“Hated the Hard Rock”

Hard Rock Hotel Chicago
Ranked #114 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 19 March 2008

The stay here was terrible. The room was dark - the walls and furnishings were all grey. The lighting was poor. It was just an ugly room. No coke machines on the floors forced you to buy from the mini bar @ $4 for a canned coke. The lobby smelled like Chinese food because of the China grill located on the bottom floor. I could go on and on about how much I disliked this hotel. The highlight of our trip was running into Potsie Webber from Happy Days in the elevator. Do yourself a favor and don't book here.

Postscript: the Hard Rock Hotel is located at the far end of Michigan Avenue across the river. Not suitable for walking to shopping destinations ,etc..

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank sassygirl123Usa

Reviewed 17 March 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Hard Rock over St. Patrick's Day weekend. We flew in pretty early so we were expecting not to be able to check into our room until later on that day. To our suprise, the room was ready we we got there. They did have a place that they would hold your luggage if the room wasn't ready. The staff were also very nice. They were able to answer all of our questions and give great recommendations for food. The room wasn't huge, but it was perfect for us. The king size bed was amazing and the most comfortable bed I have ever slept on in a hotel. The lighting was very dim in the room, but we like that kind of atmosphere. I know people complained about not being able to put make up on, but the lighting in the bathroom was much better to do that. The location was wonderful. It was an easy walk to pretty much anything. We got a discount rate through Travelocity so it was definately worth the price. I would probably not pay the full price to stay again, but if I got a deal I would be back in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 March 2008

A truly pleasant surprise. Nothing to complain about really!

Had the basic King Size Bed room, which is about 350 sq feet I think. Not a bad view from the upper floors (23rd), facing the new Trump building - ok, would've been better if would've faced Michigan Ave for example, but I'm not complaining.

The hotel is, as probably everybody has already said, filled with various rock memorabilia like rock stars' guitars, and is decorated with various monochrome pictures of rock stars on walls, the mirrors in the rooms and the bathroom wall. The colors repeated throughout the hotel are lots of gray and black, dark brown. It's also kinda dimly lit. Some people haven't liked it, I dug it.

The room itself had a REALLY comfortable king size bed; an old school TV set with a dvd player, a mock black "crocodile skin" recliner/chair, a long desk, full bodysize mirrors (one on the wall, the other on the closet). Basic stuff really. I think the more expensive rooms have more modern TV's... This room was also really quiet.

Some people justify spending less on a hotel room by saying, "well, what do you need a fancy hotel room for, after all we just go there to sleep". Well - a lousy hotel experience can ruin the entire trip, don't you agree? I can't tell you how nice it was to to come home from the cooold Chicago weather, into the warm room, take a warm shower in the nicely sized and modern bathroom, slip into the bathrobe and then climb in the SUPER comfortable bed. And I got a really decent rate on Priceline, the nightly rate wasn't even close to the one quoted here for example.

Location is great, right downtown on N Michigan Ave. Within walking distance to a lot of places and restaurants, and the closest subway station is almost around the corner. To top it all, I found the staff friendly, at least at the front desk.

Maybe not "luxury"...well it might be, if you book a suite or something...but at least I was very pleasantly surprised and would stay again.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 February 2008

I was searching for a nice hotel for a weekend getaway to go see the Blue Man Group while visiting Chicago. We chose the Hard Rock, because my husband didn't want a place where "grandma would stay" so chose to stay here. I booked the stay online at the hotel website about a month before the stay. I checked the rates on the rooms 2 days before we scheduled to stay, and found that a better was available at the rate I booked a lower-grade room, So I called and had it upgraded to the next level for the same rate. It was a simple phone call and I'm glad I did it! We upgraded to a room with a view. It was awesome. We looked straight north on Michigan ave.
We used the valet parking service. For $45 a night with no limit on in-out. So that was wonderful! The staff was very friendly and willing to help with luggage or anything else we might have needed. The hotel is darker. It gives the Hard Rock a distinctive feel and look tha no hotel I've been to gives. The elevators are nice and quick so that is nice.
We stayed on the 21st floor and had 1 king sized bed. The rooms dont have a lot of overhead lighting, so if you need light to work, I suggest a different hotel. The rooms were very clean, the bedding was nice and soft, and very comfortable.
The mini bar and snack drawer have everything on sensors, and if you don't want to pay $4 for a can of pop for $6.50 for a bottle of beer, I suggest you walk the one block west (directly one block to the next corner from where the bellmen stand) to the 7-11 and buy a can of pop for 89 cents and a 6 pack of beer for $6.99. We just filled the sink in the bathroom with ice, and it worked perfect! And saved us a lot!
We did have a few drinks in the hotel bar, and it was $10 for a mixed drink, and $5 for a bottle of beer, so watch your tab! It adds up quick!
The gift shop is nice with lots of merchandise and neat things.
We didn't eat at the China Grill since we were so close to so much food and shopping!
There isn't a ton of rock memorbilia, but there is a case of a rocker's things about every floor, so definately look at the listing in your room of the items to visit your favorites!
We ate at Giordanos, one block to the southeast on Michigan ave. It was delicious deep pizza, and only $20 for both my husband and I to eat and drink! Very good!
There is a bakery 2 blocks north on Michigan ave that serves excellent breakfast and there is Potbelly Sandwhiches closeby too, YUM! So much food. Perfect spot!! Visit! It is great!

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank chhouy
Reviewed 21 February 2008

We decided to go to Chicago for valentines day weekend because of the great deal through priceline, and the hard rock just so happened to be part of our package. I was concerned because of the other reviews, but we loved it!!!! The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The printing service downstairs was great for last minute maps or menus. The bar was romantic and perfect for the occasion. We could see right up the mag mile from our room. It was not too dark due to the huge window in our room, and I would rather have that than more lamps in the room. I thought the location was great because we were steps from the mag mile, but we were also in the loop. We will stay at the hard rock again!

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 February 2008

I stayed at the Hard Rock Chicago for one night on business. The room was comfortable enough, and the view was great - overlooking the Chicago River. Furnishings, however, seemed a little old, especially the dresser and TV stand. Bed was comfortable, TV itself is about a 27" old school set.

The bathroom was spacious, but the shower has no partition between it and the rest of the bathroom. I suppose this would be ok if there were some way to keep the water splattering over the rest of the bathroom floor, but as it happened I wound up mopping up the floor with my bath towel.

The holographic image of John and Yoko overlooking the bed seemed a bit much, but it didn't actually bother me as much as I thought it would.

Bar is pretty cool, and the location can't be beat. Building itself is neat, also.

All in all - the Hard Rock Chicago tries REALLY hard to be hip and cool, and it shows.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 February 2008

The rumors are true: The rooms are definitely dark. Like, really dark. I wasted a good ten minutes trying to find a light switch, before I realized it was all for dramatic effect ... which was a little strange and unnecessary. I ended up keeping the light on in the bathroom, in order to prepare for my Monday meeting.

But everything else was top-notch -- with the absolute highlight being the view from my corner room on the 27th floor down toward Mag Mile. Ridiculously amazing. It was my first time to Chicago, so it was definitely sweet to be able to walk right outta the hotel onto Michigan Avenue, and see the sights I'd been hearing about.

Overall, a very cool place to stay, worthy of its landmark status.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled on business