The hotel is located near I94 and is close to Greektown.
The hotel itself is relatively convenient. There are two El/train stations close to the hotel, the Clinton-Green/Pink line and the UIC-Halsted Blue line (both approximately 6 blocks away). You can commute from O'Hare and/or Midway airports from the hotel. There are also bus stations across the street that will take you to the Loop. Union Station is also close to the hotel, I believe it is about 2-3 stops (4 blocks) from the hotel. Cabs/taxis are also plentiful.
NOTE: parking is expensive in downtown Chicago so factor the cost of parking in the equation when deciding to drive a car. ALSO, there is a parking charge for the hotel. Call or check on line (I am unsure of the parking fee because we used public transportation and did not drive).
There are a number of stores close to the hotel itself. There is a Walgreens behind the hotel, there is also a Dominic's Supermarket across the street that has a Starbucks. There is also a "regular" Starbucks and a number of restaurants if you go South on Halstead.
The hotel is not that special outside. The lobby was clean and there was a lounge area. There is a restaurant attached and a bar. I cannot comment on the bar or restaurant since we did not eat or hang out at the hotel bar. There is a business center where you can print your boarding pass or access the web. There is also wifi, but the signal in our room was a little weak. The staff is helpful and polite. Being from Los Angeles, the Midwest charm is not lost on me.
We booked a suite on the "no-kids floor" of the hotel. The hotel offers travelers a few floors that offer late housekeeping (after 10 am I believe) and does not allow kid-guests on those floors. This is perfect for those who sleep light or would like to sleep-in. Courtesy is also expected from the guests if you are staying in these "no-kids" floor, meaning no loud music, no banging of doors, and no parties.
The suite that we got had a living room, a desk, and a bedroom. The bedroom, bathroom and living room were all separated by doors and the room looks like a one bedroom apartment. You have a couch and a flat panel TV in the living room. The living room can be dark and gloomy during the day because the bedroom is the only room that has a natural source of light. Our room did not come with a fridge.
The bedroom was ample sized and had a flat panel TV as well. The king-size bed was comfortable and the sheets were nice. I was very comfortable in the bed and was able to sleep well at night. I noticed that some reviews complain about street noise. Closing the window/door to the balcony in the bedroom eliminates the street noise. I may not be as noise sensitive as the other reviewers, but at 15 floors up I could not hear any noise once I closed the sliding door.
The bathroom was ample sized and clean. My only complaint was the weird shower head. I would suggest to the management to install full sized showerheads.
OVERALL: I would stay at the Crowne Plaza again. The hotel location on the East side of I94 may be a little far from Michigan Ave or Millennium Park, forcing you to take a bus, hire a taxi or walk 30 or more minutes to Millennium Park (one reviewer claimed that it was a 15 minute walk, it is more than 1 mile to Millennium Park which would take 30 minutes or more if walking leisurely).
If another hotel had the same quality and price and located in the loop or close to the Magnificent Mile, just on convenience I would book that other hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Crowne Plaza West Loop. Crowne Plaza West Loop, the closest hotel to the United Center, is a winning choice for your lodging needs. Nestled in the shadow of the Willis Tower, the Crowne Plaza West Loop is centrally located to many of Chicago's finest attractions. Just blocks from the Loop, and Michigan Ave./Magnificent Mile shopping, Adler Planetarium, Art Institute of Chicago and Navy Pier are located a short distance away. From its brilliantly designed architecture, sleek modern interiors, masterfully appointed guest rooms and numerous amenities, the Crowne Plaza West Loop is the perfect choice for the discerning traveler. Experience our highly acclaimed restaurant Dine, with eclectic cuisine to fit every palate served in a charming retro diner atmosphere with an upbeat contemporary style. Our event space and outstanding service make Crowne Plaza West Loop The Place to Meet. Our Crowne Meetings Director coordinates every detail of your event, making us the favorite for wedding, conference, banquet and meeting planners. The Crowne Plaza West Loop is everything you expect, and much more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, IHG, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Crowne Plaza Chicago West Loop reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Crowne Plaza Chicago - The Metro Hotel Chicago
- Chicago Crowne Plaza
- Crowne Plaza Chicago Metro