“Crowne Plaza a jewel”

Crowne Plaza Chicago West Loop
Ranked #94 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Staff was very nice and helpful, rooms were clean and fresh. The beds were very very comfortable. The "in house" restaurant was expensive (as all are) but the food was very good.
A lot of international visitors. Athletes from many countries.

Room Tip: All rooms should be great.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
JimConwayGM, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Chicago West Loop, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2013

Thank you for choosing to stay with us! We are all delighted to hear that you enjoyed your experience in both the hotel and restaurant. Please come back and visit us again soon!

Reviewed 5 May 2013

I got this best deal on Hotwire. I did not know the name of the hotel at the time of the booking but that's the policy of hotwire when you try to get some special deals. However, I did not repent as the Crowne Plaza turned out to be a very decent hotel, placed at a very convenient location which is close to many important tourist attractions (between a range of 3 to 4 miles). The staff was very friendly. The hotel is reasonably clean. The room was spacious and had a decent closet, working desk, coffee maker. Coffee, milk and sugar is replenished daily. The balcony offered a very nice view of the downtown as we were placed on 11th Floor. The overnight parking at this hotel is little expensive (around $ 35) but we had not taken our car there, so it wasn't a problem for us. Getting a cab from the lobby of the hotel was never a problem and there were no long waits. The quality of mattresses and pillows were beyond expectation and we enjoyed good sleep every night during our 4 days' stay. We did not try the restaurant at the ground level of the hotel, so can't comment about the food served over there. I would highly recommend this hotel

Room Tip: Go for a higher floor rooms
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank KuwaitGlobeTrotter

Thank you for recommending our hotel! Customer satisfaction is our #1 goal, and I am delighted to hear that you had such a wonderful experience. Please let us know when your travels bring you back to Chicago!

Reviewed 30 April 2013

I visited Chicago from the UK on a 3 day business trip. The hotel was conveniently located to business district and it was a pleasant 1 hour stroll to lakeside and shopping area on the Sunday. The room was clean and comfortable and I took the advice of others on trip advisor and asked for a room on 15th floor which they accommodated and was quiet with little noise from the road below. The food was basic but did the job for breakfast and an evening snack. For an English girl the tea facilities in the room were woeful!! No kettle only a coffe maker which I had to use to heat water and no milk only cream! The helpful lady in the restaurant provided me a cup of milk each evening so I survived! The gym was great - good facilities and cool. The room was a perfect temperature. Just do check your bill carefully as I had a room service entry that wasn't mine!! Overall this was a good hotel.

Room Tip: Higher the better. Floor 15 (even over to road side) was good and noise not intrusive.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us! I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your overall experience with us. We are currently evaluating our in-room coffee/tea program, and will be sure to consider your suggestions. Our apoligies for the mix-up in the room service billing. I hope it did not cause to much of an inconvenience and glad that our team was able to straighten it out for you. Please feel free to reach out to me direct should I be able to be of further assistance to you in the future.

Reviewed 28 April 2013

This was my first overnight stay in Chicago. I met two sisters and a niece for a overnight stay in Chicago on Easter Day. I flew into Chicago Midway and took the CTA Orange Line to the Washington Wells stop in the Loop and walked about 9 blocks west on Madison Street to the Crowne Plaza. From my other visits I think Chicago has a very usable and affordable mass transit system. My sister was driving from Michigan. She made the reservation for the Crowne Plaza on Travelocity and had tried to leave my name so I could check in if I arrived earlier than her but it didn't work. I left my bags at the bell desk and walked down Halsted to find something to eat as the hotel was only offering a Easter Brunch for $35. There were lots of choices and the street was very aromatic from the smells of the Greek restaurants. There are many choices-even a Subway if you are so inclined. I found a very nice restaurant within three blocks.
The Crowne Plaza appears to have been recently renovated. It has a very modern decor. My sister arrived and was able to valet park the car which was very convenient. The room was very nice and clean and a good size but not real big. My sister had her laptop and I had my IPad and both worked fine with a outlet and WiFi. I do concur with other reviews that the coffeemake cord was a little short to reach the plug but it was moveable. The bed was very comfortable yet I was very tired. The shower head was awesome. It felt like a rainfall.
The hotel is right off I-94 and so convenient to exiting off the highway on Madison as we picked up my other other sister at Chicago-OHare on Easter evening. She and our niece were staying downtown at the Palmer House-Hilton Hotel and we able to drive to pick her up and proceed to the Shedd Aquarium on Monday morning without too much ado with traffic or directions. My sister and I returned to Michigan Monday afternoon.
All in all it was a great initial overnight stay in Chicago at the Crowne Plaza and hope to get return soon.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your experience with us! I am sorry to hear that you encountered a problem with Travelocity when trying to add an additional name to the reservation. In the future, please contact a member of the management team here at the hotel and we will be delighted to assist. We are currently looking into a solution for the coffee maker power cords and will have resolved soon. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Reviewed 26 April 2013 via mobile

Went to Chicago for a tourney at UIC. Stayed at this hotel, and i have no complaints whatsoever. It is very convenient to bars, restaurants, grocery stores (right across the street) and the train. My advice if you fly in take the train, it knit cost $5 and is a straight shot from airport on the blue line, after you get off its a about a five block walk to entrance.

Checkin was a breeze and lobby is nice and clean, front desk staff are nice and attentive. Room was a decent size, clean, tv was a little small though. Other than that I enjoyed my stay and would definitely stay there again if I come back to Chicago.

• Stayed: April 2013
JimConwayGM, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Chicago West Loop, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2013

Thank you for your wonderful comments! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your experience with us. I am happy to inform you that we will be upgrading our televisions and programming in the near future! We look forward to having you visit us again.

Sincerley,

Reviewed 26 April 2013

Nice big rooms, great sleep-enhancing products, fine service, free business center, nice location in Greektown near some fantastic restaurants. Situated between two huge supermarkets and a Walgreens, too. Main complaint: need more accessible electrical outlets that work! The two on my desk did not work, so had to move some furniture (not a good idea) to get at the few others I could find...If you think about all the equipment we bring, as well as the iron, etc, why not provide a power strip of outlets to make it easy to get things done? When I complained to the mgr, he kindly offered to bring me one, but I had already moved the furniture. And a small refrigerator is always a plus.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We apoligize for the inconvenience you experienced with the electrical outlet in your room. Inspecting each outlet is something we do on our quarterly preventative maintenance inspections and I will be sure to discuss with our Engineering Team and ask them to keep a watchful eye. I also want to let you know that we do have refrigerators available upon request. If your travel bring you back to Chicago, we hope that you would again choose to stay with us. I welcome you to contact me direct to assist with your travel plans.

Reviewed 26 April 2013

4 night stay in April.
Busy hotel for downtown business people. Located In Greektown
$28 taxi from Midway or take Orange line to Washington Wells and walk/taxi.
Wine on Wed night in lobby for guests.
Clean, comfortable but a little dated. Bar and Restuarant (Dine) downstairs. Several excellent restaurants in area, not just Greek. Girl and the Goat which is a top class restaurant is easy walking distance, (3 blocks west on Halstead on Randolph).
Walking distance to Sears (Willis) Tower and downtown depending on weather. Starbucks and pharmacy and supermarket next door. Close to United Center
Doormen will call you a cab. Plenty of cabs. Cabs take credit cards

Front desk reasonably helpful. Did not have transit maps just a local map.
Languages heard by staff, English and Spanish.
Shower good pressure and constant temperature.
Beds very comfortable. Bathroom, small but manageable and clean.
Limited power outlets. Coffee pot would not reach to nearest outlet from table. If you have more than 2-3 devices to plug in, it may be a problem. Wifi very weak and fades in and out. (Macbook ok but Ipad not so good). We Were in 5th floor room. Only nearby local public transportation are busses. You have to walk to loop or Metra transit. Convenient for Union Station. If you open balcony doors, noise from interstate is very loud. However when closed, noise was not an issue. Large TV but with limited channels.
Alarm clock is a CD player to give idea of decor. No fridge either. No concierge- - they have a virtual concierge AKA a computer.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Chicago West Loop, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2013

Dear Neil M,

Thank you for your feedback and for choosing our hotel. It is great to know that you found our location to be convenient and you found our front desk staff to be helpful. However, please accept my apologies for the issues you encountered with the Wifi connection and insufficient outlet availability.

Regards,