nice and helpful. They helped me so much with directions! They also sell discount tickets for a lot of the attractions in Chicago, so ask them before you buy any ticket. They have activities every night, where they take you to local bars and places. If you're traveling alone, like I was, this is a great idea!

I stayed for a week in a shared 8-bed dorm, and although they constantly changed, all the girls I in my room and considerate. Maybe I was lucky, but all the guests I encountered where the same. There are guests of all ages, not just your typical youngsters. Breakfast is very good and they have a very nice and clean kitchen you can use. You can also store food in the fridge and no one will touch it. They have a system, so you know your food won't disappear.

All the facilities are very clean. The rooms are very basic, but it's a hostel. The locker will fit a carry on. The internet signal is great. What more can I say? I just wish there was a Getaway in every US city!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank TheChocButterfl... .
Mat_Meadows, General Manager at Chicago Getaway Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear thechocbutterfly:

Thanks so much for reviewing Chicago Getaway Hostel! We're glad you had a great stay - and that you can call us "the best hostel I've ever been to" - we are really happy to hear that.

Thanks for sharing your experience with the TripAdvisor community, we look forward to seeing you back at Getaway Hostel in the future!

Reviewed 12 May 2014

As the daughter of hotel snobs, me sleeping in a Hampton Inn for the night is usually "roughing it." But when I had foreigners staying with me after working a summer camp, they wanted a cheap option for our trip to Chicago. After looking online I decided Chicago Getaway looked nice and that we would try it out. We LOVED this place! Everyone is so incredibly friendly & the neighborhood is safe and is absolutely beautiful! The 4 of us stayed in a private room with a full attached bath and it was clean & comfy! I would absolutely stay there again when traveling with friends!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jayne S
Mat_Meadows, General Manager at Chicago Getaway Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Jayne S:

We love that you love us! We're glad that you had a chance to enjoy hospitality away from the traditional hotels - and hope that you'll be sharing your experience with all of your friends. Can't wait to see you around our friendly confines on a future trip with your friends.

Safe travels!

Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

Had a great time staying at this hostel. Location is great, train station just down the road which gets you anywhere you need to go quickly and easily. The room was good, bathrooms always available and clean and common areas are nice with a good breakfast. Unbeatable in Chicago!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chloeescott
Mat_Meadows, General Manager at Chicago Getaway Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2015

Chloeescott,

Thanks for reviewing Chicago Getaway Hostel! Glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you back at Chicago Getaway Hostel again in the future.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

The rooms were nice and comfortable and the common areas were always nice and clean and there was plenty of space for everyone (not sure if the place was full to capacity though). The location is about as good as it gets in Chicago, tons of restaurants nearby and easy distance from the L and buses to downtown.

Place is a bit more expensive than some other hostels in Chicago but it can be worth the extra $15-20 to stay in Lincoln Park as its so much nicer.

Parking is a bit pricey here too but there's free street parking to be found along Stockton Dr to the east or a few blocks north in the Lakeview neighborhood east of Broadway along the lake. Just gotta be willing to walk around 10 minutes to your car.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business