We will return to the Amalfi next visit to Chicago.
As other reviewers have noted, the location is prime. Just a few blocks from The Loop (where we stayed last visit); we greatly appreciated a central-feeling location without the traffic noise. (Our first instinct is always to stay in a "downtown" to get the local feel; the Amalfi satisfied this preference, with the added bonus of less traffic & pedestrian congestion.) Impressive number of restaurants and bars in the area, with great variety to suit all tastes.
Other noted pros:
- Cocktail hour, which kicks up merriment (and some noise with the fun, so do not stay on the 6th floor if napping at 5:30 without earplugs is your thing). With complimentary drink vouchers upon arrival, we enjoyed a cocktail nightly, along with delicious, fresh hors d'ouevres (copious enough to substitute for a meal one evening).
-- Staff was distinctly professional. Our two minor complaints were addressed immediately. (Upon returning home I recalled my irritation that the bathrobes had been scratchy. An email to the hotel later, we were given a generous refund of part of our stay -- a truly outstanding accommodation. I'm certain we would have been given new bathrobes if we had mentioned it at the time; it just didn't irk me until returning home and starting to write my TA review. A semi-functional iHome clock radio/mp3 station -- the power button was stuck -- was rectified while we were out.) The staff's restaurant recommendations were perfect; we ate at each of the three recommended places and each was spot-on; the staff had truly listened to what we were seeking.
Housekeeping did not even knock when the "Zzzz' sign was hung. When we finally did get out for the day, an afternoon tidy-up was effected no problem. And houskeeping was spotless.
- Modern design with occasional flourishes; comfortable use of space.
- Aveda products. Hotel toiletries do not usually provoke a reaction in me, but I was gratified the hotel uses relatively healthy and not-animal-tested (and yummy!) products.
- King-sized bed was comfortable and a two kinds of pillows (for a generous five pillows total) came with.
- Fitness room was larger and better stocked than most hotel gyms.
Only noted cons:
- The rooms in the back of the building face the back of the next block; on the sixth floor, we overlooked a parking lot and rooftops. Lower floors (fourth and below) presumably look into back windows. That being said, we enjoyed the Chicago-y high rise view beyond the rooftops. Kinzie Street along the front of the hotel is not particularly busy (ok, this from a Manhattanite) but the old view-versus-quiet conundrum definitely applies to the second, third, and fourth floors. We had NO noise problems (three days, three nights) from the alley that divides the two buildings.
- Like most new American hotels, the windows do not open. The ventilation system was not ideal, and the room felt stuffy. Caveat: We did not try all the A/C settings. There may well have been a "fan" setting in addition to the "heat" and "off" settings that we did use. But if you are prone to feelings of discomfort in a stuffy room, it's worth checking in with the hotel about whether their ventilation system draws in outside air or recycles building or room air. It was just never very fresh. Also, in the wintertime consider bringing a travel humidifier. Other new American hotels have not bothered me like this did.
All in all, a fun time on a couples trip. See you next time, Amalfi!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the heart of the vibrant River North district, Kinzie Hotel embodies the adventurous spirit of Chicago. Named after the renowned Chicago settler and silversmith, John Kinzie, the history and culture of this exciting city unfolds at our doorstep, waiting to be discovered. Boasting a central location near Michigan Avenue and the Loop, this contemporary Chicago boutique hotel is a sophisticated downtown escape for both business and leisure travelers. Whether your interests are arts, dining, shopping, or nightlife, our ideal location easily allows you to embark on an urban exploration of Chicago. Chic, comfortable accommodations feature Chicago-inspired design elements and luxurious amenities, including rejuvenating H2O Plus Spa products and Keurig coffeemakers. Enjoy our continental breakfast, conveniently served on each floor just steps from your guest room. Every evening from 5pm - 8pm, guests are welcome to unwind during our nightly reception in the Double Cross Lounge. Each guest will receive one complimentary drink per night and can enjoy an assortment of hors d'oeuvres. Stay connected with lightning-fast WiFi throughout the hotel or by visiting our 24-hour business center. Keep up with your workout schedule in a well-equipped 24-hour fitness center, featuring state-of-the-art equipment, free weights, Yoga/Pilates mats, and more. At Kinzie Hotel, you'll experience Chicago like you never have before. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Booking.com, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Kinzie Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Chicago Amalfi Hotel
- Amalfi Hotel Chicago