“Great location, extremely friendly staff, nice price!!”
Review of Kinzie Hotel

Kinzie Hotel
Ranked #20 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 18 February 2013

We came to Chicago this past weekend to take our daughters to the American Girl Place for their birthdays. We chose the Amalfi because of the reviews and I am happy we did. We were able to easily walk to numerous locations including Michigan Ave, the Rainforest Cafe (which our daughters loved), along with many other streets that had plenty of shopping to choose from. The hotel was clean, comfortable, and priced right. We took advantage of the continental breakfast (cereal, yogurt, pastries, juice, coffee, etc.) each morning before we headed out to roam the city which was very convenient. The staff, from the concierge, doorman, valets, guest service agents, etc. were all friendly and considerate. Greg, in particular, was very friendly and seemed genuinely interested in our trip and our girls' experience at American Girl. The valet parking was convienent as well and not badly priced. We will definitely stay at the Amalfi again when we return to Chicago!!

Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
AmalfiHotelChicago, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2013

Thank you kindly for the 5-star review! We’re thrilled to receive such positive guest feedback—especially about our front office team! I’ll be sure to share your kind comments with them—Greg, in particular! I’m happy to hear you and your daughters were able to take advantage of our central downtown location and walk to all the nearby sites like the Rainforest Cafe and American Girl Place! I’m further delighted that you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast and appreciated the wide selection we offer. Your glowing recommendation is truly appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you and your daughters back for your next visit to Chicago!

There are newer reviews for Kinzie Hotel

Reviewed 17 February 2013

Fantastic! The staff is very friendly and really went above and beyond with any request. We first had a lower floor with no view and loud morning trash pickup, and were quickly moved to a higher floor on the other side and it was perfectly quiet. The evening reception was like crashing a private cocktail party- what a blast! A convenient breakfast on every floor was a nice way to start the day. After walking into the hotel after a long day of walking, we were greeted with coffee/hot cocoa and cookies at the front desk. The location is IDEAL. I highly recommend this hotel. The whole family LOVED it and the staff was great. We will be back!

Room Tip: Rooms off the ally are quieter.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for the flattering review! We’re delighted to hear your recent stay with us was an enjoyable one! While I’m sorry to hear about the unusual noise disturbance you encountered, I’m pleased to hear that our front office team was able to accommodate you with a new room. We take great pride in delivering the highest level of service and I’m overjoyed to hear our front office team came through on that promise. I’m also happy to hear you enjoyed our complimentary evening cocktail reception as well as our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast. Your 5-star recommendation is truly appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back soon!

Reviewed 16 February 2013

I have stayed at the Amalfi 5 or 6 times and each time I have NOT been disappointed. It's close to everything! Great ambiance. The rooms, bedding and pillows are very comfortable. It's quiet, except where there is early trash pickup. I wholeheartedly recommend this hotel for comfort, convenience and price!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your feedback with the TripAdvisor community. We’re delighted to receive such positive guest feedback—especially from a loyal guest! I’m happy to hear you found our rooms comfortable and our bedding to your liking as well. Thank you again for taking the time to share your thoughtful comments. We look forward to welcoming you back for your next stay with us!

Reviewed 15 February 2013

The Amalfi was perfect start to finish. Staff were happy and helpful. Room was spacious and spotless. Bed was so comfy. Free evening reception was a lovely opportunity to meet and mingle with new friends. Breakfast had good choices.Hotel location was very good and you were spoiled for choice with loads to see and do right on your doorstep. The Staff made this more than a city boutique hotel. The Business Centre was useful too and the Fitness Room was very well equipped. We stayed there for five nights and when we were in Chicago we visited other hotels too that friends had suggested but given the value for money we got in this fab wee spot i knew we nailed it and yes we will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Book direct with hotel
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank joan d

Many thanks for the 5-star review! We’re so happy to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us. I’m especially pleased to receive such lovely feedback about our team! I’ll be sure to share your kind comments with them. I’m also happy to hear you found our complimentary amenities like our deluxe continental breakfast to your liking as well as our 24-hour Business Center and 24-hour Fitness Center. I’m pleased to know you were able to take advantage of our central location in the downtown River North district and all things to see and do, as you mentioned. We truly appreciate your glowing recommendation and look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 13 February 2013

I booked this hotel based on the postive reviews, the great location (2 blocks from the Mag Mile), and the price (~$140/night with tax!). I wasn't disappointed. My friend and I arrived at 10:30 am, way ahead of the check-in time, and we were able to get into our room right away. Our room didn't have much of a view (the building next door), but that probably helped keep the noise from the street down, and we were only here for one night. They have a complimentary cocktail hour, which was nice...the only problem was that the room got crowded awfully fast, but what do you expect for complimentary alcohol? The beds were extremely comfortable (with plenty of choices of pillow thickness), and the bathrooms were roomy with tall, double showerheads. They also had a complimentary continental breakfast on each floor, which was nice - the fruit was extremely fresh and my friend said that the coffee was good. The bell staff was extremely efficient - they could land us a cab almost before we walked out the door, and had our luggage out of the cab before we could get out of the cab. But the main reason I'm writing this review is below...

When we got back to the hotel around 12:30 am after our evening out, our room wouldn't open. The overnight front desk staff (Natalia) gave us new keys, and then accompanied us back up to the room to make sure we got in. When the new keys didn't work, she went and got a Master Key, which also did not work. At this point, we were exhausted and just wanted to sleep, so Natalia put us in the next room for the evening and supplied us with all the necessary tolietries (she sent the bellman to the nearest drug store to buy me contact supplies, at no charge) and robes for sleeping. Engineering started working on our old room door around 7 am, and by 9:30 am had the entire lock dismantled because the motor was defective. We were able to get into our old room at this point, and we used both rooms to get ready. The staff was extremely apologetic about the issue, and while most people would have demanded that their room was free, I figured that all of their effort, in addition to giving us an additional room, didn't warrant a free night.

If I can get the same great rate, I would stay at the Amalfi Hotel again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Rooms on the alley are quieter, even though the view isn't much. Rooms on the 6th floor have to...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Gleek_Wisz
AmalfiHotelChicago, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your Amalfi experience with the TripAdvisor community. We’re thrilled to receive such positive guest feedback—especially about our team! While I’m sorry to hear about the inconveniences you experienced during your stay, I’m happy to know that our front office team was able to assist you and make the room-move as painless as possible for you. We pride ourselves on the level of service we deliver and I’m pleased to know that our Front Office and Engineering teams delivered on that promise.

I’m further pleased to know you were able to enjoy and indulge in our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast as well as our complimentary evening cocktail reception. We truly appreciate your warm recommendation and kind comments about our team. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 12 February 2013 via mobile

I was recently stranded in Chicago when a connecting flight was canceled back to the northeast, due to the blizzard. Using the iPhone app "Hotel Tonight" I snagged an amazing value at the Amalfi downtown Chicago. I've never seen the city and glad I stayed where I did. The location was fantastic - within walking distance to anything and everything you could need/want. It had a boutique feel to it, without the expensive boutique price tag. The room was large, bed and linens comfortable, and I really enjoyed the free daily breakfast. If you're looking for a great value downtown, check out the Amalfi!

• Stayed: February 2013

Thank you for the thoughtful review! We’re delighted to know we were able to accommodate you for your first visit in Chicago, albeit unexpected! I’m happy to hear you found our central downtown location to your liking and that you were able to visit all the nearby sites. I’m also pleased to hear you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast as well. We truly appreciate your glowing recommendation and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 8 February 2013

This is not a fancy hotel, but for the price it's perfect. My room was large if a bit austere in its furnishings. I did like the complimentary evening cocktail reception and the morning continental breakfast that is set up by the elevator on each floor. The staff was especially pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
AmalfiHotelChicago, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I’m pleased to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us and to know our team was able to make it a pleasing one. I’m also happy to hear our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast was to your liking and that you appreciated the convenience of it being served on each floor. I’m also happy to know you enjoyed our complimentary evening cocktail reception as well. Thank you again for your kind review. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.