“NEVER STAY HERE”

Ranked #158 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Wilmington, Delaware, United States
“NEVER STAY HERE”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2012

I travel to many different places, cities, states and I don't need to stay at 5star or even 3 star place but I do need to stay where I feel safe! The Amber Inn is a outdated MOtel, the rooms are out dated and dirty (includes burn marks on the toilet seats) It is in a terible part of town that Chicago Police officers told me NOT to even go into. As I entered the "lobby" I noticed the bullet proof glass between me and the check in person and the lady who asked to rent the room by the hour. DO NOT STAY HERE IF YOU WANT TO BE SAFE OR CLEAN. I didnt even feel good sitting on the bed.......

best thing about it? the Soul Food Restaurant next door

Room Tip: Price line the day of! That is what I did and got a nice room in the heart of downtown, safe and cle...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
7 Thank Kate302

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Turkish first
Hermosa Beach, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012 via mobile

This place is in the ghetto, but we only paid $60-70/night. Our room was outdated but clean, and the AC worked well. However, the shower water pressure was weak, the bathroom fluorescent light flickered constantly, and the front desk staff was rude. The police came to deal with a fight in the room next door to us.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank thecentrecannothold

Travellers are raving about these Chicago hotels

Taylor, MI
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2012

I chose this spot for a 3-day trip to Chicago with my family of 4, after my usual research on tripadvisor and checking a dozen or so area hotels (most were booked). Many of the other reviews here got it right. I suppose you could rate it anywhere from "Poor" to "Very Good" depending on your expectations.

Pros:

Inexpensive
Clean, large rooms
Comfortable beds
Public transportation into downtown area
Good restaurant
Free parking
Free wi-fi
Staff friendly/helpful

Cons:

A few miles from downtown
Little to do in the vicinity
Safety concerns leaving the hotel at night

Each of those cons have to do with location, and in fact had the Amber Inn been closer to downtown it would be a terrific bargain. Our safety concerns were more than just paranoia--both the desk clerk and a CTA employee advised us to take a taxi when returning to the hotel late at night. The hotel seems secure (access to hallways/elevators is locked, only one way in and out the parking lot, in direct view of the main office) but the Indiana station, a short walk away, takes you past some gated buildings and a vacant lot. The streets also do not appear to be very well lit.

In short, the Amber Inn was fine as an inexpensive place to sleep and park, but we would have enjoyed Chicago more if its vibrant nightlife had been more accessible during our stay.

The restaurant, Pearl's Place, deserves its own review. My son and I had breakfast here both mornings. Their specialty is Chicken and Waffles, though they have a variety of selections including staples such as eggs, omelettes, pancakes, and french toast. A buffet is also available. They serve homemade biscuits with real butter when you arrive. I had the pancakes, which tasted like real buttermilk pancakes, and were delicious. Maple syrup was served warm, a nice touch. Prices are reasonable, the restaurant is clean and nicely decorated. I'd happily go back to Pearl's Place if I am ever in the area again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank jcs313
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

We call from airport and the clerk gives us a longer train route instead of one 2 blocks away. The clerk had an attitude. The comforter had burn spots on it. Not the safest area in chicago. Security guard was polite. If going for lollapalooza, you'll probably have a small crowd there. Bathroom was below standards. Tube tv, old carpet, layers of paint and diisasstrous. Affordable but not the best place to stay. Pay a lil bit more and get better quality. Instead of amber inn, we got one further from the loop but twice as many stars for just over a hundred.

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank enrique v
Gurnee, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

This was a last minute stay over the weekend after a party. The room was decent, seemed to be a smoking room which was stuffy. Bathroom tub was somewhat dirty and water pressure is very low. I would stay again as a last minute hotel but if I had time to reserve beforehand I'd pass on this one.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Shauny874
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

During our housewares shows at McCormick, I flew in from London, England.
Just minutes away, could go back and forth if needed. I found out I was not far from downtown
Chicago; we also had a seminar scheduled to discuss upcoming events. It was also walking distance to the beach area. Excellent service. Clean rooms. Polite staff.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Lecoy M
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2012

I enjoyed my stay at the Amber. the reason for such a high score is this...
They are a "CLASS ACT". They have clean rooms, excellent service from employees.

I have stayed at the other hotels in the area, in the same price range, MY MISTAKE.
When I went to the one on 80th & Stony Island and the one on 63rd & King Drive.
I closed my door and prayed for the sun to come out before leaving.

AT THE AMBER, I felt more secure. The staff made me fell at home. I was able to go about checking out what restaurants, museums or other sights were nearby. As I mentioned this
hotel is family oriented. They have many size rooms for when you come to town.
Just check it out for your self.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business