“Excellent Stay with Minor Flaws”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Kinzie Hotel

Kinzie Hotel
Ranked #22 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City
“Excellent Stay with Minor Flaws”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

We will return to the Amalfi next visit to Chicago.

As other reviewers have noted, the location is prime. Just a few blocks from The Loop (where we stayed last visit); we greatly appreciated a central-feeling location without the traffic noise. (Our first instinct is always to stay in a "downtown" to get the local feel; the Amalfi satisfied this preference, with the added bonus of less traffic & pedestrian congestion.) Impressive number of restaurants and bars in the area, with great variety to suit all tastes.

Other noted pros:

- Cocktail hour, which kicks up merriment (and some noise with the fun, so do not stay on the 6th floor if napping at 5:30 without earplugs is your thing). With complimentary drink vouchers upon arrival, we enjoyed a cocktail nightly, along with delicious, fresh hors d'ouevres (copious enough to substitute for a meal one evening).

-- Staff was distinctly professional. Our two minor complaints were addressed immediately. (Upon returning home I recalled my irritation that the bathrobes had been scratchy. An email to the hotel later, we were given a generous refund of part of our stay -- a truly outstanding accommodation. I'm certain we would have been given new bathrobes if we had mentioned it at the time; it just didn't irk me until returning home and starting to write my TA review. A semi-functional iHome clock radio/mp3 station -- the power button was stuck -- was rectified while we were out.) The staff's restaurant recommendations were perfect; we ate at each of the three recommended places and each was spot-on; the staff had truly listened to what we were seeking.

Housekeeping did not even knock when the "Zzzz' sign was hung. When we finally did get out for the day, an afternoon tidy-up was effected no problem. And houskeeping was spotless.

- Modern design with occasional flourishes; comfortable use of space.

- Aveda products. Hotel toiletries do not usually provoke a reaction in me, but I was gratified the hotel uses relatively healthy and not-animal-tested (and yummy!) products.

- King-sized bed was comfortable and a two kinds of pillows (for a generous five pillows total) came with.

- Fitness room was larger and better stocked than most hotel gyms.

Only noted cons:
- The rooms in the back of the building face the back of the next block; on the sixth floor, we overlooked a parking lot and rooftops. Lower floors (fourth and below) presumably look into back windows. That being said, we enjoyed the Chicago-y high rise view beyond the rooftops. Kinzie Street along the front of the hotel is not particularly busy (ok, this from a Manhattanite) but the old view-versus-quiet conundrum definitely applies to the second, third, and fourth floors. We had NO noise problems (three days, three nights) from the alley that divides the two buildings.

- Like most new American hotels, the windows do not open. The ventilation system was not ideal, and the room felt stuffy. Caveat: We did not try all the A/C settings. There may well have been a "fan" setting in addition to the "heat" and "off" settings that we did use. But if you are prone to feelings of discomfort in a stuffy room, it's worth checking in with the hotel about whether their ventilation system draws in outside air or recycles building or room air. It was just never very fresh. Also, in the wintertime consider bringing a travel humidifier. Other new American hotels have not bothered me like this did.

All in all, a fun time on a couples trip. See you next time, Amalfi!

Room Tip: Lounge on the six floor can create some good-time noise during cocktail hour for rooms on the same h...
1 Thank SFO Grrl
AmalfiHotelChicago, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughtful feedback. We’re pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I’m especially pleased to receive such great feedback about our team. We pride ourselves on delivering the highest level of service and it’s a pleasure to hear we came through on that promise. I’m happy you found our rooms to your liking and appreciated our comfortable bedding, as well as our in-room Aveda spa products. I’m sorry about the issues you experienced with our ventilation system; our HVAC system does feature a fan button and we also have humidifiers available, which our team is happy to accommodate guests with. I’m pleased to hear you enjoyed our evening cocktail reception and appreciated the wide selection of complimentary hors d’oeuvres. I’m also happy you were able to take advantage of our complimentary 24-hour Fitness Center while you were here. We truly appreciate your gracious recommendation. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel very soon!

Guest Experience Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (446)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

It was my first visit to Chicago, and glad I picked the Amalfi. Location was great, near Magnificent Mile for shopping, and within 20min walk of major tourist places (Millennium Park, John Hancock tower, Navy Pier etc). Great places to eat close by, runs parallel to Hubbard St.
Staff were extremely helpful, providing me with maps and tourist info.
Complimentary breakfast served every floor, had to take back to room to eat, but nice touch. Nightly reception on 6th floor (between 5.30 to 7pm), given vouchers for 2 free drinks per night.
My room was on 4th floor at back, view over street, relatively quiet. Room was OK in size, bed comfortable, temperature control was handy. Bathroom OK too, Aveda products were great. Kept very clean, though it wasn't cleaned until after 5pm on first day.
Lobby is fairly small but comfortable.
Would definitely recommend it, and will stay there again, great value though understand hotel is being renovated and renamed in March 2014 (Kinzie Hotel), so hope price doesn't rise too much.

• Stayed November 2013
Thank you so much for the kind review! We’re delighted to hear you had such an enjoyable stay with us. I’m pleased to hear you found our location in the downtown River North district to your liking and were able to walk to all the nearby sites—like the Magnificent Mile, Navy Pier, and Millennium Park. I’m also pleased to hear how helpful our front office team was with directions and more! I’m further delighted to hear you enjoyed our complimentary amenities like our deluxe continental breakfast, evening cocktail reception, and in-room Aveda spa products. We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your 5-star recommendation. We look forward to welcoming you back in 2014 as the brand-new Kinzie Hotel.

Lees Summit, MO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

I escorted a group from Kansas City and could not have found a better location and property. The staff go well beyond the imaginable, the hotel is maintained in tip-top shape and the complimentary continental breakfast and evening cocktail party is such a bonus.

I highly recommend this hotel for individual or group travel. The staff have all been trained to accommodate the guest first and ask questions second. Pricing is extremely fair and reasonable for a boutique hotel within walking distance of many Chicago standards.

Room Tip: As this hotel is in the middle of the city, there are no spectacular views however each room defies...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
AmalfiHotelChicago, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Many thanks for the 5-star review! We’re overjoyed to receive such positive guest feedback—especially about our team. We pride ourselves on delivering the highest level of service and it’s a pleasure to hear we came through on that promise. I’m further pleased to hear you enjoyed our complimentary amenities like our deluxe continental breakfast and evening cocktail reception. Your glowing recommendation is truly appreciated. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you and your group back for another visit very soon!

Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

The location is absolutely perfect for visiting the town. Close to restaurants, pubs, metro station, departure for cruises on the river and just in front of the 'House of Blues'!
We had a very nice room with a very confortable king-size bed, nice and clean bathroom completed with the very good Aveda products.
Absolutely great the idea of the 'happy hour' everyday from six to eight, coming back from a busy visiting day and getting a break before heading out for dinner: friendly staff and delicious buffet.
We also appreciated the breakfast at the floor: one can step out of the room in pijamas, grab a cup of coffee and feel at home...of course one can also seat in the lounge and enjoy a nice start of the day!
Perfect hotel in Chicago!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you kindly for the thoughtful review! We’re thrilled to hear you had such an enjoyable stay with us! I’m happy you liked our downtown Chicago location and were able to take advantage of all the surrounding restaurants, sights, and more! I’m further pleased to hear our rooms were to your liking and that you appreciated our in-room Aveda spa products. I’m also happy to hear you enjoyed our complimentary evening cocktail reception—I agree it’s a great way to relax after a busy day of sightseeing. And I’m pleased you enjoyed our recently enhanced complimentary deluxe continental breakfast and appreciated the convenience of it being served on each floor. We truly appreciate your 5-star recommendation. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon!

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

Rooms very clean, Price the best around House of Blues. With in walking distants. Evening cocktails included in the room. We will be going back again. The only thing is the checking was a little crowded.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your kind review! We’re delighted to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us. I’m especially pleased you found our location in the downtown River North district to your liking—especially our close proximity to the House of Blues! I’m also happy to hear you were able to indulge in our complimentary evening cocktail reception. We truly appreciate your warm recommendation. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013

For all the reasons I loved the hotel the first time around, the second time was even better.
This time I was with my wife and we were extremely happy with our stay. The location is perfect and all of the amenities you would expect at a top notch hotel are here at the Amalfi.
The staff, the concierge, the valets - all very helpful. The concierge helped me score Bears tickets.
The convenience of the breakfast set up is great.
But the best is still the nightly cocktail hours. When drinks are flowing in a packed room it makes for a good time and fun to mingle with other people.
When in Chicago you must stay at the Amalfi.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
AmalfiHotelChicago, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
What a lovely review! We’re overjoyed to hear you and your wife had such a delightful stay with us. I’m especially pleased to receive such great feedback about our entire front office team! We pride ourselves on delivering the highest level of service and it’s a pleasure to hear we delivered on that promise. I’m pleased to hear you enjoyed all our complimentary amenities, including our recently enhanced deluxe continental breakfast! And I’m so pleased to hear you were able to indulge in our complimentary evening cocktail reception—I agree it’s a great way to mix and mingle with our guests. We truly appreciate your gracious recommendation. We look forward to welcoming you back for your third stay very soon!

Brazil
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2013

We had a great experience at Amalfi.
PROS:
Localization - close to metro stations, to Loop, to Michigan Avenue, to Chicago river... Very convenient. Lots of restaurants nearby.
Room - good size. We spent 10 nights at Amalfi and had lots of luggage, and the room has enough space to accommodate everything. Quiet (our room faced the back of the hotel - although the view was so so, it was quiet). Bed is confortable, shower is great. Aveno products available.
Breakfast - selfservice at a lobby- you can eat it at your room. Fruits (banana, orange and apple), breads, coffee, yogurt, eggs, cheese, pastries, milk, tea, cereals, juices (orange and cranberries) available. Suggestion: include honey sachets, hot milk and forks.
The hotel offers complimentary drinks (alcoholic and non alcoholic) at night for the guests. Very friendly.
We had an early checkout (noon) at no cost, and a late checkout at the cost of U$ 10,00 for each additional hour.
We had at the Amalfi a great reception and the staff is very eager to meet your needs.
CONS:
Parking at the hotel is very expensive. We rented a car for one day and prefered to return it the same day.
CONCLUSION:
Would return, definetely!!

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room, choose one facing the back.
1 Thank LinaBrazil
Many thanks for the thoughtful review! We’re delighted to hear you had such an enjoyable stay with us. I’m happy you found our location in the downtown River North district convenient and were able to take advantage of all the nearby sites and restaurants. I’m further pleased to hear you found our comfortable rooms to your liking and enjoyed our in-room Aveda spa products and multi-head showers! It’s a pleasure to hear you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast and appreciated the convenience of it being served on each floor. As you mentioned, we offer 24-hour valet parking for $56/night, which includes unlimited in-and-out privileges. Our rates are dependent on city of Chicago taxes and regrettably out of our control. There are several less-expensive self-park options in the area, if you don’t require in-and-out privileges. I’m pleased to hear you were able to indulge in our complimentary evening cocktail reception as well! We truly appreciate your glowing recommendation. We look forward to welcoming you back upon your next visit to Chicago!