“The Worst”

Got a photo?
Add it.
The Tasting Room
More attraction details
Owner description: Wines are offered by the flight or by the glass at this upscale wine bar.
Reviewed 15 March 2011

This place is terribly managed. No one answers the phone, ever. That is not an exaggeration. The email addresses on the website come back as full. The staff could not care less about the customers. It's like they are just biding time till they close the doors. And honestly, that's probably a good thing. Take a pass on this place. There is nothing redeeming about it.

2  Thank Dharmabum87

Reviewed 21 November 2008

This may be one of the best experiences I've had in a very very long time.

I had been here a few years back, and I remembered very little about it, but I will remember The Tasting Room now!!!

First of all the room is beautiful...dark & sexy with a warm candlelit glow. A Beautiful view of the chicago sky line...and our server wasn't too hard on the eyes either....wink.

I'm a bit of a wine nerd I know, but I was blown away by the wine list they seemed to have hundreds of wines (had to be over 500) and offered them all by the glass or if you'd like they offer everything by the 'taste'. The main thing that impressed me though with the wine list wasn't the amount of wines, or even the myriad of eclectic bottles, (we've all seen that)...it was the prices...Webster's, Bin 36, Avec....There is no one in the city with wine prices like these...it seemed every glass of wine I had was 3 or four buck cheaper than the other guy. I know three or four buck isn't much, but trust me, it adds up!

Then we decided to eat....now I figured just little wine and cheese stuff...nope...I mean it was there, they have what they call 'towers' of cheese and meats that you can buy, alot like those giant "seafood towers" you see at all the downtown spots, and they looked great, a table of five ordered one next to us....wow, it was like a picnic on steroids...but we decided to go for the 'real' food...everything sounded great, and i noticed some have spoken about portion size, but they call everything 'small plates' so I can only imagine this means more like american tapas...I guess they want people to try a bunch of stuff...and thats what we did, everything was stellar. There was a lot of wild game and fresh seafood on the menu, a lot of heirloom offerings (tomatoes, pork chops etc) and a lot of stuff that apparently came from some farms I had never heard of...that said, everything we had tasted like it came out of 'tru' layerd, complex, and beautiful. We weren't crazy about the baba ganoush on the mediteranean plate, but thats just me being hyper picky...all in all...food was an a+++

Service was great. Someone who I think was the manager or the wine director or someone of the like brought us over some chocolate covered strawberries. he was very funny. Our Server (can't remember her name, brown hair) really seemed to know alot about, well, everything, but somehow never made me feel dumb....

anyway I'm done rambling, let's just say i loved it and leave it at that....

Reviewed 17 July 2005

This place has good ambiance, cozy couches, and a nice view of the city. But given its billing as a wine bar, its wine selections offered as part of wine tastings leave a lot to be desired. We sampled a pinot tasting as well as a dessert wine tasting. Neither offered any medium-to-high quality wines. Only 1 pinot was compelling in the least--and it was young and underdeveloped; the other two were entirely forgettable. The dessert wines were of very poor quality, 1 being nearly undrinkable--which is hard for a dessert wine. The service was friendly but lackidaisical. It was difficult to track down our server when we wanted to leave.

3  Thank LiamG25