“Had high hopes, but it's just OK” 3 of 5 bubbles

Kinzie Hotel
Ranked #19 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Redwood City, California
“Had high hopes, but it's just OK”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2012

After reading a lot of reviews on the Amalfi, I had such high hopes. Stayed there on a Saturday and Sunday night. Had a 4th floor room facing Kinzie Street and was disappointed that my room had absolutely no view - just the ugly building across the street. I was also all the way down the hall, closest to the Public House bar/restaurant side of the building. On Saturday night, the Public House music was so loud and it went on till 2 a.m. I couldn't believe that I could hear the music that much from my room. The evening reception on Saturday night was so crowded, there was no place to sit or stand. I ended up taking my drinks and antipasta back to my room. Sunday evening wasn't as crowded, but they had the same antipasta spread. One thing I will say was great, was the alcohol selection and drinks. That was a definite plus. I also loved that Harry Carey's does the room service for food. Love Harry Carey's! As far as breakfast, I'm not a huge fan of cold breakfasts, so I thought the breakfast in the morning was just okay - a variety of pastries, bagels, cold cereals, yogurt, coffee, milk, juices, and fruit. The room amentites were fine, the furniture is kind of old - the dresser was pretty beat up as far as the drawers. The location of the hotel was outstanding - so much within walking distance. Would I stay there again? Probably not. My favorite boutique hotel in Chicago so far is the Dana Hotel & Spa. Now THAT place is a absolute treat and worth every penny and then some. The rooms are so modern, you get a lovely cooked breakfast in their restaurant, and their 26th floor bar with an open patio and fire pit is awesome. Loved that hotel so much better, I stayed there the next night which was my last night in Chicago (Monday).

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank MarciaMarciaMarcia2
AmalfiHotelChicago, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this review, 20 March 2012
Thank you for sharing your comments with the Trip Advisor community. We appreciate your feedback as we pride ourselves on the level of service and product we deliver. I’m sorry that the view was not to your liking; we do have a number of rooms with views of the downtown area that are available upon request. I’m pleased that you liked the selection of drinks and hor d’oeuvres in our complimentary cocktail reception though I’m sorry to know it was too crowded for you to stay and enjoy them in the Ravello Lounge.

We take all guest feedback seriously and have met with the establishment next door and reviewed city noise ordinances. I apologize for the noise disturbance from Public House. We thank you again for your feedback and hope you reconsider staying with us again in the future.

Guest Experience Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (443)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Chevy Chase, MD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

I was in town for the International Home & Housewares show in March 2012. I found the hotel convenient to transportation to and from McCormick Place. Millennium Station of Metra was 15 min. walk. There are plenty of good pubs and restaurants to eat at within a short walk, just ask the staff who give great advice in this area. Speaking of which, the staff were great. Very nice, very helpful, from the doorman to the concierge. The breakfast, available on each floor near elevator was continental, nice selection of cold items as the name would suggest and the coffee was pretty good - even for a coffee snob like me. Street facing rooms can tend toward some noise (I was on 5th floor) so if street noise bothers you, ask for an inside room. There is free wifi available throughout and 4G signal was pretty good in that area. Wifi can, like many places, get choked with heavy use, but for free it was good. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: If you don't want to hear street noise, do not get a room with a street view.
2 Thank PhilandSaraF
AmalfiHotelChicago, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this review, 15 March 2012
Thank you for sharing your Amalfi experience with TripAdvisor! We’re delighted to know you enjoyed your stay and our complimentary amenities like our deluxe continental breakfast and WiFi! I’m pleased you were able to take advantage of our central downtown location and the many nearby restaurants and bars to choose from.

I truly appreciate your gracious comments about our front office team and will be sure to share with them. Thank you again for taking the time to post your review and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Warm Regards,
Antwerp, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

Great location, comfortable rooms with good beds and a very personable and super-friendly staff that really go out of their way to make your stay as comfortable as possible. The Amalfi is the perfect choice if you prefer a more personal atmosphere over the big chain hotels. The free breakfast and cocktails in the evening are nice treats.
Some room for improvement: WiFi tends to be very slow, which can be annoying if you're there for business. Also, I don't like air-conditioned rooms, so it would be great if you could open the windows to let in some air.

Room Tip: Room son the south side are very sunny and have a better view; room No. 624 is very nice; Ice machin...
1 Thank Diana2178
Edwardsville, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

Stayed there from 03/04/12 to 03/09/12.

Pros:
Great location. Only 1.2 miles away from Union station; we walked to our hotel when we arrived in Chicago. Within walking distance of Millennium Park, Hard Rock Cafe, Rainforest Cafe, Gino's East. Two blocks away from the L line and also close to the Orange line.

Great Appearance. The lobby is not as small as some people seem to be saying. It was never overcrowded.

Great rooms. The room was spacious enough for me, despite what some people have said about the size. I had no trouble fitting four people in my room with me, but I suppose I can see how many more than that could get crowded.

Great service. The employees were very attentive and whenever we requested something, we got it very quickly. They suggested great places for us to eat and visit, and even gave us coupons for some of the attractions we decided to see. We were greeted every time we walked into the lobby and were wished a nice day every time we left.

Great price. Compared to the other hotels that I looked at, the price was quite nice. $50 cheaper than anything else I looked at, at this level of quality. Definitely worth every penny.

Open Bar. I did not believe for one second that they offered a free bar every night from 5.30pm to 7pm, but they did. Not only that, their assortment of food and alcohol is not small. The bartender was amazing; he recognized who we are and what sort of drinks we would order after the first night, and he always asked us how our day had been. This is a great place to mingle with other guests of the hotel, too.

Cons:

The shower. The water pressure was not great, and I feel like two shower heads is kind of wasted when the water pressure is so low. Also, I feel like I may have been sharing my water with at least one other room. Almost every time I showered, the shower would randomly turn very cold. I would have to turn up the heat. A few minutes later, the shower would turn extremely hot and I would start to burn. I also noticed water pressure changes at time. Perhaps my shower was just broken in some way; the person I took with me said that his shower was fine.

The breakfast. I'm not hating on the food per say, although I feel maybe there should have been a bigger or better selection. Mostly I'm hating on the toasters they provide. I burned myself trying to fish my toast out because it was broken.

The noise. I requested to be put up as high as possible; they managed to put me on the 5th floor, which isn't bad when there are only 6 floors to begin with. The noise from the street wasn't bad at all, although I could hear the occasional honk. I should also warn you that this hotel is close to a fire department, so anytime there is a fire you will hear sirens and lots of them. This didn't particularly bother me either to be honest. My biggest complaint is the noise of other guests around you. I couldn't tell if it was the people staying next to me or above me, but whoever they were, they had kids, and those kids were very loud. You can hear the noise most clearly in the bathroom, but sometimes in the middle of the night I could hear very loud voices and moving about around my window.

Overall impression:
Would I recommend the Amalfi Hotel to someone else?
Absolutely. The location, service, and overall appearance of this hotel makes it amazing. The price makes it a bargain.

Would I stay at the Amalfi Hotel again?
You bet. Prior to this I had only been to Chicago one other time, and I had stayed in the Silversmith Hotel. That was out of my price range this time, but I hoped to run into something that I could afford that would be just as amazing. In ways, the Amalfi surpasses the Silversmith. I intend to stay here again when I return in may to see Shpongle at the House of Blues, which is right down the street.

Room Tip: Ask for something high up and with a view, if possible. I was in 513 and the view was amazing!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Erin H
AmalfiHotelChicago, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this review, 12 March 2012
Thank you for sharing your review with the TripAdvisor community. We’re pleased to know you were able to take advantage of our central location in downtown Chicago and all the attractions within walking distance. I’m happy to receive such wonderful feedback about our front office team and will be sure to share your kind comments with them!

In regards to the shower pressure, that is not normally the case; many of our guests rave about the multi-head showers and the pressure they provide. We will have our Engineering Department review and correct the issue immediately. I am also sorry to hear that our toaster wasn’t operating properly; we take feedback like that very seriously and will be sure to pass it on to our Food & Beverage Manager. I apologize for any inconvenience the noise by other guests may have caused. In the future, please do not hesitate in contacting our front desk to handle any noise disturbances accordingly.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to share you review and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

oshkosh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

Our stay at the Amalfi Hotel was one of the best ever! The staff was so extremely helpful, from arranging cars to suggesting shopping, they had me covered. This was not my first visit, and I will certainly stay here again.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Salem, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

I love this place. They truly made you feel like a guest in their hotel, not just a paying customer. Free breakfast (although you have to take it to your room) and happy hour. I felt pampered.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
AmalfiHotelChicago, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
Thank you for posting your 5-star review on TripAdvisor! We’re thrilled to receive such positive guest feedback about our team and will be sure to pass it on.

As you mentioned, you’re free to enjoy our complimentary continental breakfast in the comfort of your guest room. However, if you do need more space, we recommend taking advantage our recently renovated Ravello Lounge on our 6th floor.

We truly appreciate your feedback and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon!

Warm Regards,
Belgium
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

Very weak breakfast facilities (you need to take the breakfast to your room, but there is only one chair, you need to use the desk as table,...not really comfortable). The breakfast is set in front of The elevator but we bedeed to wait 20 minutes before they came to refill it. I rare this hotel 3*.

• Stayed December 2011
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
AmalfiHotelChicago, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this review, 5 March 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor. We apologize for the breakfast not being replenished in a timely fashion and will be sure to pass on your comments to our Food and Beverage manager to ensure that this does not happen again.

If you do need additional space to enjoy your breakfast, we encourage our guests to take advantage of our recently renovated Ravello Lounge where comfortable seating and tables are available for you to spread out and enjoy breakfast at your leisure. We thank you again for your feedback and hope you will choose to stay with us again in the future.