“Location, Price, Service - This Place Has It All!”
Review of Kinzie Hotel

Kinzie Hotel
Ranked #20 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 16 March 2008

This was our first stay at the Amalfi - we will definitely stay here again the next time we are in Chicago. The hotel is conveniently located just North of the Chicago River.....walk across the street and a couple of steps and you are at the door of House of Blues and Harry Carey's. Easy walking distance to the theatre district and Magnificent Mile. Don't expect much of a view outside of your window (the building immediately out front was under renovation) - but I'm not in the room much....I'm there to see and experience Chicago!! We had exceptionally warm weather for January, but only used 1 cab the entire time we were there...from the hotel back to the train station....so if you don't mind walking - this is the perfect location with easy access to everything. Their complementary breakfast was nice - great selection of fruits, pastries, juices, water, etc. The complementary drinks and hors d'oeuvres were outstanding. I've seen some previous reviews that complained about the bar staff. Maybe they were there on an off night - or maybe they treated the staff with little or no regard...but all I can say is these guys were GREAT! Yes, there is a tip jar...but come on --- the drinks are FREE - food is free - if you can't spare a dollar to reward the people catering to you....you definitely have bigger problems in this world. We tipped only a couple of dollars......and the bartenders treated us like we were royalty. They were the best! Rooms were clean - robes and slippers were provided (nice touch!). The only disappointing thing - not many extra outlets in the room......there were four girls sharing the room and getting ready with hairdryers, curling irons, etc was a little hectic. The Amalfi will send a bottle of wine to your room if you are celebrating a birthday or anniversary. We requested this at the time of reservation - it was not delivered the first day - but a quick request at the front desk resolved the issue that day.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank Tiffaroonie
There are newer reviews for Kinzie Hotel

Reviewed 14 March 2008

This is a pleasant change from your big chain hotel groups. Very European and very comfortable. You can find some good deals at this great location.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank Ainslie45
Reviewed 29 February 2008

We stayed at the amafi for 4 nights in Feb. It was fantastic. From the minute we arrived at reception, the girl at the desk was so friendly. The room was really testefully decorated. I also loved the really soft bath robe and slippers provided and also the safe in the wardrobe was useful. The double shower head was great as was the mirror with the light on it for doing my make-up( something i hadn't seen in other hotels).

The location was perfect for us. The complimentary bar between 5 and 7 pm is nice. we met some very friendly people therewe only went 2 evening out of 4 but always enjoyed it. i must admit i was surprised to hear that breakfast was a buffet opposite the lifts!! the first 2 mornings were fine, we had a good breakfast, i sneaked from the room in my bathrobe and luckily no one spotted me ha ha. the 3rd and 4th morning when i went there the best of the breakfast goodies were gone because there was a conference onin the city and the hotel was booked up so you need to get to the buffet early!

Over all we had a fantastic time here and we will most definately be saying here next time xx

2  Thank SHELLY1976
Reviewed 25 February 2008

Myself and my boyfriend stayed here for 3 nights as an early 30th birthday treat from 30 January 2008-2 February 2008. We found this to be a really lovely hotel. The staff were nice and helpful but not forceful or bothersome (which I was concerned about when I read that an "Experience Designer" would assist us with our stay). The only thing I would say on this matter was that we weren't offered anything like this service at all, it was only when we were checking out that I heard someone asking about the shuttle bus service the hotel runs, but I guess if you don't ask you don't get!

We found the rooms smart, modern, clean and comfortable and the turn down service offered of an evening by housekeeping is a nice touch. The bed was large and very comfortable, the bedding was non-allergenic and a 'mock' down. The rooms were spacious and stylish and the Aveda toiletries a very nice touch. The room looked just as in the pictures on the site.

I was a bit wary of the breakfast service when I read that it was served in the lobby areas of each floor, however this was not a problem at all. Hot coffee, water for teas and a selection of bottled juices were offered. There were plenty of pastries, muffins, breads/loaves and bagels but there are no toaster facilities. Unfortunately we did not take advantage of the evening cocktail reception as our time in Chicago was very limited.

The location was great, the area is on the quiet side and the views weren't amazing but Harry Caray's is opposite and Lou Malnati's (absolutely divine pizza pie!) is within a short walk. Magnificent Mile is about a 5 minute walk to the left and the the Chicago River and access to the Loop about a 5 minute walk down the road. If you're looking for places to go I would recommend shopping at Magnificent Mile, there are some good souvenir shops too in the malls, you could finish up having lunch in Pizzeria Uno or Pizzeria Due which are both toward the farther end of Magnificent Mile. The Cheesecake Factory at the bottom of the Hancock tower was really nice, we originally intending on having drinks in the John Hancock Tower bar to take in the views but my boyfriend's vertigo got the better of him on the 96th floor!

I would definitely recommend this lovely hotel and Chicago, we had a great time here but unfortunately there was a snow storm so we were quite limited when we were out and about. If you do decide to go to Chicago I would recommend a restaurant called Rose Angelis, it was in a converted house in the suburbs (1314 W Wrightwood Ave) and it took us a few minutes walk to get a taxi back when the city was on stand-by for snow storms but it was well worth the taxi ride. 10 Pin is very close to the hotel and we had cocktails here and a game of 10 pin bowling and Chicago Blues is within the same complex.

All in all this was a very nice hotel and city which by far exceeded our expectations, my only regret is that we didn't stay here longer!

1  Thank chuncey
Reviewed 23 February 2008

I was in Chicago for business recently and stayed at the Amalfi Hotel. The price was comparable to other hotels in the area and the location was excellent for me. I read a recent negative review of the hotel and I completely disagree.

This hotel may not be right for everyone. It is very modern, which some may not "get". I loved the way the room was decorated with the rich red color. The bed was very comfortableand I slept well. The bathroom was very nicely decorated and had a duel head shower and nice smelling Aveda products.

I had free wireless internet too. Many hotels make you pay a fee, but not at the Amalfi. Besides that, there is a business center with two computers and a printer which came in handy for me since I had to print some last minute documents for my meeting. The hotel also included a complimentary breakfast on each floor, which was very convenient. The coffee and fruit was delicious. The muffin I had was "ok".

The hotel staff was extremely helpful and always willing to assist me. I made some requests and had questions during my stay and they were always polite and professional. Thanks George and the rest of the friendly staff!

I completely enjoyed my stay and I'll be back the next time I visit Chicago on vacation!

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank GoingPlacesPA
Reviewed 22 February 2008

I have stayed at and recommended this nice little hotel to everyone I know. The Staff at the Amalfi are always polite and helpful. Whenever we asked for something special, it was at our door in no time.

The Happy Hour is wonderful. Lots of Italian antipasta and cocktails, including the signature Amalfitini. It's fun meeting and talking with the other guests. A few more chairs would be nice.

The rooms have always been spacious and clean. Last year we booked a large suite which accommodated all of us, with room to spare.

It's nice that there are CDs provided if you don't bring your own. The views vary, depending on the location of the room.

The continental breakfast on every floor is always fresh with baked goods, fruit, juice and coffee/tea. You can just enjoy breakfast in your room and not have to go out first thing in the morning.

The location is walking distance to restaurants and entertainment, so no need to drive or take a cab. We love the Amalfi and will continue to stay there whenever we visit Chicago!

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank elnbee
Reviewed 20 February 2008

I have stayed at the Amalfi Hotel before and it has always been excellent. This time was no different. Usually I book direct with the hotel, however, I found a slightly better deal booking through Expedia, which saved about $100.

The staff were great. I arrived early and they had a room waiting. I was placed on the 6th (top) floor and it was quiet and comfortable. Overall, it was as good as it gets! I will definitely continue to stay here when I'm in Chicago.

Remember, the hotel is close to everything - downtown, the Magnificent Mile, lots of restaurants, etc. Everything is within walking distance!