“Nice Hotel - Wonderful Staff”
Review of St. Jane Hotel

St. Jane Hotel
Ranked #114 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 13 October 2009

My husband and I recently visited the Hard Rock Hotel in Chicago for a recent convention that was actually at McCormick Place. We chose the Hard Rock for its reputation as a cool, unassuming hotel. We made the right choice. We were greeted enthusiastically by Angelo and were given a suite on the 26th floor. However, it didn't take us long to figure out that something was wrong. There was a consistent noise that kept rattling every few seconds. I called the front desk and immediately the engineer came up to investigate the problem. He assured me he would speak to the staff member at the front desk and she would get back to me - sure enough the phone rang minutes later with the determination that our room was close to a mechanical room and sound would continue. I was not happy, but Claudia (at the front desk) did an awesome job of relocating us, ultimately to a beautiful Tower Suite and giving us several passes for the beautiful breakfast buffet at the China Grill restaurant. All the staff here were professional, friendly and helpful. Even though we were less than pleased at first, they made every effort to make our stay exceptional - Demetrius was terrific at helping us with our luggage and the housekeeping staff kept everything neat and clean - even bringing up a new blow dryer quickly as the one in our room was only blowing cold air.
I would highly recommend this hotel. It was a great location, not your usual stuffy city hotel and my husband loved the "Check In Rock Out" program where he had a Custom Les Paul guitar to play for the duration of our stay - I hope they expand this program to other Hard Rock Hotels as we will be going to the Hard Rock in Orlando in February and both my son and husband would love to participate in this program there as well.
Thanks for a great time - we can't wait to get back!!!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,765)

Reviewed 12 October 2009

The check-in process was about the only part of the stay that was done well. Our room was not clean. There was trash from a previous guest in and on the chair in the corner of the room. There were “rings” from coffee or some other beverages on the night stands, and, the bathroom wall had a very prominent brown stain right above the light switch….I don’t want to think about what it might have been. We also noticed that the washcloths were frayed at the edges…when they reach this stage at our house we retire them to be used for housecleaning or washing the car…but we don’t use them on our bodies after they are obviously worn out. We also had no lotion in the bathroom…two conditioners we had….lotion we didn’t. Finally, there were some serious issues with the elevators on Saturday morning. On our way down, we took car 3 and pushed L for lobby….and the car went down to what it said was the 4th floor, but the doors would not open and did not open for a good 60 seconds. When they did, we were on the 5th floor, not the 4th as it said inside the elevator. We got off since that car seemed to be having issues and we did not feel safe in it. We pushed the button to call another elevator and waited nearly TEN minutes before one came, which was full. This was car number 1. We waited another five minutes and neither car 2 or 3 ever stopped on the 5th floor going up or down…. We called the front desk and the woman suggested we push another button when we asked if there was a problem after we had waited for five minutes. What we ended up doing was pushing the UP button, waited until car 1, apparently the only functional elevator came, and then rode up to the 25th floor just so we could get down to the lobby. The whole episode took fifteen minutes…just to leave the premises. Doubly irritating was the nearly $200 price tag on the room. We usually stay at the Palmer House or the Hampton Inn but they were full. The Hard Rock Hotel Chicago advertises itself as a 4 star property on Hotwire/Travelocity. Make no mistake about it, The Hard Rock Hotel Chicago is barely a 2 star hotel. We routinely stay at Hampton Inns as we travel and Hilton Garden Inns and these hotels always are well maintained and clean, and, offer good service, something that is lacking at the Hard Rock Hotel Chicago. We will make a point to avoid it in the future, and, make sure that we tell all of our friends that they would be better off staying elsewhere as well.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brian K
HardRockMGR, General Manager at St. Jane Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2009

We at the Hard Rock Hotel Chicago are extremely disappointed that this guest experienced cleanliness and elevator issues during their stay with us. We have extended our sincerest apology to the guest, who made us aware of the issues via an email to our concierge upon his departure. We are trying our best to find a resolution that will make it right for this particular visitor.

Even though our hotel is housed in a historic landmark building with many original items (including the elevators), it is rare that we have elevator problems of the magnitude that this guest experienced. We are truly sorry for the inconvenience it caused.

We do proudly display a four-star AAA diamond rating, and have recently passed our annual inspection with flying colors. We continue to believe that the value we offer for our price, which includes a complimentary business center, WiFi in guestrooms and public areas, a fitness center, and a gallery of authentic rock memorabilia, is excellent compared to our competitors.

John Price

Reviewed 11 October 2009

Staff was great, especially considering that we were there for three days including Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. I would have given this hotel three stars except for the staff. Wonderful room service breakfast on Christmas Day! The room decor and hallways were a little dingy, which really disappointed me, but it wasn't too bad. Great location for shopping and dining. Morton's is right next door and is amazing!

Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 October 2009

I would highly recommend this hotel if you get the right price. If you are here for either business or leisure, both the location and property are fantastic.

The bed was super comfortable, but the pillows smelled kind of odd - like they were musty or something? You can definitely tell that the room is worn - carpet and walls a bit stained a in one or two places - but it was very clean. The bed was immaculate and the furniture was fun. I agree the place is a bit dark, but aren't most hotel rooms these days? I thought it was funny that the television had mtv, but I missed the wider array of news channels! I must admit, the sound system on the flat screen was quite nice! I even enjoyed the HUGE picture of Steve Tyler on my wall! ha.

I thought the bathroom was nicely appointed and roomy enough. The mirror was large enough to allow both my husband and I to get ready in the morning. I enjoyed the aveda products and the towels were nice. Had to call down for a bathrobe, but when it arrived it was very plush and comfy. I LOVED the fact that the hotel offered free internet. This is huge for me.

The fitness center was just okay. not great, but at least it had some free weights. the only thing I was pretty not happy with was the parking situation. I just think 50 dollars a night for parking is ridiculous! especially when it is several blocks away and takes more than 20 minutes to get your car! seriously, people?

I went for a work conference (didn't want to stay in the conference hotel), but stayed an extra day to tour around with my husband. did I mention the location is fabulous? It is RIGHT on Michigan avenue and you can walk to anywhere touristy. The staff is extremely helpful with maps and recommendations, etc. I didn't try the china grill, so can't comment on that.
we paid around 150 a night to stay here. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 October 2009

Stayed at the Hard Rock in September. The rooms were clean with nice furnishings. Loved the Aveda room amenities. Service was great with the exception of one morning when I called down to order room service for breakfast at 6:00am. A lady answered the phone and said "Can I have someone phone you back? I am the only person working right now." She did not sound happy. No one called me back. Perfect location just south of the river and right on Michigan Ave. I felt safe walking at night as there were many people still out there. There is a Walgreens located across the street. There are endless places to dine nearby. Overall, I enjoyed my stay at the Hard Rock.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 October 2009

I just stayed at Hard Rock this past weekend for a family wedding and it was fantastic. We flew in Thursday since my husband and I had never been to Chicago. The rooms/hallways are a bit dark but its dramatic and what I expected for Hard Rock. It really wasn't an issue..after all we were there to see the city not the room. However, I have a horrible back and this is the first time in a long time I woke up in a hotel and my back felt refreshed, even after walking the city for 8-9 hours the day before. The concierge was super helpful. All the staff was super nice. The Base bar had a super loud party Friday night when we got back from a family dinner, but by the time you got around the corner to the elevators it was significantly muffled and our rooms were very quiet. They have very thick floor to ceiling drapes that are great in the morning - they block everything! The rooms were much bigger than I thought. Bathrooms were a bit tight, but were clean and thats all that really matters to me. I mean how much time do you really spend in the bathroom anyways! I am a stickler for clean hotels and Hard Rock impressed me. Our room was very clean, housekeeping seemed meticulous. It is only a short block to Millenium Park, tons of restaurants and Magnificent Mile. We were never disrupted and truly enjoyed our stay. I would stay here again in a heartbeat! Thanks Hard Rock for a great weekend!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 October 2009

I was a little concerned about the hotel after reading some of the negative reviews, but for the most part they were overblown.

The hotel is in an historic Art Deco building in a fabulous location right on Michigan Ave. The room is very nice with a very comfortable bed, a large flat screen tv with excellent audio and a clean modern bathroom. The only negative about the room is that it's too dark. We had to call housekeeping to ask for an additional lamp, which they said they couldn't bring until the next day, but managed to find and bring to us quickly.

The high speed Internet is wired and wireless in the room and free. That's a biggie for me and quite nice.

The fitness room in the basement is fairly well equipped with some nice conveniences like headphones with disposable foam covers, but guess what? It's too dark in there too. What's with this darkness in the hotel? Is it supposed to be romantic? I don't need my room or the fitness center to be romantic.

The China Grill is a top notch restaurant that's attached to the hotel through the lobby -- great if you want a fine meal without having to put on a coat or find an umbrella.

The only other annoying thing I can think of is that there was no notification to my room that packages had arrived for me. They should have put a paper notice or had the light blink on my phone. I had to call and ask if any packages had arrived for me. What if I didn't know? Just an annoying little lapse in service.

Overall, I would definitely recommend the hotel. I give it a 9, but not a 10.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business