“Not so kid friendly”

Ranked #107 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Kokomo, IN
“Not so kid friendly”
Reviewed 15 December 2010

The hotel seemed "posh" or swanky. It was nice and clean but not kid friendly. There isn't a pool or hot tub and the rooms are small. Which, small rooms are typical in Chicago I suppose. The staff was very helpful, however, we went to check in at 3p and our room wasn't available. I left my diamond necklace in the room after check out and the housekeeping staff did mail it back to me which was a good surprise and kudos for honesty! If you want to be in the heart of magnificant mile, this isn't the location. You really want to be up at least 3 block north. If no other hotel was available I would stay here again but not w/ my teenage boys.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (437)
  • Polish first
Shreveport, Louisiana
Reviewed 11 December 2010

It was very conveniently located for my business trip, but I guess it just wasn't what I was expecting. It was very metallic and chilly for me. Too much gray and chrome all over the place...the halls, the walls, everything was black or gray. The room was not cozy or inviting but rather very stark, dark, and contemporary. It just wasn't appealing to me at all. The city noise was a little disturbing. The staff was very friendly and helpful though. They were very attentive and answered all my questions about restaurants, transportation, etc. Perhaps a younger customer on a leisure trip might find it perfect!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
Bexley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 December 2010

After a very long journey into Chicago the day before Thanksgiving, taking 3 hours to drive 10 miles into the city - we eventually found the Hard Rock Hotel. Finding it wasn't easy but very much worth it. Pulling up outside, the valet parking is wonderful but expensive at $49 a night. Buth the inside of the hotel was amazing but then there were the staff who were a tad standoffish. But the hotel is full of so much memorabilia that you can't help but marvel in your surroundings. On every floor, there is something from another band.
The room was huge with a gorgeous bathroom on the 9th floor of a possible 30.
But everything in the hotel was extra, including the WiFi in the room. However, there was a brilliant business centre on the 3rd floor where the internet was free at all times. And there were 2 computers that were free in the reception area.

The hotel was in a great position in the centre of Chicago. Great for shopping & eating.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Grand Rapids MI
Reviewed 6 December 2010

From the time we booked our hotel room, to the time we left, we were impressed. I have nothing but good things to say about the staff at the front desk, the concierge counter, and our stay. We were upgraded to a larger corner room upon check-in even though we purchased our hotel stay thru a travel site and got a deal on the room. We couldn't believe the room for what we paid, it was great.
The service was great, they provided us with an early check in, a late check out, directions to pizzerias, and even brought a DVD player up to our room and hooked it up while we were out shopping. The Base bar was a great place for a drink and to just relax, great service and music.
They really made us feel like rock stars. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 30 November 2010

Enjoyed my stay. Room for improvement for some of the staff members at the front desk, qust service was great, room was very small felt like I was in a match box with a lucky strike city view for a upgrade from a standard king to double city view,and floor was stained and dirty. Love the hotel itself would stay again.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
New Mexico
Reviewed 30 November 2010

I got very good rate for two nights on Priceline's Name Your Own Price. Always a gamble, but I was not disappointed. Clean, modern decor with two large windows facing north, so I had partial view of the river. Check-in was efficient. Had requested foam pillows and that had been taken care of. Quiet room. Just a few blocks from "L" station from airport. Easy walk to anything in Loop area. Flat screen TV, but remote was slow.
Business center had two computers with free internet, so I could check e-mail and print boarding pass. Staff was courteous and professional.
Didn't see any rockers, mosly businessmen.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 22 November 2010

I just returned from my stay at the Hard Rock Chicago. I really wanted to fall in love with this hotel and be able to write you a glowing review but sadly, I cannot.

I stayed in room 1217, which is a massive corner room with a king size bed. It had 4 huge windows that provided me with a view of Millennium Park. It also had trendy furniture and art. All of these qualities were wonderful, but unfortunately this is where the positives end.

This room is directly beside the ice machine, and I don't mean it's close - I mean the ice machine is 6 inches from the door of the room. On the other side of the door, opposite the ice machine, was the entrance to what I think was the housekeeping storage for the floor. When I opened the door to the room, I found that the head of the bed was situated right beside the door (about 3-4 feet). This made it very noisy and created a lot of disturbance in the evenings and morning with people at the ice machine and housekeeping going in and out of the storage room. I found it puzzling that the decision had been made to put the bed right beside the door, as with such a large room it would have been possible to move it further from the noise of the machine.

As far as the cleanliness goes, there was a large permanent stain in the carpet between the bed and the bathroom. The walls had many small scuffs and dents, and the wall beside the tub had bubbled from moisture damage. In addition to this, the room had an unpleasant stale smell to it.

I have heard that they are rennovating the rooms, so I'm sure they will clean up the walls and carpet. There is a chance that I might try staying there again after the renovations, but given the room noise and smell, I'd probably look elsewhere before thinking of going back.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo