We selected this hotel because of its proximity to the Amtrak Station. We were just using it as a quick way-station between the train one day and a flight the next.
I cannot understand why Crowne Plaza is considered upscale. The accommodations are certainly acceptable, but not much more – and the service at this location was appalling.
I called a couple weeks before my stay and there was no answer for five + minutes.
My next phone experience was after check-in. The ventilation system didn’t work, so I telephoned for assistance. The operator put me through to front desk and it went straight to voice mail!! I tried again and no operator picked up at all. My husband finally went down to the front desk which was unattended; he had to search for someone to help him.
With 398 guest rooms, you would think someone would be minding the place.
When my husband finally located someone, they told him that they’d send someone up to take care of the problem. I called down to ask when he’d get there and I was told (verbatim): “When he knocks on your door.”
When the man arrived, we showed him the wall unit and demonstrated that turning the dial did nothing. He says, no, you have to use the thermostat – which was way on the other side of the room. We didn’t even see it and apparently the front desk personnel didn’t know anything about it, as I learned when I later explained what happened to the in case another guest had a similar experience.
And the system didn’t work anyhow. There is no setting for “fan.” It is either AC or heat with an automatic turn-off when the room reaches the desired temperature; we had to keep adjusting the temperature all night.
Although there was a balcony, we couldn’t leave it open it for fresh air because of the roar of traffic from the adjacent expressway.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Crowne Plaza West Loop. Crowne Plaza West Loop, the closest hotel to the United Center, is a winning choice for your lodging needs. Nestled in the shadow of the Willis Tower, the Crowne Plaza West Loop is centrally located to many of Chicago's finest attractions. Just blocks from the Loop, and Michigan Ave./Magnificent Mile shopping, Adler Planetarium, Art Institute of Chicago and Navy Pier are located a short distance away. From its brilliantly designed architecture, sleek modern interiors, masterfully appointed guest rooms and numerous amenities, the Crowne Plaza West Loop is the perfect choice for the discerning traveler. Experience our highly acclaimed restaurant Dine, with eclectic cuisine to fit every palate served in a charming retro diner atmosphere with an upbeat contemporary style. Our event space and outstanding service make Crowne Plaza West Loop The Place to Meet. Our Crowne Meetings Director coordinates every detail of your event, making us the favorite for wedding, conference, banquet and meeting planners. The Crowne Plaza West Loop is everything you expect, and much more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, IHG, Booking.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Crowne Plaza Chicago West Loop reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Crowne Plaza Chicago - The Metro Hotel Chicago
- Chicago Crowne Plaza
- Crowne Plaza Chicago Metro