“Wedding”

Ranked #136 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
La Grange, Illinois
“Wedding”
Reviewed 19 October 2013 via mobile

The University Club is the best venue I have ever visited for a wedding reception.
The decor is awesome! It looks like the interior of a castle. Food is excellent, so is the service!
I would recommend anyone who is invited to an event here to attend.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank MetraCop

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Hunstville
Reviewed 6 October 2013

The University Club is in a prime location - walking distance to everything including Millenium Park, Art Institute, Michigan Ave, Water Tower Place, River Cruises, Navy Pier, train station, Lyric Opera House, theater district. A truly beautiful setting and outstanding service. The staff is exceptionally service orientated. A rare treat.

Room Tip: Rooms with a lake view or southern view are beautiful.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank D R
West Hartford, CT
Reviewed 1 October 2013

We just returned from my daughter's wedding, which was held at the University Club. About 20 of our family members stayed in their guest rooms; we had their Park Suite, and the bride and groom had the Jr. Suite. The facilities are all new, updated, top shelf. The bathrooms were palatial, with huge, wallk-in showers. The sitting room of our suite was huge, with a great bar/refrigerator setup that we used to entertain all our guests. When the bride and groom returned to their suite after the wedding, they found chocolates, champagne and rose petals strewn about - how nice was that?? As to the service, I cannot say enough. From the moment we entered the property, the doorman was SO helpful, to the front desk people, the housekeeping staff, and everyone inbetween. All the personnel who helped out on the day of the wedding were wonderful - they all kept coming up to the bride and wishing her the best, hugging her, etc. I tried to offer a tip to one of the helpers who brought up snacks for the bridesmaids, and he said "you really don't need to do that - this is our job". They brought extra mirrors, lighting for the makeup, a certain kind of beer for the groomsmen - even found a toothbrush for the bride at the last minute! The wedding reception went off flawlessly, and I have never received so many compliments on the food. It was perfectly timed, served, and presented. We had 2 beef dishes, fish, and a vegetarian selection, and they were delicious! The appetizers at cocktail hour were also outstanding - very creative, beautiful to look at, and easy to handle. It truly was a perfect event, and I don't say that often! Thank you, University Club!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank sunnywesthartford
New York, NY
Reviewed 4 June 2013

Amazing location. Lovely historic and "old boys club" feel to the architecture and interior spaces which is a welcome change from the identikit modern hotels of today. That said, the actual rooms were very updated and contemporary.

We stayed in an interior room and the room was supremely small (barely large enough for two people with 2 carry on size bags!). The widows were all frosted and didn't open so be prepared for that. That said, the value for the location and overall quality was definitely impressive. I would love to stay here again (probably with an exterior view!). The amenities were also quite expansive and likely better than most other high end hotels in the city - squash rooms, a beautiful new gym overlooking the park, a few options for restaurants/bars with a view, a golf center, a large business center, exercise studios/weight room and swimming pool/sauna. You won't be disappointed!

A word to the wise, there is a dress code on the week days so bring appropriate clothes. If anything, this hotel caters more to the business traveller.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank islabery
Columbia, Missouri
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Stayed for a wedding with the family. For a family stay, this is probably not a great choice but for business, great location, great historic relevance - this is an excellent environment. Considering the age of the Club, the rooms are reasonably sized and there wasn't any difficulty fitting a family of 4 into a 2-bed room. The workout facilities are excellent and provide a great view of the lake and downtown Chicago. But perhaps my favorite parts were the wedding reception in the Club library (8th floor) and then dinner in the ballroom (9th floor). The staff in each instance, was outstanding and the views across the lake are unbelievable.

Overall, this is by no means a modern marvel, but the history, the location and the service made this an excellent visit to an amazing city.

The one caveat to our stay would be that we did not have any hot water on our last morning and were not offered any compensation or apology during check-out.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank BoCoMoTiger
Maryland
Reviewed 7 March 2013

I and two of my staff planned to stay in the University Club for three nights each, to coincide with a two-day conference we were holding there in early March. Turns out, a snowstorm in Chicago necessitated an extra day's stay, and a snowstorm back home added yet another day.

As many reviewers have noted, this is a club for business people, not a hotel for families with toddlers in tow. If you know that in advance, the stay is sensational. Since I was running a business conference, I planned to be in business attire all the time anyway, so I was at no risk of running afoul of their wardrobe guidelines.

The second you walk into the club you want to put on a tweed jacket and retire to the extensive library (situated on one of the top floors) and hunker down with "The Fall of the House of Usher" in front of the fireplace. (I did just that after my conference ended.) The whole facility is imbued with that "club" feel.

Conference facilities were first-rate, and so was the attention and service provided by staff. We used the Madison Room, if I recall correctly, an elegant space that seated 75 easily in "rounds." Wifi access in the room was good, and A/V support was perfect.

I was fortunate enough to room in a junior suite, and the experience was wonderful. The bed was huge and comfortable, and the shower was a dream: one of those rainfall-like showers with the "nozzle" (more the size and shape of a manhole cover) directly overhead, dumping steady streams of hot water. There are so many soaps, shampoos, creams, etc that I thought I was in a spa.

By far my favorite part of the experience was the athletic facilities. [Skip a few paragraphs down if this topic doesn't interest you!] Some hotels have a single room with a rusty bike, a worn treadmill, and mix-and-match dumbbells. The University Club has a whole floor dedicated to squash and cardio; another floor dedicated to free weights, exercise machines, resistance equipment, etc; and a third floor with a pool and two cardio rooms. It is all free for guests.

Since I had some extra time due to the snowfall, I took two of their athletic classes. I've been working out for 30 years, and these were two of the best classes I've ever taken. I'm going to try to get my gym back home to adopt them. A guy named Tim ran a speed and agility class whereby the class did sprints, shuffles, cone drills, ladder drills, jumping drills, etc for an exhausting hour workout. We finished the class by playing a type of floor hockey with a rubber ball and rubber mallets, which worked on all the lateral and driving movements we had done in class.

Another class, by a guy named Tom, ran us through a circuit similar to Crossfit: 3 minutes on, 40 seconds off on each apparatus. Exercises included kettle bells raises, burpees, rowing, squats, clean and press, Russian twists, bear crawls attached to a pulley, etc. I'm still feeling it the next day.

It's easy not to have to traipse through the club in your athletic gear. There are locker rooms on the various floors, and they are filled with every tonic, ointment, grease, spray, and salve known to man, including Vitalis, which I thought was gone by the 1970s. There is even trail mix for a post workout snack.

As for food, I didn't try the restaurants, only the catering for our event. The sliders and sushi were delicious, and everything else was very good. The club is so centrally located (and one block from the El) that I decided to leave the facility to sample the many excellent Chicago restaurants.

In sum, I sort of wish it was still snowing so I could be curled up in the library or taking a fitness class with Tim or Tom.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank mgips
Cincinnati
Reviewed 5 March 2013

This is a great old, historic building right off Michigan Avenue, across from the Art Institute of Chicago and lose to everything.

For the business traveler, it is first class all the way, but if you are a tourist or bringing a family, you might want to skip this hotel.

But for people traveling on business, this is what you want -an outstanding staff, close to everything, and it is QUIET!

They have a couple restaurants, but there are plenty of great ones itching walking distance.

But to give you an example how great this hotel is, the public men's room has a variety of personal products ( mouthwash, hand lotion, hair supplies, etc) and even a shoe-shine machine!

I would highly recommend this hotel for anyone visiting on business.

Room Tip: The rooms, as the whole hotel, is old, but well maintained. They have a room at the lowest rate c...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business