“Nice hotel, close to the Loop”

Crowne Plaza Chicago West Loop
Ranked #97 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 10 October 2012

LOCATION:
The hotel is located near I94 and is close to Greektown.
The hotel itself is relatively convenient. There are two El/train stations close to the hotel, the Clinton-Green/Pink line and the UIC-Halsted Blue line (both approximately 6 blocks away). You can commute from O'Hare and/or Midway airports from the hotel. There are also bus stations across the street that will take you to the Loop. Union Station is also close to the hotel, I believe it is about 2-3 stops (4 blocks) from the hotel. Cabs/taxis are also plentiful.

NOTE: parking is expensive in downtown Chicago so factor the cost of parking in the equation when deciding to drive a car. ALSO, there is a parking charge for the hotel. Call or check on line (I am unsure of the parking fee because we used public transportation and did not drive).
There are a number of stores close to the hotel itself. There is a Walgreens behind the hotel, there is also a Dominic's Supermarket across the street that has a Starbucks. There is also a "regular" Starbucks and a number of restaurants if you go South on Halstead.

HOTEL:
The hotel is not that special outside. The lobby was clean and there was a lounge area. There is a restaurant attached and a bar. I cannot comment on the bar or restaurant since we did not eat or hang out at the hotel bar. There is a business center where you can print your boarding pass or access the web. There is also wifi, but the signal in our room was a little weak. The staff is helpful and polite. Being from Los Angeles, the Midwest charm is not lost on me.

ROOM:
We booked a suite on the "no-kids floor" of the hotel. The hotel offers travelers a few floors that offer late housekeeping (after 10 am I believe) and does not allow kid-guests on those floors. This is perfect for those who sleep light or would like to sleep-in. Courtesy is also expected from the guests if you are staying in these "no-kids" floor, meaning no loud music, no banging of doors, and no parties.
The suite that we got had a living room, a desk, and a bedroom. The bedroom, bathroom and living room were all separated by doors and the room looks like a one bedroom apartment. You have a couch and a flat panel TV in the living room. The living room can be dark and gloomy during the day because the bedroom is the only room that has a natural source of light. Our room did not come with a fridge.
The bedroom was ample sized and had a flat panel TV as well. The king-size bed was comfortable and the sheets were nice. I was very comfortable in the bed and was able to sleep well at night. I noticed that some reviews complain about street noise. Closing the window/door to the balcony in the bedroom eliminates the street noise. I may not be as noise sensitive as the other reviewers, but at 15 floors up I could not hear any noise once I closed the sliding door.

The bathroom was ample sized and clean. My only complaint was the weird shower head. I would suggest to the management to install full sized showerheads.

OVERALL: I would stay at the Crowne Plaza again. The hotel location on the East side of I94 may be a little far from Michigan Ave or Millennium Park, forcing you to take a bus, hire a taxi or walk 30 or more minutes to Millennium Park (one reviewer claimed that it was a 15 minute walk, it is more than 1 mile to Millennium Park which would take 30 minutes or more if walking leisurely).

If another hotel had the same quality and price and located in the loop or close to the Magnificent Mile, just on convenience I would book that other hotel.

Room Tip: If you are not traveling with kids, ask for the the "no-kids" floor at the hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,135)

Reviewed 5 October 2012

I recently traveled to Chicago for a work conference at McCormick Place Convention Center, which is approximately 2.5 miles south of downtown Chicago. Several Magnificent Mile hotels were offered at a discounted "conference rate", but were still quite expensive. Instead, I reserved the Crowne Plaza via a Hotwire "hidden deal." I was satisifed with this more affordable option.

This hotel is not located along the sought after Magnificent Mile. Rather, it is located in the West Loop. It was very easy to reach from Chicago O'hare on public transportation. The UIC train stop was only a few blocks away, making it an easy walk. It is located in "Greektown", which has many great restaurants. There is also a grocery store directly across the street. Furthermore, the Mag Mile, Millenium Park, and the Convention Center were all very accessible by bus.

The room itself was an average size for a 3.5 star hotel, but the bathroom was small. The room was modern and clean. There is no "ideal room" since the hotel is flanked on both sides by highways. The west side is a city street, while the right side is an interstate. Despite being on a higher floor, the street noise was still audible.

An added bonus is the free internet.

Overall, I would stay there again assuming I could get a good price (I paid about $140 on Hotwire).

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 September 2012

The hotel is located in the Greektown area of Chicago. It's right off the highway and easy to find. The bed is so comfortable. I'm ready to move in! If you're sensitive to noise, we forewarned that you can hear all kinds of traffice noises below. I'm on the 15th floor, too! Room-service is great- I've ordered both for dinner and for breakfast. The fruits and vegetables on those trays were delicious- amazingly fresh. The lobby area is small- multiple groups were meeting each other both in the mornings at and night so it gets a little crowded. Very impressive recycling campaign, complete with a bag to place your recyclables- newspapers, plastic bottles, etc. It was nice to know that this stuff wasn't just going to be tossed in the dumpster. Parking is expensive for overnight parking- $36/night.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a quieter room if you're bothered by street noise.
Reviewed 26 September 2012

Stayed at this hotel for one night on a business trip. Overall quick check in. There is valet parking right in front of the hotel. I had a room facing the highway and it is a bit loud even at night. So if you get easily disturbed by noise, this might be an issue. Bathrooms are on the small side. Otherwise, room was clean, nice staff. Nice bar and decent restaurant in the hotel. Pretty decent bar food, nice selection. Also in walking distance are a few nice restaurants and bars. Overall a nice hotel if you have something to do in this area. It is not close to the Michigan Ave but then it's not Michigan Ave price.

Reviewed 25 September 2012 via mobile

I would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Chicago. This was our first time going to Chicago. The staff was friendly and helpful in pointing out eateries/getting a cab/general advice on tourist attractions. It is a 5 minute walk from Willlis Tower. 15 minute walk to Millenium Park. The rooms were clean, but the bathroom door was a little strange- it slid on a bar and didn't close all the way. This hotel is right near "Greek Town", try Cafe Meli- best breakfast and home made marmalade. The doorman was very nice, I wish I got his name to put on this review. The restaurant was yummy too- had some late night food there, great staff.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 23 September 2012

I stayed here on a business trip for 4 days mid September 12. The staff were great providing the usual good service you can expect in the USA . The hotel lacks reception space though and somewhere to sit and meet people. The only real options are the lobby (crowded and noisy ) or the bar and restaurant . Piped music here and hard floors make talking difficult .
The suite I was in had plenty of all the right things but if you are a Brit and need your tea bring your own travel kettle. The room only has a coffee maker.
One big disappointment in the suite was the poor tv facilities and lack of films. I appreciate you can use your pc/iPad but sometimes it's nice to view on a larger screen especially at the end of a busy working day.

Last point as the hotel is next to the express way there is traffic noise despite double glazing and being 16 floors up

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Chicago West Loop, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2012

Dear nebisbubbles,

We appreciate that you took the time to review our hotel. I appreciate the compliments on the staff and the level of service provided. It encourages our team members to work even harder and consistently delight our guests. Let me take this opportunity to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced. It is certainly not our intent to inconvenience our valued customers, but to instead provide good value, comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. Your feedback is of great importance to us and allows us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCar

Reviewed 18 September 2012

Very clean and spacious rooms. My room was quiet and comfortable. The staff were all very helpful as well. Great for business. Only issue was getting a cab in the morning. When one could not be located by the hotel they used one of their own cars to take us to our meeting! I imagine the trouble finding a cab on a Monday morning is standard in Chicago. If possible, order car service in the morning to eliminate the hassle.