“Our favorite place to stay in Chicago”
Review of Kinzie Hotel

Kinzie Hotel
Ranked #23 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 2 February 2013

We stay here every time we come, it is a great value, wonderful clean room and breakfast is included! The staff is alway friendly and accommodating. The location is great too, walking distance from some great restaurants and to the L. We also love the appetizers at the complimentary cocktail hour.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
AmalfiHotelChicago, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2013

Many thanks for the thoughtful review! We’re flattered to be your “favorite place” to stay when you visit Chicago! I’m happy to hear you’re able to take advantage of our location in the downtown River North district and the wide variety of restaurants surrounding us. I’m further pleased to hear you enjoy our complimentary evening cocktail reception as well. Thank you again for taking the time to share your kind review. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 1 February 2013

I recently had the pleasure of staying at the Amalfi for a week for work, as it is one of my company's preferred hotels in Chicago. And I can see why this one is on the list, as the experience was very good.

Location-wise, the Amalfi is ideally situated just north of the Chicago river and very close to Michigan Ave, downtown, the merchandising mart and a number of public transportation options. The Clark/lake subway station that connects to the airport is less than a 10 minute walk. There are a lot of restaurants very close by (including Rick Bayless' fantastic Frontera Grill and Xoco), and a large CVS drugstore just down the street.

I had king deluxe room which was large and comfortable, with any of the amenities one would expect. I even had cookies and a personal note from the guest services manager waiting upon my arrival, which was a nice touch. Bathroom was very large and clean, with very nice Aveda toiletries.

Front desk staff were extremely friendly and always ready to help. Each of the hotel's six stories has its own free continental breakfast by the main elevators, which is a convenient way to grab a bite as you are heading out. There is, however, no sitting area for breakfast.

My only issue was the relatively slow free WiFi (at least on my iPad). My laptop seemed better in that regard, but still somewhat slow. And the TV remote was a bit unusual.

Overall, a fantastic stay. The Amalfi proves that a moderately priced hotel can be a great choice in a city with a lot of competition. I would certainly stay here again and will recommend it to my friends.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with an unobstructed view--some of the rooms look onto a brick building a few feet aw...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank boston_tripadviser

Thank you kindly for the 5-star review! We’re delighted to hear you enjoyed your week-long stay with us and found our rooms to your liking. I’m further delighted to receive such kind comments about our front office team. I’m pleased to know you were able to take advantage of our central downtown Chicago location with close proximity to the many major sites you mentioned—including the Clark/Lake CTA station and Michigan Avenue. I’m also pleased to know you enjoyed our complimentary amenities like our deluxe continental breakfast and appreciated the convenience of it being served on each floor. As you mentioned, we also offer complimentary WiFi and you’ll be pleased to know we recently completed upgrading our WiFi system. This project included bandwidth increase and additional access points to strengthen the signal in the hotel. I’m sure on your next visit, you’ll find the WiFi connection has significantly improved!

Your glowing recommendation is truly appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 29 January 2013

Our "experience advisor" Karim, made our trip special before we ever arrived in Chicago by suggesting restaurants, making reservations, giving us information about activities, etc.
This was not our first stay at the Amalfi and, like our previous trip, the staff made the difference. You do not stay here for the view...there is none...but who cares when you're taken care of by such wonderful people?
The Ravello Lounge is a wonderful experience in the evening and the drinks and food a wonderful treat. And in the morning it's sooo nice to slip into a robe and slippers and have breakfast waiting for you on your floor.
The beds are exceedingly comfortable and the rooms are not the tiny ones you usually find in Chicago hotels.
I have gone out on a limb and recommended this hotel, with it's wonderful location in River North, to many people. Everyone has returned with rave reviews.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
AmalfiHotelChicago, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2013

Thank you very much for the glowing review! We’re thrilled to receive such positive guest feedback—especially about our team! We pride ourselves on delivering the highest level of service and I’m delighted to hear our team delivered on that promise—Karem in particular! I’m further pleased to hear you enjoy our complimentary amenities like our deluxe continental breakfast and appreciate the convenience of it being served on each floor. We’re truly honored to receive such a flattering recommendation and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 28 January 2013

Considering this is a 4 star hotel I expected better. Everything was just okay. Nothing really exceptional for this hotel.

Cons:
-Water knob in shower was loose so it wouldn't stay at a consistent temperature.
-Not enough electrical outlets next to bed and in bathroom.
-Towels were scratchy and cheap.
-Robe was scratchy and cheap feeling.
-Lotion was watered down.
-Breakfast options weren't very good or appealing. Mostly just made up of simple, sugary carbs. If you're gluten or dairy intolerant, wouldn't recommend planning eating this breakfast every day as they have few selections of fresh fruit and nothing for protein like eggs.
-Only allowed to control room temperature within 5 degrees. So if you're a cold or hot person, be prepared to not be completely comfortable.

Pros
-Some of the staff members were really nice - others weren't as much.
-Location

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
AmalfiHotelChicago, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. While I’m pleased to hear you found our location to your liking, I’m sorry to hear about the maintenance issues you experienced. I’ll be contacting you directly for your room number so we can follow up with our Engineering Department to ensure that these issues are resolved, if they have not done so already. As you mentioned, we do offer a complimentary continental breakfast every morning and I apologize if the selection was not to your liking. We do try to offer a number of nutritious items like the fresh fruit you mentioned as well as healthy cereal options and nonfat yogurt. I appreciate your protein suggestions and will be happy to share those with our Food & Beverage manager.

I’m also pleased to receive positive feedback about our team but disappointed to hear not all our associates lived up to the high standard of service we pride ourselves on. I will use your feedback to reeducate and retrain our team to ensure that we meet and exceed the level of hospitality that you deserve. Thank you again for your valuable feedback. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back upon your next visit to Chicago.

Reviewed 27 January 2013

This is my second stay at Amalfi, and once again I was impressed! The service is excellent, the rooms are well appointed, the cocktail reception is a nice way to start the evening, and the self-serve continental breakfast is just right before getting on with the day. If you are familiar with Chicago, there is plenty of self-parking lots nearby, which is a less expensive option (valet parking at the hotel is $50 a day).

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

What a thoughtful review! We’re delighted to know that your most recent stay with us was as enjoyable as the first. I’m also happy to hear you enjoyed our complimentary amenities like our deluxe continental breakfast as well as our evening cocktail reception. As you mentioned, we do offer 24-hour valet parking for $47/day with unlimited in-and-out privileges. But there are many self-park options around the area as well. Your 5-star recommendation is truly appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back for your 3rd stay with us soon!

Reviewed 26 January 2013

The Amalfi hotel is located a 10 minute walk north of Millenium Park in an area with active night life and lots of restaurants. It has a bit of an idiosyncratic feel, not a corporate hotel. The staff are helpful, be it valet parking or assistance with the reservation or room. The room itself was very comfortable and at the "superior" level even a bit luxurious.

Each morning breakfast foods are provided in each floor's lobby, which canbe taken back into the room to eat. Each evening there is an open bar and hors d'oeurves on an upper floor, a popular event before heading back out for the evening.

The cost of the room was fair for the quality, location, extras included and service. Overall, an excellent experience, recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for a superior room in a corner that has windows on both sides.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your Amalfi experience with the TripAdvisor community! We’re pleased to know you had an “excellent experience” with us and to receive such positive feedback about our team. I’m happy to know you enjoyed our complimentary amenities like our deluxe continental breakfast and our evening cocktail reception. I’m further pleased to hear you found our central location in downtown Chicago to your liking. Thank you again for taking the time to provide your valuable feedback. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 24 January 2013

Pleasantly surprised. My room on the 6th floor was well decorated, fresh and fashion forward. My view of the city was nice. Bathroom splendid and more luxurious than most. Staff friendly and helpful. There's a complimentary continental breakfast placed in each floor's elevator lobby each morning with juices, coffee, pastries and teas. Great location. Its about 2 blocks off Michigan Ave and Nordstrom. Close to Harry Carey's and Webber Grill and House of Blues. As a side bonus, Hertz Local Edition is on the same block. One of the nicer hotels in Chicago. Look forward to returning.

• Stayed: January 2013

Many thanks for the 5-star review! We’re thrilled to know your recent stay with us was an enjoyable one. I’m pleased to know our rooms were to your liking and you enjoyed your view of the downtown area. I’m also happy to hear you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast and appreciated the convenience of it being served on each floor. And I’m especially pleased to know you were able to take advantage of our downtown location in the vibrant River North district with our close proximity to all the shopping and restaurants you mentioned! Your warm recommendation is truly appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!