“Fine, but not boutique” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Arnhem, The Netherlands
“Fine, but not boutique”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

Advertised as a boutique hotel, I did not find this to be as boutique as I would hoped. Yes, the location is great and the quality is good, but for me it did not bring that extra charm you would expect. The breakfast is served in a buffet style on each floor and does not exceed the level of your average nation wide chain of just off the highway hotels which are part of a well known hotel group.

Also the value is good, but again not great. The biggest assets for me were the location and the new look and feel. Nice thing is that they do have an in-house 'cocktail lounge' for which I got two free drinks on checking in, I found that a nice gimmick.

Room Tip: Difficult to say - downtown location so highrises all around.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
KinzieHotel, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with the TripAdvisor community. We’re pleased to hear you found our newly renovated rooms and décor to your liking. I’m sorry to hear our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast was not up to your standards. Many of our guests often rave about our breakfast and I will be following up with you directly for more details. We are always looking for ways we can improve our hotel and appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. I am happy you found our central downtown location to your liking as well. Thank you again for taking the time to share your review. We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back upon your next visit to Chicago.

Guest Experience Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (443)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Wilmington, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

My husband and I took a much needed vacation to Chicago (our first time here). It is so centrally located, it made exploring Chicago a breeze. Hotel is clean, quiet and over all a beautiful boutique hotel. From the morning breakfast (which is on each floor) to the evening cocktail hour, everything was perfect for getting the day started and a refreshing drink to wind down or begin your evening. The staff was so helpful and courteous and made us feel very welcome (since I booked through Travelocity I wasn't sure how our reception would be). The next time we visit Chicago we will stay at the Kinzie.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 5th floor which was quiet.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for the lovely review! It’s a pleasure to hear you and your husband enjoyed your recent stay with us at the new Kinzie Hotel. I’m happy to hear you enjoyed our complimentary amenities, like our deluxe continental breakfast and our evening cocktail reception. I agree that our reception is a great way to unwind or start your night off! I’m especially pleased to receive such kind feedback about our team! We pride ourselves on delivering the highest level of service and it’s a pleasure to hear we came through on that promise. We truly appreciate your warm recommendation. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you and your husband back very soon!

Galway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a five night stay in the hotel. Booked directly with hotel and got a great deal. We'll worth paying extra for corner room (5th floor) with great views down towards river. Room spacious, bright and clean. Complimentary breakfast on each floor nice touch and we got 10 vouchers for a free drink which we used over our stay. Very nice way to start your evening with a free drink and snacks. Hotel ideally situated close to Magnificent Mile" shopping, lake shore, Willis Tower, Navy Pier and river, all within walking distance. Took the Blue Line train to and from O Hare airport and only short 5 minute walk to hotel. Staff very friendly and helpful and appreciated their recommendation to take the Architectural River Cruise which departed within a 5 minute walk from hotel. Many restaurants in the vicinity to meet all tastes. Sienna Tavern, John Barleycorn and The Gage (24 St. Michigan Ave) and the Kerryman (Nth Clark St) are where we ate and also had lunch in the Public House next door to hotel. Disappointed with food in Harry Caray's, expensive and served too fast.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for the wonderful feedback! We’re flattered you chose to stay with us for your first Chicago visit! I’m delighted to hear you found our newly renovated rooms and décor to your liking. I’m especially pleased to hear you enjoyed our location in the downtown River North district and were able to take advantage of all the nearby sites and restaurants like the Magnificent Mile and Siena Tavern. I am sorry to hear that the food from our neighbors, Harry Caray’s, was not to your liking. I appreciate your feedback and have passed it along to their management team. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast and appreciated the convenience of it being served on each floor. I’m also happy you were able to indulge in our evening cocktail reception. We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your kind review. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you and your wife back for another Chicago getaway soon!

Andover, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

A friend of mine selected this place on a whim and raved about it. When my wife and I went on a trip to Chicago for a long weekend, we decided to try the Kinzie. Location was on West Kinzie, just a block north of the Chicago river and a block or so from Michigan Ave (Magnificent Mile), walking distance to boat tours, Millenium Park, the Art Institute of Chicago, etc. The place was very clean and well maintained. The rooms were quiet and spacious. They offer both a complementary breakfast in the morning and Happy Hour in the evening.

The people working there were also exceptionally helpful. The concierge provided a number of great restaurant recommendations as well as suggestions on the best ways to get to various activities. The also provide discount tickets to some of the popular attractions (Skydeck at Willis Tower).

Great place to stay if you're in the Chicago area!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Many thanks for the 5-star review! We’re overjoyed to hear you and your wife had a “fantastic” weekend getaway with us at the new Kinzie Hotel. I’m pleased to hear you were able to take advantage of our central downtown location and visit all the nearby sites like Millennium Park and the Art Institute of Chicago. I’m further pleased to hear how helpful our front office team was and that you were able to take advantage of the discounted tickets we offer to the Skydeck and so many of Chicago’s wonderful attractions. I’m happy you enjoyed our complimentary amenities, like our deluxe continental breakfast and evening cocktail reception. We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your warm recommendation. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you and your wife back soon!

Richmond, VA, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

We were pleasantly surprised at the great value we got at the Kinzie Hotel. Everything was included, from breakfast, to Internet access, to complimentary appetizers and drinks each night. The location is perfect for both business travelers and visitors, and many of Chicago's highlights are within walking distance.

All of the staff was extremely friendly, helpful, and attentive, especially the bar staff during happy hour. The front desk and bell staff always provided a warm welcome when we got back to the hotel.

The post-renovation look of the rooms is a great blend of function and modern design. There are tons of outlets and USB ports in the room, and the bathroom is very spacious. Our favorite place to hang out and have breakfast was the bench by the large windows with a view of the surrounding buildings.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room on a high floor (the hotel only goes up to the 6th floor)
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
KinzieHotel, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Thank you for the kind review! We’re so pleased to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us at the new Kinzie Hotel. I’m delighted to hear you found our newly renovated rooms to your liking and appreciated the new touches, like the copious in-room outlets and USB ports. I’m further pleased to hear you enjoyed our complimentary amenities like our deluxe continental breakfast, upgraded WiFi and evening cocktail reception. And it’s a pleasure to receive such wonderful feedback about our front office team. We take great pride in delivering the highest level of service and it’s a pleasure to hear we came through on that promise. Your 5-star recommendation is truly appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Chatham, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

I've been to the Kinzie hotel quite often these last few weeks for work related purposes in the Chicago area. I remember the first time I checked into my room, I was blown away by the quality of the room. It was the perfect place for me to unwind after a long day at work. The services they offered, such as a dining area on the sixth floor and an exercise room on the fifth, helped me settle in a home away from home. In addition, the location of the hotel is just a heartbeat away from many attractions in the Chicago area.

What was really helpful for me was the parking services. When I had to leave in the morning to go to work, I could call the front desk from my room and have my car brought up and ready to go just as I am getting out of the elevator, which really saves some time getting to the work site. The staff at the Kinzie are also very pleasant and perform their duties with a smile on their faces as they helped make my day a little bit easier. All in all, the Kinzie hotel is a highly efficient and very comforting hotel spot for any traveler checking in. If you're looking for a hotel that puts your needs first, the Kinzie is the place for you.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to share your kind review with the TripAdvisor community. We’re happy to hear you’ve enjoyed your recent stays with us. I’m pleased to hear you found our newly renovated rooms and décor to your liking. I’m also happy you were able to take advantage of our central location in downtown Chicago and all the surrounding attractions. It’s a pleasure to hear you were able to take advantage of all our complimentary amenities, including our 24-hour Fitness Center. As you mentioned, we do offer 24-hour valet parking for $56/night with unlimited in-and-out privileges and I’m delighted to hear how convenient that service was for you during your stay. Your glowing recommendation is truly appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Lake Orion, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

Great location Wonderful Breakfast and Happy Hour. The room and amenities were clean and first class. Front desk staff was courteous. Thanks to Katie Russell who handled a forgotten item for my wife with especial grace.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you kindly for the rave review! We’re delighted to hear you and your wife had an enjoyable stay with us at the new Kinzie Hotel. I’m pleased to receive such kind comments about our front office team and will be sure to pass those along! I’m further delighted to hear you enjoyed our complimentary amenities, like our deluxe continental breakfast and our evening cocktail reception. We truly appreciate your thoughtful recommendation. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon!