“Even better than the last time”
Review of Kinzie Hotel

Kinzie Hotel
Ranked #20 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 22 February 2014

This was my second stay at the hotel. They are about to change the name from Amalfi to Kinzie. The rooms have been renovated and you can certainly see the difference.

The only negative is the lack of a bar/restaurant, but they are trying to make up for it with complimentary breakfast available on each floor in the morning and free drinks served on the third floor in the evening.

I will certainly return.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank botmi
KinzieHotel, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We’re pleased to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us at the new Kinzie Hotel and found our newly renovated rooms to your liking. I’m happy to hear you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast and appreciated the convenience of it being served on each floor. I’m also happy you were able to enjoy our complimentary evening cocktail reception as well. While we don’t have our own restaurant located in the hotel, Keefer’s is located inside the same building as us and is easily accessible through our building’s joined lobby. Your thoughtful recommendation is truly appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back upon your next visit to Chicago.

There are newer reviews for Kinzie Hotel

Reviewed 21 February 2014

Staff was SUPER nice, our room was ready for early check-in, the cocktail hour was great (decent drinks and yummy snacks), rooms were spectacularly clean & very nice and the continental breakfast was delicious (with lots of healthy choices)! The location was perfect! I cannot think of one bad thing about this hotel. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Keri B

Many thanks for the 5-star review! We’re overjoyed to receive such wonderful guest feedback on everything from our team to our newly renovated rooms. I’m happy you enjoyed our complimentary amenities like our deluxe continental breakfast and appreciated the wide selection of healthy items. I’m also happy you were able to indulge in our complimentary evening cocktail reception. And I’m pleased to hear you enjoyed our central location in downtown Chicago. We truly appreciate your warm recommendation. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 17 February 2014

We stayed at the Kinzie for 2 nights, and what a great place to stay at. The room was impeccable and comfortable, the service was great. I was so happy with its central location, many places are within walking distance. I like that they had the continental breakfast on every floor (did not have to go very far for my coffee) when I first woke up, it was by far one of the best Continental Breakfast to have and it will bring us back for another stay. The Complimentary deluxe continental breakfast and the Nightly Manager's Reception are great perks to have. We will definitely book another stay at the Kinzie Hotel and recommend it for others to stay at.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Shereen C
KinzieHotel, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

What a thoughtful review! We’re thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay at the new Kinzie Hotel! I’m happy you found our newly renovated rooms to your liking. I’m also pleased that you were able to take advantage of our location in the downtown River North district and our close proximity to so many restaurants and attractions. I’m further pleased to hear you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast and appreciated the convenience of it being served on each floor. And I’m happy you were able to enjoy our complimentary evening cocktail reception as well. Your 5-star recommendation is truly appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 9 February 2014

Stayed at the Amalfi / Kenzie hotel for 3 days / 2 nights. Great location with plenty of restaurants and bars close by. Only a 5 minute walk to Northbridge mall on Michigan Ave.and 4 blocks from the Merchandise Mart.
Quick and easy check in and check out. The bellmen were wonderful as the weather was incredibly cold (6 degrees as the high) and snowy.
The rooms were recently renovated. The bed was absolutely fantastic! I should have looked at the tag and ordered one for home.
There is a happy hour every evening. Unfortunately the lounge this is held in was being renovated so it was held in the elevator lobby on the 3rd floor. Still a great variety of snacks and adult beverages.

Room Tip: If you stay on the 2nd floor, there is a parking garage underneath and you hear the alarms that go o...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
KinzieHotel, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Thank you for the lovely review. We’re happy to hear you had a “great” stay with us at the new Kinzie Hotel. I’m pleased to hear you found our newly renovated rooms to your liking—especially our Serta Perfect Sleeper Signature Suite Plush Mattresses! I’m further pleased to hear how helpful our bellmen were as well. We pride ourselves on delivering the highest level of service and it’s always a pleasure to hear we came through on that promise. I’m also pleased to hear you enjoyed our location in the downtown River North district and were able to take advantage of all the surrounding restaurants and sites, like the Shops at North Bridge and the Merchandise Mart. I’m happy you were also able to indulge in our complimentary evening manager’s reception and hope you will be able to come back to enjoy it in our new Double Cross Lounge. We truly appreciate your warm recommendation. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 9 February 2014

I get a hotel in the city all the time and I happen to know that for my purposes (just a bed and a place to park the car) just about any hotel downtown will be fine. I happened to need a room again for this reason as I was planning on taking a cab to the birthday party I was attending so location did not matter to me. I booked the Kinzie this time because of what I assume was a mistaken rate on the HotelTonight smartphone app of $9 for the night. Yes, nine dollars. $11 with tax.

While I assume the rate was a typo and the HotelTonight app people took a bath on the rate, it worked out great for me. The hotel is very centrally located in the river north area on a nice quiet street between two massively busy streets which is nice. Knowing the hotel is going through some name changes and renovations, and considering the rate I got, I am more than forgiving on any small transitional nuances that may have occurred. For example, they do not have a sign out front other than a street side sign that I originally overlooked as it would normally be a 'valet' sign. Also, when I pulled up I was a little confused as to where the property was, but that was due to the large charter bus blocking the entrance. The other thing I normally look for is a door man which I did not see as he was inside hiding from the cold and helping others with their luggage.

Upon pulling up, the door man did promptly run up to my car to help me and my buddy with our bags, which consisted of 1 back pack each. He is also the valet so I handed him my keys and we walked inside. The lobby is very modern, nice, and clean. There are no frills and it's quite small, but that's no worry. There are a few places to sit but the lobby as a whole felt more like a large apartment lobby rather than a hotel lobby. The front desk staff were extremely nice and helped us check-in very quickly. She even offered us a bottle of water or asked if we needed anything.

Upon going to our room, we were very happy with our arrangement. Two guys and two double bed, perfect. The room was clean, modern, and quiet. The beds were comfy with ample pillows and after a night of parting with some 20-somethings, very welcome. The continental breakfast was standard with some twists. They has your typical danishes and donuts and muffins, but everything was very high end and delicious. They had cheese sticks and plenty of bottled drinks from OJ to fruit juice to milk. We were right by the elevator so stumbling out of our room vs going down to a lobby was very nice.

On the negative side, there were just a few things that were not a big deal. For example, the hotel Wifi still had the SSID (name) of the hold hotel. I figured it out, but I could see that confusing certain travelers. Also, the door closer on the bathroom door had one of the bolts loose and off, but the door still closed itself. The only real issue we had was that in our room with 2 double beds, the bathroom only had 1 bath towel and 1 hand towel. We only had a 2 hour drive home so didn't need a shower, and I'm sure a simple call to the front desk would have remedied this situation very expediently, but still an oversight.

Overall, a great hotel and I would have no problem recommending it to anyone. Given it's location, it's perfect for the traveler looking for a night or weekend in the city where shopping, high end food, and entertainment, are all within walking distance.

I normally just find the lowest rate at a 4+star hotel in the city (which really all of them are) and for the Kinzie, I would have no problem staying there again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind review. We’re delighted to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us at the brand-new Kinzie Hotel. As you mentioned, we experienced a glitch in the HotelTonight system but always honor the rate confirmed and we’re happy you were able to enjoy the deal of a lifetime! We’re pleased to hear you liked our new lobby décor as well as our comfortable new rooms and in-room bedding. However, I’m sorry to hear about the lack of bathroom towels, as well as the loose bolt. I’ve passed that feedback along to the appropriate departments to ensure those issues are addressed right away. I am pleased to receive such kind comments about our front office team and will be sure to pass those along. I also appreciate your comments about our complimentary, high-speed WiFi and I’m happy to let you know we made that name change to our network. I’m further pleased to hear you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast and appreciated the wide selection of new breakfast items, as well as the convenience of it being served on each guest floor. Your 5-star recommendation is truly appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 8 February 2014

I planned a surprise trip for my wife's 60th birthday and it included a stop in Chicago for 3 days.
I picked this hotel from the internet mostly because of it's central location which didn't require a rental. Pre-dinner free cocktail/hors d'ouvres is a very nice perk and the continental breakfast on each floor is the nicest/largest I have seen anywhere.
For me the thing that impressed me the most and which will be the reason I would return,was the attitude of the staff. From Melissa,the guest services manager who helped me keep the visit a secret and added a few nice personal touches on her own,Trey the engaging bellman and the housekeeping supervisor who saw us sitting in the lobby, waiting for our room to clear,went to find out which room , personally went to be sure it was completed and then came to advise us....it was abundantly obvious that the attitude of the staff is that of genuine service to and interest in the patrons.Apparently a reflection of managements' attitude, at least at SOME level.
A VERY PLEASANT experience to a critical portion of the entire trip.

WELL DONE..... KINZIE HOTEL (PREVIOUSLY..AMALFI)

Room Tip: just contact Melissa and let her know what you are looking for...you WILL get personal attention!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RetiredMD

What a thoughtful review! We’re overjoyed to hear you and your wife enjoyed celebrating her 60th birthday with us at the newly renovated Kinzie Hotel! I’m especially pleased to receive such wonderful feedback about our entire hotel team. We pride ourselves on delivering the highest level of service and it’s a pleasure to hear we delivered on that promise. I’m happy to hear you were able to take advantage of our central downtown Chicago location as well. I’m also pleased to hear you enjoyed our complimentary amenities, like our deluxe continental breakfast and evening cocktail reception. We truly appreciate your glowing recommendation. We look forward to welcoming you both back very soon!

Reviewed 29 January 2014

I stayed at the Almafi soon to be Kinzie Hotel over the weekend of January 24 and it was a great experience. The location is dynamite right near Harry Carrys, the Public House and a block away from my favorite steak house Ruth's Chris in Rivernorth section. The art deco decort is a pleasant change from the mundaneness of the commodity corporate flags one would get from a westin or hyatt. the staff is great and very welcoming. The rooms are nice appointed with flat screens, in room refrigerators, snack bar and hot towels. There is a complimentary breakfast area on the fifth floor with fresh muffins, danishes, fruit and cereal for the on the go traveler. The fitness center on the fifth floor is complete with new equipment and flat screen tv. the lobby is very chic and understated which makes you feel a good level of personal touch. The new ownership has brought a great chicago flavor to the hotel with a great mural of the green line in the lobby and the newly renovated rooms have neighborhood maps. This is the only pace i would stay in the Windy City. - MJ

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
AmalfiHotelChicago, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

Many thanks for the 5-star review! We’re thrilled to hear you enjoyed your recent stay in our newly renovated hotel. I’m happy to hear you found our location in the downtown River North district to your liking and were able to take advantage of all the nearby restaurants—like Harry Caray’s and Public House. I’m especially pleased to hear you liked our fresh, Chicago-inspired décor and our in-room amenities, like the mini-fridges and new 42-inch flat screen televisions. I’m especially happy you appreciated the Chicago-inspired design touches like the 1857 street map mural in all the guest rooms and the original artwork in our lobby. I’m further delighted to hear you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast and appreciated the convenience of it being served on each floor. Thank you again for the glowing recommendation. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon!