“Awesome family weekend!”

Ranked #105 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
Cental IL
“Awesome family weekend!”
Reviewed 19 March 2010

My husband and I took our 8 year old daughter for a weekend in Chicago. The Hard Rock was a great place to stay. Perfect location! The staff was very attentive and met our every need. We got their mid-day and wanted a bit to eat before heading out on the town. Base Bar was the perfect place to go. The bartender made a special "cocktail" for our daughter and she really got a kick out of it. Great decor thru out the whole place. Very modern! You can check out different guitars to take to your room. My husband was in heaven! China Grill's breakfast buffet is your typical hotel breakfast buffet. Although, again the wait staff went beyond their "norm" and offered to make pancakes for us, which weren't on the buffet. If you're looking for a hip place to stay, THIS is it!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (431)
  • Polish first
iowa
Reviewed 1 March 2010

The hotel itself was great. Location was good, beds & pillows were very comfy, room service was great(food and service), maid service was great. Hotel was very clean. The only real complaint I would have would be the LACK of lighting....very dull. The most light there is is in the bathroom and even that was not very bright. If I was traveling on business and having to work from my room I would not have been happy.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
HardRockMGR, General Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Chicago, responded to this review, 12 March 2010
Thanks to this guest for leaving an honest review of their Hard Rock Hotel Chicago experience on Tripadvisor.

Many guests comment on the lighting in our guestrooms, which were designed to emulate a “nightclub” feel, with expansive views of the city lights to complement the dimly-lit interiors. We understand that many guests, especially those trying to work in the rooms, need more lighting to make the room functional for them. In our upcoming room renovation (scheduled for 2010) we will be addressing the lighting design – for the time being we can eagerly rush up additional lamps should our guests wish a brighter room.

John Price
ohio
Reviewed 1 March 2010

Nice hotel, located in good spot, clean, comfortable, everyone was very helpful and polite. Had a upgraded King Suite, little light, little small, no door on shower (it is the style) not a fan. I would recommend staying...Nice bar inside with staff.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed 28 February 2010

I stayed for 6 nights at the Hard Rock Hotel in Chicago and I enjoyed it.

The room was spacious and I was lucky enough to have a nice view of the river. The bed was really nice, I have some back problems and I was expecting to wake up feeling some pain but it never happened. The flat screen TV was also a nice plus. The bathroom was also large, the pressure of the shower was a bit capricious but I attributed to the early morning rush.

The main minor drawback was the lack of light in the room. I had already read about it on tripadvisor but I thought that people were being peaky but honestly, they were right. If I were to be staying there for a weekend, it would have been fine but since I was there on business for a week, it meant that when I went back to the hotel, I would fall asleep. That is how dark it was. In the morning, I had to move the suitcase in the bathroom in order to find my clothes. My friend, to whom I described it to, said that maybe it was only for rockstars that do not not need light! ;-) OK, jokes aside, it was hard to spend time in the room at night, unless I was lying in bed watching TV.

The second minor complaint on my part was the maid service was inconsistent. The first day I had taken out a bag with a pillow and the throw from the closet because it was cold and the next day, it was still on the floor and the throw was not folded, I found it a bit weird. The bathroom floor was not always very clean but the service improved over the week so maybe it was a one-time thing, I did not even bother to complain.

My check-in and check-out was very easy and hassle-free, I have no more comments on the service, since I did not eat or use room service.

Overall, I would say that the hotel is ideal for a weekend trip in the city, the location is amazing, close to shopping and restaurants. I guess it would also work for business travelers, just add some more floor lamps in the rooms.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
We appreciate the honest feedback we receive from guests who leave a review on Tripadvisor. It truly allows us to prioritize what our guests want and need for our upcoming renovations in 2010, and more lighting is definitely on the list.

Our guestrooms were designed to convey a feeling of “city nightlife” with muted overhead lighting and small reading lights. Many of our guests love the ambience and appreciate the way the interiors of the rooms complement the city lights outside, but we realize that for many guests – namely those trying to work in their rooms or prepare themselves for a night on the town – this design can create some frustrations.

Therefore we suggest that any guest wishing a brighter room get in touch with the front desk so we can eagerly rush up additional lighting for them, which we have purchases specifically in response to these concerns.

John Price
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 28 February 2010

WOW! This hotel was amazing. If you live/love music, this is where you should stay! The rooms are stylish but very comfortable. You can't beat being on Michigan Avenue. You can walk to everything! We were there for the Obama Rally on Nov. 4th and to see a show. I would stay here every night if I could!

Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
Laguna Beach, California
Reviewed 25 February 2010

Stayed here for V Day weekend. Avg nightly price was $107/nite. Staff was professional, I asked for a view room on check in and was accomodated. The concierge was great and helped us out with everything.

Ate at China Grill in the hotel - awesome cuisine. Its pricey but you do get a 20% discount if staying in the hotel

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
New York, NY
Reviewed 16 February 2010

This hotel was just OK. It was a good value, since I got a great rate on Expedia. Had I paid full price, it would not have been worth it. The rooms are VERY small, as is the lobby. I thought this would be a very lively, party hotel. It really wasn't. The lobby was very small and the bar was not has hopping as I had expected.

Another note on security - the elevators are a little separated from the front desk. There is an entrance by the front desk and another by the elevators. There is no real security near the door by the elevators and they do not lock it late at night. My friends and I were waiting for an elevator and an old lady ended up getting in the elevator with us, following us to our floor, all the while telling us a sob story about how her car was towed and she needed money to get it and ended up walking away with $40. We had been out for the evening partying, so clearly were not a skeptical as we should have been and she did look normal, but the hotel's security should have not allowed this person to enter the hotel if they were not a guest. Although the hotel was apologetic and did send security to search the floors for her, I feel it may have been avoided, if the door by the elevator was locked at night.

Not a bad hotel. The location was great. But the hotel itself was nothing special.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends