“OLD STYLE AMBIENCE”

Kinzie Hotel
Ranked #20 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 8 February 2014

I planned a surprise trip for my wife's 60th birthday and it included a stop in Chicago for 3 days.
I picked this hotel from the internet mostly because of it's central location which didn't require a rental. Pre-dinner free cocktail/hors d'ouvres is a very nice perk and the continental breakfast on each floor is the nicest/largest I have seen anywhere.
For me the thing that impressed me the most and which will be the reason I would return,was the attitude of the staff. From Melissa,the guest services manager who helped me keep the visit a secret and added a few nice personal touches on her own,Trey the engaging bellman and the housekeeping supervisor who saw us sitting in the lobby, waiting for our room to clear,went to find out which room , personally went to be sure it was completed and then came to advise us....it was abundantly obvious that the attitude of the staff is that of genuine service to and interest in the patrons.Apparently a reflection of managements' attitude, at least at SOME level.
A VERY PLEASANT experience to a critical portion of the entire trip.

WELL DONE..... KINZIE HOTEL (PREVIOUSLY..AMALFI)

Room Tip: just contact Melissa and let her know what you are looking for...you WILL get personal attention!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RetiredMD
KinzieHotel, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

What a thoughtful review! We’re overjoyed to hear you and your wife enjoyed celebrating her 60th birthday with us at the newly renovated Kinzie Hotel! I’m especially pleased to receive such wonderful feedback about our entire hotel team. We pride ourselves on delivering the highest level of service and it’s a pleasure to hear we delivered on that promise. I’m happy to hear you were able to take advantage of our central downtown Chicago location as well. I’m also pleased to hear you enjoyed our complimentary amenities, like our deluxe continental breakfast and evening cocktail reception. We truly appreciate your glowing recommendation. We look forward to welcoming you both back very soon!

There are newer reviews for Kinzie Hotel

Reviewed 29 January 2014

I stayed at the Almafi soon to be Kinzie Hotel over the weekend of January 24 and it was a great experience. The location is dynamite right near Harry Carrys, the Public House and a block away from my favorite steak house Ruth's Chris in Rivernorth section. The art deco decort is a pleasant change from the mundaneness of the commodity corporate flags one would get from a westin or hyatt. the staff is great and very welcoming. The rooms are nice appointed with flat screens, in room refrigerators, snack bar and hot towels. There is a complimentary breakfast area on the fifth floor with fresh muffins, danishes, fruit and cereal for the on the go traveler. The fitness center on the fifth floor is complete with new equipment and flat screen tv. the lobby is very chic and understated which makes you feel a good level of personal touch. The new ownership has brought a great chicago flavor to the hotel with a great mural of the green line in the lobby and the newly renovated rooms have neighborhood maps. This is the only pace i would stay in the Windy City. - MJ

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
AmalfiHotelChicago, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

Many thanks for the 5-star review! We’re thrilled to hear you enjoyed your recent stay in our newly renovated hotel. I’m happy to hear you found our location in the downtown River North district to your liking and were able to take advantage of all the nearby restaurants—like Harry Caray’s and Public House. I’m especially pleased to hear you liked our fresh, Chicago-inspired décor and our in-room amenities, like the mini-fridges and new 42-inch flat screen televisions. I’m especially happy you appreciated the Chicago-inspired design touches like the 1857 street map mural in all the guest rooms and the original artwork in our lobby. I’m further delighted to hear you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast and appreciated the convenience of it being served on each floor. Thank you again for the glowing recommendation. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 18 January 2014

The hotel was comfortable but things were a bit disjointed due to renovations ( which we were not warned of when booking) . The check in is done in a small office at an office desk .... But they did have cookies. The wine and cocktail hr each evening is nice and they provide nice snacks with it. We were in Chicago when it was insanely cold but never felt cold in the room which was good.... Even with the heating off. The room was clean but not the greatest view, no big deal. They also provided light breakfast of cereal, yoghurt, toast and pastries each morning which was adequate. We found it to be in easy walking distance to the magnificent mile shopping area and there are plenty of good restaurants close by including the one next door called 'public house', which we ate at twice ( sports bar style but very good food not just fried junk) .

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Moosey_goosey
AmalfiHotelChicago, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I’m pleased to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us. As you mentioned, our hotel lobby was recently renovated and we’re happy to let you know that it opened last Friday! However, I am sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you. We’re happy to announce that that in addition to our new lobby, our new Kinzie Hotel rooms will be available by the end of this week! I am pleased to hear you enjoyed our complimentary amenities, like our evening cocktail reception and our deluxe continental breakfast. I’m especially pleased to hear you found our location in the downtown River North district to your liking and were able to take advantage of all the nearby sites and shopping , like the Magnificent Mile and Public House. Thank you again for the lovely recommendation. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon to the new Kinzie Hotel.

Reviewed 13 January 2014

This was my wife's and my 7th trip to Chicago in the last 5 years and our first stay at the Amalfi and we were not disappointed. The location was very good. The service at the front desk for check-in was very friendly and personal, it's almost like they were actually happy we came. The room was very nice, it was quiet and the wait for an elevator was almost non-existent. This hotel is within walking distance to just about everything you need to see or do in Chicago. The only criticism i have of this hotel is the valet parking when you first arrive. There is absolutely NOWHERE to park your vehicle. I ended up having to drive around the block and turn around so I could face the opposite direction and park on the hotel side of the street. To avoid confusion, anyone travelling to this property should come up N. State Street and turn onto Kinzie. That will put you on the correct side of the street. As I said, other than this, we have absolutely no complaints and would most certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
AmalfiHotelChicago, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely review. We’re delighted to hear you and your wife enjoyed your fist stay with us! We’re especially pleased to receive such wonderful feedback about our front office team! We pride ourselves on delivering the highest level of service and it’s a pleasure to hear we came through on that promise. I’m sorry to hear that you had trouble valeting your card. We appreciate the feedback and I’ve passed it along to the appropriate departments. I am pleased to hear you liked our location in the downtown River North district and found it convenient for all your sightseeing needs! Your warm recommendation is truly appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back as the brand new Kinzie Hotel upon your next visit to Chicago!

Reviewed 13 January 2014

We had booked the Amalfi since we had stayed there before and really liked it. I found out that it was changing hands and names after booking the hotel, but kept the reservation anyway. Even with renovations taking place, the stay was excellent. Everything was up to our expectations and more! It will be interesting to find out how the transition goes when it becomes the Kinzie Hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for the 5-star review! We’re pleased to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us. As you mentioned, our hotel is converting from the Amalfi to Kinzie Hotel and we’re pleased to let you know that our new lobby just opened! While our renovated rooms weren’t ready during your stay, we’re happy to announce that our brand new Kinzie hotel rooms will be available by late next week. We invite you to come back and enjoy an enhanced Chicago experience upon your next visit to the city. Thank you again for the lovely recommendation. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 11 January 2014

We decided to combine my recent birthday with a downtown getaway. The Amalfi hotel was a great choice. Great location. Convenient to the restaurant we had chosen as well as Michigan Avenue. This is a boutique hotel, smaller, but nice. The staff was friendly, room was large for downtown. We were offered cookies upon arrival, and each given two drink tickets for their lovely bar on one of the higher floors. This venue also had free appetizers. This worked well with our later dinner reservations nearby good brunch was included in the price of the room. Great value. The next day we spent a lot of time at the Art Institute, a short cab ride away. We will come back, in warmer weather, and spend two nights.

Room Tip: Corner room at front has good view and interesting configuration. Back rooms would be a little quiet...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for the kind review! We’re so happy you chose to spend your birthday with us and to know it was an enjoyable one. I’m especially pleased to receive such kind comments about our team! We pride ourselves on delivering the highest level of service and it’s a pleasure to know we delivered on that promise. I’m further delighted to hear you enjoyed our evening reception and appreciated the wide selection of complimentary hors d’oeuvres. I’m also pleased to hear you found our central downtown location to your liking and that you were able to take advantage of all the nearby sites like Michigan Avenue and the Art Institute. Your thoughtful recommendation is truly appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back as the new Kinzie Hotel!

Reviewed 8 January 2014

I stayed again at the Amalfi in December. Another great room at a very fair price. The great thing going forward is they are updating the whole hotel including all the rooms.

We were lucky enough to get one of the newly renovated rooms all I can say is wow. Very impressive, well done. Very modern and chic. One other thing I noticed was how quiet the rooms are.

We were able to enjoy a couple of complimentary drinks during their happy hour and the continental breakfast on each floor is nice so you don't have to go down to the lobby.

Siena Tavern across the street is a hot Italian spot we were able to try, very good.

Room Tip: Until the transition is complete ask for a newly renovated room. Though in staying there b4 the oth...
1  Thank Steve B
AmalfiHotelChicago, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

What a thoughtful review! We’re so happy to hear you enjoyed your most recent stay with us. I’m delighted you got to experience one of our new Kinzie Hotel rooms and found the décor to your liking. I’m further pleased to hear you enjoyed our complimentary amenities like our deluxe continental breakfast and evening cocktail reception. And I’m pleased you had such an enjoyable dinner with our neighbors across the street at Siena Tavern. Your glowing recommendation is truly appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back as the brand new Kinzie Hotel upon your next visit to Chicago!