“Highlight of my trip”
Review of Second City

Second City
Ranked #4 of 563 Nightlife in Chicago
More attraction details
Owner description: The Second City is the world's premiere comedy theatre offering the best in Chicago-style sketch and improv comedy every night of the week and has launched the careers of Tina Fey, Bill Murray, Stephen Colbert, Steve Carell and many, many others.
Useful Information: Stairs / lift, Bathroom facilities
New York City, New York
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Highlight of my trip”
Reviewed 2 August 2013

My friend and I tried to get tickets the day of but found out the 8 pm show was already sold out. We decided to buy tickets for the 11pm show for 4 Girls and a Guy. It was reasonably priced at $28. We grabbed dinner next door before the show and came back about 45 minutes before the show began. Try to get to the door early so you can get a good seat, especially if you have a large group. It is a really nice venue. They have a menu of drinks and food, but I only ordered a tea. The show was great. Not every bit was funny, but I very much enjoyed it. I'm usually very thrifty, but I liked the show so much, I even bought a sweatshirt. Getting a cab after the show was pretty difficult since some many people are out in that neighborhood at that time.

Visited April 2013

• Hebrew first
Kansas City, Missouri
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 118 helpful votes
“Fantastic!!”
Reviewed 31 July 2013

What a great highlight to our trip! We loved this show! We were laughing all evening. We took our boys, 16 and 19 and they had a blast as well. We didn't purchase tickets in advance (I recommend doing so) so we took a chance that someone wouldn't show for their tickets and we did get lucky. It's a tight fit inside but it worked fine. We would definitely return!

Visited July 2013
Austin, Texas
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 127 helpful votes
“Hype + Price = Overrated. Sorry, but serious.”
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Geeez, I wanted to love - I mean LOVE - Second City. As a couple who LOVES stand-up, improv, etc..it was one of our biggest "Must-Dos" while visiting Chicago. I shrugged off the price, because hey, ya gotta do it. (And it was hard to shrug off the price because this was EXPENSIVE, holy crap.) My husband and I went and saw the late show of Let Them Eat Chaos on Saturday night., and it was......meh.

First of all, THIS IS NOT IMPROV!!! I made the mistake of assuming it was going to be heavily improvised, but this is 85% sketch comedy (meaning scripted short plays). And maybe I'm coming off like a real curmudgeon here, but the sketches honestly weren't THAT great. I mean if you are "One of the best comedy clubs in the world", your sketches - THAT YOU HAVE TIME TO WRITE, PREPARE, and COMPLETELY CONTROL - better be rip-roaringly funny.

We honestly CHUCKLED a handful of times. And allow me to define my husband and myself as very fun, clever, humor-lovers. We always seek out comedy shows and improv whenever we can. We know funny. And this really, REALLY wasn't that funny.

It WAS good acting. The actors were great - amazingly versatile: wonderful singers, convincing in serious and humorous scenes, etc... I really hope the best for this troupe, and I'm positive they are hilarious when let loose. This show just wasn't hilarious. At all.

Things you need to know, if you still insist on going:

-Seating is assigned; at least it was during our show. I'm sure they fill up front to back, so it still behooves you to arrive early, but you won't be able to control where you sit.

- Drinks are whew-expensive. Bring a flask if ya can ;)

- As late as the 11:00 show was, they actors did a "3rd act" after the show was over that was entirely improv. Not sure if the do this during the earlier show, so it may be worth attending the later showing. THIS 3rd act was the best part; it was just unfortunately 1 in the morning by the time I started laughing (in between yawns). LOTS of ppl bolted once the actual show was over, so the theater had a lot of empty seats for this improv bit.

Bottom line - if you love sketch comedy and have a lot of money to throw around, this place is pretty neat. If you prefer improv and actual hilarious shows, check out Improv Shakespeare at iO - THAT is the hardest I may have ever laughed. (for half the price!!)

Visited June 2013
Greenbrier, Tennessee
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Must see Chicago attraction!”
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Sketch improv comedy at it's finest. We laughed the whole way through. Several big names got their start at 2nd city Chicago, Tina Fey and Dan Aykroyd just to name a couple. This is on our "must see" list every time we visit Chicago.

Visited July 2013
New York
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Old School comedy club with history”
Reviewed 26 July 2013

I imagine most people come to Second City because of their role in launching so many talented comedians over the years. The performance was very much like watching an episode of Saturday Night Live. There was a little improvisation and a small amount of audience interaction to boot. The show was funny and we definitely enjoyed ourselves. The seating however left much to be desired. The chairs were packed so tight it was uncomfortable and I agree with another reviewer who indicated that it must be a fire hazard. However, once the show began, I forgot how uncomfortable I was because it was definitely entertained.

Visited June 2013