“average hotel with nice staff”

Crowne Plaza Chicago West Loop
Ranked #95 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I stayed 5 nights at this hotel to attend DDW conference early this month. the hotel has a location which may be excellent for other purposes but not to attend the DDW as it was not covered by the shuttle bus service of the conference. the room is clean and comfortable with reasonable amenities. the view was good from my room. a lot of restauaurants available around with wide variation. staff members were nice and welcoming and allowed me late check out.
I did not like the lift services in the hotel as they were slow and crowded. they are not sufficient for the size of the hotel. buffet breakfast was poor in varieties and expensive.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Cole M, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Chicago West Loop, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear niazyff,

We appreciate your candid feedback from your stay at the Crowne Plaza Chicago Metro. While we never want to hear that someone's stay is less than perfect, we always appreciate the opportunity to hear from our guests on what we can do to improve our services. I will make sure that your feedback regarding the breakfast buffet is passed on to our chef so that improvements can be made. Please accept our apologies that we were not able to exceed your expectations and we hope you will reconsider staying with us again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Crowne Plaza Chicago West Loop

Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a few nights for business. It's a little further from the downtown area and wouldn't really be ideal for tourists. There wasn't loads around although there is a convenient walgreens, brunch place and starbucks nearby. It's probably about a 15 minute walk to sears tower and much further to more touristy areas. Average rooms - nothing too significant either positive or negative. Somewhat outdated but okay for anyone stayinh for business nearby.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Jamie W
Cole M, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Chicago West Loop, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Dear Jamie W

Thank you for sharing your experience at Crowne Plaza Chicago Metro. We are glad to hear that you had such a wonderful stay with us. I am sorry to hear though that you did not get out and experience the great neighborhood that we are located in. There is so much more to experience other than just a Walgreens and a Starbucks. We look forward to having you stay with us again

Reviewed 24 May 2014

I visit Chicago every year around mid May for a convention and I typically stay at a different hotel each year. This was the first time that I stayed at the Crowne Plaza Chicago Metro and it was amazing. I thinks it's an old building that was renovated and they did a pretty good job with it.

STAFF:
Ben the Bellman was terrific. He was super friendly, gracious, and provided us with some great local tips to look into. He's Mr. Hospitality all the way through.

Kevin at the Front Desk checked us in and his service reminded me of the legendary Ritz-Carlton service :) Kudos Kevin.

ROOM:
The room was spacious, comfortable, clean, and the shower was awesome! The shower felt like being under a waterfall.

FOOD:
We only tried the food once at the hotel. We had the breakfast buffet and I would NOT recommend it. It's extremely over priced for crappy food. The selection is no better than the hot breakfast buffet that you get a limited service hotel and the quality is quite disappointing.

If you want a great meal for a fraction of what you'll pay at this hotel you should try the following 2 places within walking distance from the hotel:
1. Meli Cafe (I love this place! Great food and service) It's about a block and a half away.
2. Eggsperience (Across the street from the hotel. It's a dinner, but much nicer and cleaner than IHOP or Denny's and the food is better as well.

2  Thank Victor B

Dear Victor B

We at Crowne Plaza Chicago Metro appreciate you taking the time to share with us your experience as we are always pleased to receive feedback from our valued guest. We are delighted to know that you rate the overall hotel service, facilities and attitude of the staff highly, and are so glad you enjoyed your stay. I will make sure and pass on your comments to Kevin and Ben. They will surely appreciate it. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 17 May 2014

We found our room at the Crowne Plaza - The Metro on Hotwire. It was a very nice hotel; however, when we got to our room we could not get the door open. After multiple times, we were finally able to get in the room, but then we could not get the AC to work. We called downstairs and they offered to move us to another room. After that, our 3 night stay was uneventful as far as issues. The front end staff was wonderful and very helpful as to nearby restaurants, attractions, bus lines, etc. I would highly recommend this hotel to anybody looking for a nice, comfortable place to stay. We were very close to downtown and mostly walked all over downtown.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Tina F

Thank you for sharing your experience at Crowne Plaza Chicago Metro. We are delighted to hear that you had such a wonderful stay with us, and look forward to having you stay with us again.

Regards,

Reviewed 15 May 2014

I traveled there for a business and the location of this hotel was ideal for me. I paid for about $180 + tax per night, for 5 nights, in the first week of May 2014.

Pros:
A great hotel, with great facilities, clean rooms, and super friendly staff. For the price of less than $200, it is a great value. The location is near downtown and very convenient for everything. It would be a 4 star hotel if it had a swimming pool. (A pool is required by definition for a 4 star hotel.)

For the price I paid for, it would have been a a great value if it was not for the noise.

Cons:
All those 1 circle ratings for noise reasons are still there. They do not go away 7 years later as of now. For me, a good night sleep is the No.1 requirement for a good hotel. That is the only reason for my low rating to this hotel.

The hotel is located right next to a free way. One side of the hotel faces the free way, and the other side faces a busy street. I have experienced both ends during my stay. The free way noise was consistent and pretty much 24/7. The busy street noise died down late in the night but then got really noisy in the early morning. There must be a fire station or hospital around because sirens of ambulance/firetruck could just go off anytime.

If you can take the noise, it's a 5 circle rating for you. If not (like me), then it's a 1 circle rating regardless how good everything else is. Sound insulation needs to be taken into account when a hotel is built in this type of location.

Room Tip: Take your choice, free way noise or sirens on the street. Higher levels are better but not that much...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank SDCA2011
Cole M, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Chicago West Loop, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Dear hjan2011,

Thank you for your honest feedback from your recent stay at Crowne Plaza Chicago Metro. While it is great to hear that you overall rate the hotel and its staff very highly it is disappointing to hear that your stay did not meet your expectations and I will certainly share your feedback with our management so that we may explore ways to enhance our offerings. Unfortunately the noise is something that will always be present in a bustling city like Chicago. We do have insulated sliding doors on all of our rooms to mitigate the city noise as much as possible. Thank you again for your review and comments. We do hope you will consider staying with us again in the future.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

We stayed here during a Cards/Cubs weekend. The cost of all hotels remotely near the stadium is high. It is a 30 minute walk to the red line and then a 20-30 min ride to Wrigley. Not bad and worked for us. We had 2 double and had 4 adults. It was tight, but we didn't care. They have a couch and desk which helped in the space department. The shower head was awesome. We requested more towels and extra coffee cups and it was received right away. There is a coffee maker in the room. There is no refrigerator, which I knew. I thought there was a microwave, but there wasn't one. This was disappointing. I will also say that my husband and I didn't care much for the beds. We are very picky. My Dad thought it was fine, so everyone's tastes are different. In good walking distance to several good restaurants. Recommend Little Goat Diner and Haymarkets Pub. Would probably stay here again based on the price. Taxi to Navy Pier was $15 one way, which wasn't bad. We didn't hear any highway noise as long as the balcony door was closed.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Cole M, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Chicago West Loop, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Dear Melinda0222,

We at Crowne Plaza Chicago Metro appreciate you taking the time to share with us your experience as we are always pleased to receive feedback from our valued guest. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our wonderful location as well as your time in Chicago. We are also delighted to know that you rate the overall hotel service, facilities and attitude of the staff highly, and are so glad you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

I have had the pleasure of working with Colleen Wienke as the Transient Sales Manager for some time now and could not be more than thrilled with her. Colleen's efficiency, bubbly personality and willingness to accomodate is one of the main reasons I always book my remote team members at the Crowne when they visit every three weeks. She has always been more than accomodating and just a delight to work with. When looking for rooms for their colleagues I always direct my fellow admins Colleen's way and they are equally pleased with her professionalism and willingness to go above and beyond.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for sharing your experience at Crowne Plaza Chicago Metro as well as your comments regarding Colleen. We are delighted to hear that you have had such a wonderful stays with us, and look forward to having you stay with us again.