“Gorgeous room, great view, and the BEST location!”
Review of St. Jane Hotel

St. Jane Hotel
Ranked #114 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 11 August 2009

Maybe my room was newly renovated, because it doesn't match the description of many of the reviews here. The room was bright, big, modern, and well decorated. I did pay an extra $20 for a "select" room. Maybe that's the difference. The corner room had four big windows which opened slightly and a great view of the river. A plasma TV sat on a very modern console. The bed and pillows were so comfortable, my wife wanted to buy one of the pillows. You can easily walk to the Chicago Art Institute, the "bean", and many other points of interest. WHen we asked the concierge for a recommendation for a nice place for a casual lunch and beer, he gave us a coupon for a free appetizer at the Emerald Loop Irish Pub, just blocks away. The food was so good, we ate there again the next day!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,765)

Reviewed 27 July 2009

You couldn't ask for more in a location for a hotel. We were able to get the rate of 189 so for the price and the half priced parking, it was a steal. I am not sure I would've paid any more than that for the hotel. We mainly paid for the location. It is walking distance from "the bean" and from all the shopping on Mag Mile and Water tower. If you needed a walgreens or cvs, there was one on every corner. The room itself is definitely older. I was expecting at least the tv to be updated. Room service is extremely over priced. We paid 70 dollars for two breakfasts, and a pot of coffee...if it wasn't supposed to be a romantic get a way I would've suggested to go to a coffee shop down the street. Check in was very easy along with valet parking. The staff was very helpful.

Reviewed 27 July 2009

Location is on North Michigan Ave between Millenium Park and Magnificant Mile. We are from New York City so it was like staying near Rock Center and 5th Avenue. Hotel is clean, staff is nice and there is a good bar scene. Skip the breakfast at China Grill in the mornings - it's nothing special and over priced and instead go to the Corner Street Bakery Cafe around the corner for better selection and price.
Drinks at the lobby bar are better than at China Grill but still pricey.

BEWARE of the mini-bar: it is weight sensored so don't try taking stuff out to put your own (less expensive) bottled water. It automatically charges the room if you take something out for more than 60 seconds. We had 2 $8.00 charges for bottled water that we didn't drink. The hotel glady reveresed the charge though.

Reviewed 26 July 2009

The location to this hotel was wonderful. Everything was in walking distance!

China Grill the restaurant next door was wonderful just a bit overpriced. Which it seems all nicer restaurants in Chicago are.

The hotel... Just like everyone said. The rooms were quite dark as if they are trying to hide something. Looking closer basically all furniture was old and scratched. From a distance or should I say in an online picture looks good. I was quite disappointed. It was not the typical Hard Rock.

I would only recommend this Hard Rock if they didn't care what type of hotel they stayed at.

Reviewed 16 July 2009

Great location and we managed to walk everywhere! Good location for shopping and sightseeing, as Navy Pier, Sear Tower, State Street and Magnificent Mile shopping is very near.

We had 2 rooms booked and arrived very early in the day and the hotel managed to check us in to 1 of our rooms, which was great and not anticipated by us at all. We were told that they had no connecting rooms or rooms next to each other and that we would be on the same floor, which was fine by us.

On entrance of the room, it looked clean and modern, but then at closer expectation, you notice the TV sets are out of date and the windows are not the easiest to open, without a fight or a slight chance of hurting yourself.
Also, we noticed the lighting is very low in the rooms, and I wasn’t sure if this was because they are trying to hide something or just give the whole hotel and dim lighted look, but in the rooms, the guest should have the choice on how low or high the lighting should be, especially if you have dropped an earring and can’t see anything, without your trusty pocket sized Maglite!

When we were unpacking, we noticed the in-room safe didn’t work and when we called down to report the fault, security was with us in under 5mins, which was excellent!

We dined at China Grill restaurant, which was next door to the hotel and we were not disappointed, we had a taster menu for around $60 each and managed to sample which looked like everything on their menu! Amazing, I must say that this was the best part of staying at this hotel and it wasn’t even run by Hard Rock!

We purchased merchandise from the Hard Rock store and the service there was good, we also had a good experience with the concierge.

My experience at the Base bar was bad. I had to wait over 20mins for service, he wasn’t very informative and turned his back on me and walked away half way through my drink order!

The day before check out I arranged for 1 of our rooms to have a late check out of 5pm, (for a fee) as our flight back wasn’t until 10pm. On arrival back to the hotel around 4pm, my room key wouldn’t work and I was locked out of the room for 30mins, as we hadn’t finished packing, this meant we would be delayed in vacating the room. 2 calls to front desk later and we finally entered the room, we paid not to be locked out of.

All these issue have been brought up with the hotel and I can say that they have replied to all my concerns with their acknowledgment.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank L'amour99
Reviewed 29 June 2009

My husband and I scored a deal here after a Hotwire mix-up and overall we were quite happy with our room. In my personal and humble opinion the staff were professional and prompt. We requested extra pillows and help with our room safe and we had barely made it off of the elevator and into our room before each of these requests were fulfilled. The staff were always able to make great recommendations in regards to which restaurants would best suit our tastes and price range which we were always satisfied with. There are many, many coffeehouses steps away from the hotel if the room service price list is too high for you. We were also advised at check-in to alert the staff if we disrupted the mini-bar and snack drawer by mistake and we had absolutely no trouble with either compartment during our week here.

Yes, the room was small and we had a great view of the ventilation system but this didn't matter in the least to us because we weren't in Chicago to spend all week couped up in a hotel. There are simply too many sights, tastes, and shopping to take in and after jam packed days we knew that we would always be arriving to a clean comfortable bed.

The only drawback for us was the inconsistency with which our paper was delivered. We requested a copy for each day during check-in but it seemed to be hit and miss every morning. Perhaps other guests on our floor were snagging ours before we could get to it.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 June 2009

The web site is sooo much better than reality. The lobby is okay. The room is dark and the decor is lacking. The bed is subpar to anything found at the sheraton or westin. I am in a southern facing room and window does not allow much light in during the day. I was out of the room during working hours and my room was never cleaned.

One thing that is puzzling is this is THE HARD ROCK yet the rooms have old TV's and rather LARGE 6 CD disk changer similar to one I had in the 1980s. You would think with the brand Hard Rock they would be the first with ipod radios in the room.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business