“How a hotel makes a person feel is priceless!”
Review of Kinzie Hotel

Kinzie Hotel
Ranked #22 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 16 May 2011

A stylish boutique property located in downtown Chicago, the Amalfi Hotel Chicago offers a unique hotel experience. From the moment I walked in the door and was greeted with a huge smile and a wonderful personality sitting at the desk - the lady called me by name because she remembered me from November. Impressive!

The hotel concierge were a hoot and so much fun. Nothing but the most polite and well mannered men working at the doors - we had so much fun with them. The kindness of the older gentleman who took the umbrella and walked us the the pub next door was just plainly awesome.

House keeping kept the rooms super clean and I had not one complaint at all with the way the house was cleaned.

Then I had a knock on the door and a young man stood with amenity's of dipped strawberries, fresh baked chocolate chip cookies and a bottle of water. What an awesome surprise that really made the trip start off with a bang!

Thank you Amalfi Hotel Chicago for making this country girls visit to the big city such a pleasure to visit. I will be seeing you again.

2  Thank AngelaMBrooks

Reviewed 12 May 2011

I visit/work in Chicago one week per month+ and have stayed at several hotels in the downtown Chicago River North area. On this trip I was traveling with my wife and we decided to try a different hotel. First, we have a corner room. All windows face allys and brick walls. Nothing here was completely awful, but more like average to less than average and I am a very tollerable person. Also - if you are travelinig on business, make sure you get a receipt from the front desk as the one under your door only has the parking on it - which was the straw that broke the . . . . that compelled me to write this review.

4  Thank myronkjr1963
AmalfiHotelChicago, Guest Experience Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2011

As a frequent Chicago visitor, we thank you for choosing the Amalfi and are glad that our River North location was convenient for you. Regarding your comments on the view, I apologize if this was a disappointment. The majority of our corner rooms do offer city views; however, some are limited because of our central location and the surrounding downtown buildings.

Also, when using third-party travel providers, reservations and payments are made directly between the guest and that website at the time of booking. It is these providers (Expedia or Orbitz for example) that handles the room charge and can provide copies of your prepaid receipt. Only incidental charges, which in this case applied to parking, are accounted for in a separate billing statement.

The management team appreciates your business and honest feedback. Please contact me personally to discuss your concerns in detail and so that we may show our commitment to a positive guest experience.

Melissa Driza - Guest Experience Manager
mdriza@amalfihotelchicago.com
(312)395-9021

Reviewed 12 May 2011

Amalfi Hotel is an oasis wihtin a sea of mediocre, run of the mill chain hotels and motels in Chicago. Conveniently located across from Harry Caray's it's a short walk to lots of restaurants and all the places one needs when in downtown. Purposefully designed to be different, the hotel appears as a hip entrance to a jazz club or swanky apartment rather than a typical hotel lobby. With it's Convenience Architects and Experience Designers the hotel staff strives to ensure a comfortable stay and deliver a high-level of service. The rooms are spacious with comfy KIngs, flat screens and breakfast served too. Free wireless internet and a simple desk and supportive leather desk chair provide ample opportunity to get business done.

Undoubtedly the best part of the experience is the nightly Evening Reception. Hosted by Kenneth Simpson, Leisure & Libations Coordinator, the mix-master serves up warm smiles and cool drinks to provide a relaxing end to the workday and a crank-start to the evening. Ken creates a friendly atmosphere which helps you feel like you entered a party in your honor. The Italian Coastal starters which are served make you feel like your visiting Amalfi. Served up with the latest sports and smooth jazz, I wish the party didn't end a t 7pm. Ken always sends you off with a smile, handshake and a heartfelt, "Be Safe!" All the best to him and my friends at the Amalfi Hotel Chicago. Nice job, Brian Cooney! Best, Rob W.

Reviewed 7 May 2011

Very clean rooms and lobby with a decent breakfast on each floor. I missed the evening cocktails so I cannot comment. Great artwork. This is a central location for anyone who wants to see everything in Chicago. Decent Price compared to other hotels I looked at. My only complaint is that they had no vending machines. Obviously your supposed to buy what is in the mini fridge which most hotels expect. The good thing is that there is a 7/11 about 1-2 blocks away and actually a Trade Joe's 2-3 blocks away. Otherwise the front desk was very nice and valet was helpful getting cabs.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 May 2011

We stayed for 3 nights in early May. We booked the advance purchase rate for a corner room, and were upgraded to a two room suite. The room was large and comfortable with a nice, comfy bed. The furniture is a little old and beaten up, but not enough so that it was bothersome. We stayed on the 6th floor overlooking the corner of Dearborn and Kinzie and while there was street noise, it really wasn't bad at all (some honking and sirens, but we didn't hear the noise from the bar next door, luckily). The clock radio has an aux input, so we were able to play the white noise ipod app which helped drown out the street noise. I know a previous review said there were no blackout curtains, but we had them and they worked very well. We heard NO noise from other hotel guests from our room, even though there were people staying in all the rooms down the hall.

Breakfast was basic, but it was nice to have coffee and snacks just down the hall. We went to the cocktail hour one night, but found the martinis too sweet and the lines too long, so we skipped it the rest of the time.

The location was perfect for us...it is a short walk to the RED L station, a short walk to some great places to eat, and a reasonable walk to Michigan Ave (we walked to the Hancock Building). Accessing the buses was easy from this location as well. We would certainly stay here again!

The hotel offers free Wifi, but we just used the 3G on the ipad, so I can't comment on how well that worked.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 May 2011

I won a free stay at this hotel from a meeting planners convention. My husband and I are mid 20's newly weds and didn't want to spend any money on gas, so we booked some cheap Greyhound tickets from Indianapolis to Chicago. If we had driven, we would have had to pay over $40 just to park our car at the hotel for one night. The hotel is in a great location - if you're into nightlife. It's next to some awesome bars and restaurants and within walking distance to the river. Our room was nice with a King size bed, but we had a view of the alley way and brick building next to us. The view didn't phase us too much, since we had the room for free anyway. I was excited to hear that the hotel provided a free happy hour time, but was disappointed with the food - just salami slices and veggies and dip. The drinks were great though, and I thought the Amalfitini was pretty good. If you like Irish food, I suggest Fado - just down Clark street-best bread pudding I've ever had. I had a little trouble sleeping at night because I could hear the sirens from outside very clearly through our windows...we were only on the second floor, so I'm sure that had something to do with it. The breakfast the next morning was convenient and just what we needed. The line to check out was long, but there was a tour group there in front of us. However, the staff were very considerate and extremely helpful for tips on local transportation and where to go in the city. I also highly recommend the Lincoln Park Zoo. You can take the bus up there (2.25 per person for the bus) and it's free! Our trip was short, but Amalfi provided just what we needed.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 May 2011

Stayed at the Amalfi over Easter weekend with my wife and daughter. First visit to Chicago so we wanted a great location with easy access to everything. The Amalfi was perfect in that regard as it is right in the heart of Chicago. Walking distance to the Magnificent Mile, Millenium Park, great restaurants and coffee shops, and public transit. But what really did it was the hotel itself. We had a beautiful, spacious, comfortable room with 2 queen size beds. Breakfast is served on every floor - awesome idea! And the social hour every evening with appetizers and cocktails was great. The staff was extremely helpful with directions, suggestions, etc. Absolutely perfect stay and all for $129 a night - hard to believe!! One small note is that we used their valet parking and ditched the car for the entire stay. They charge $44 a day which may appear steep but in researching the area, it's well in line with downtown fees. Don't let this spoil your stay in this great hotel.

Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family